formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to jmck

Re: Switch from Teksavvy Cable 28/1 to Teksavvy DSL 25/10

another alternative to 'test' it is to simply go with Bell, they have free activation/install and they also let you cancel the service within 10 days I believe. If you're happy with it then you could cancel and place an order with TSI.

Just note that Bell's network isn't having capacity issues right now compared to TSI, but it will let you know what you can actually sync to.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to eweazel
the TSI DSL service is over capacity and you won't get near max download speeds, on top of that you'll get a bit of packet loss making gaming/video streaming annoying. I would guess your upload speeds would be good since upload is almost impossible to be saturated.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to kisame
said by kisame:

Thanks for your response, even though i don't really understand all the technical stuff .

So the only way for me to really know if i can achieve the 10mbit up at my area, as that's the only reason I want to switch, i have to spend about $200.00 and test it? (95.00 activation fee, 20.00 dry loop activation, 10.00 dry loop fee Band C, 52.00 service, 8.00 modem rental)

I am on the 25/10, my download is at the full 25, but my upload maxes out at 5.4. So yeah the only way you will truly see is once you are up and running.

kisame

join:2012-03-28
k5f2kd
reply to taraf
Thanks for your response, even though i don't really understand all the technical stuff .

So the only way for me to really know if i can achieve the 10mbit up at my area, as that's the only reason I want to switch, i have to spend about $200.00 and test it? (95.00 activation fee, 20.00 dry loop activation, 10.00 dry loop fee Band C, 52.00 service, 8.00 modem rental)

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to kisame
Renting the modem is not optional, and your speed will depend on your individual line quality. As long as you have a good quality line and are reasonably close to the DLSAM, you can reasonably expect to have the full 25/10. As far as provisioning goes, I've never heard of issues with DSLAMs having slow speeds that weren't caused by an outage: the reason Rogers/cable has problems with lots of subscribers in an area is because the cable network is a shared loop with a maximum bandwidth for the *whole* loop.

IIRC, D3 describes a maximum of 480mbit, shared by up to 100-200 households, while the modern DSLAMs that Bell's using (VDSL2 equipment by Alcatel/Lucent) have up to 10 gigabit (but more commonly 1 gigabit) shared between up to 144 customers (or up to 192 customers on the new stuff where you'd see 10GbE). You *can* get 100mbit on a cable connection, but if there's 15 people trying to get 100mbit at the same time you're not likely to see more than 30...

Worth noting, it does say "up to" when discussing the speeds... the upload in particular is very susceptible to differences in distance (because of the frequencies Bell puts it on), and it's not likely you'll get the full 10mbit upload speed. Their qualification tool will tell you that you can get the 25/10 as long as they expect you to be able to get 25mbit download which, at the upper limits of the distance where that sync can be maintained, would limit you to about 1mbit upload. This, of course, relies on your being in an area serviced by copper.... if you're in an area with FTTH, you *will* get the advertised speed.

kisame

join:2012-03-28
k5f2kd
Curious if anyone in barrhaven can comment on there speeds with the DSL package?

Also wondering if the only option is to rent the Sagemcom F@ST 2864, or if we can purchase a modem somewhere else? I saw a few of that brand on the Montreal kijiji page.

Thanks