Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to kitsune

Premium Member

to kitsune

Re: Time Machine craps out in 10.8.2

said by kitsune:

The way time machine works did not change in 10.8. It will automatically backup any file that has been changed since the last backup. VM's usually cause the backup to fill quickly because they store the entire VM in a single file. So any time you open the VM that file is changed and triggers time machine to back it up.

Now I'm not saying that this is definitely your problem, just that it could be contributing to it.

I would open console and search system.log for backupd to find more information.

PS as an FYI your backup should be larger than the amount of data you are backing up. The first backup is for the entire contents and then every hour it will backup whatever has changed. Eventually it will fill any size drive you decide to use. Normally, it will consolidate backups to make them take up less space and once it gets close to full erase older backups. However, yours is filling so quickly those processes are not being triggered.

My VM (W7 in Fusion) is open all the time.

The TM disk is 1.5TB in a FW enclosure and is connected via FW800.

The disks in the Mac are a RAID 1 at 1TB with 300GB free. So, the TM disk should have plenty of capacity.

The thing is TM will start up and say it has 35MB to backup. Then it starts counting up the data it has backed up. Before you know it TM is saying it has to back up a gig. Then 2, then 3, then 4, then 30, then 35 and then it yells because the disk is full.

I'll look into the logs.

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie

See what I mean, more trouble than it worth.....CCC/ mere minutes, have your whole 500 Gig HD cloned/backed up!!!!!!!
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by kerriskandie:

See what I mean, more trouble than it worth.....CCC/ mere minutes, have your whole 500 Gig HD cloned/backed up!!!!!!!

I'm really happy you like CCC. But TM has worked well for 5 years now for me. I'd like to get it fixed.