spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Mobile app to scan wireless usage?

Since late December, I have been experiencing a lot of buffering when streaming netflix. What is typically a feed of 9-12 Mbps is often getting down to 1 Mbps or lower. Someone had suggested that it could be more people in my area using wireless. I am doubtful based on where I live but it's as good a theory as any.

He had suggested netstumbler but I cannot figure out how in the world to confirgure it to scan for use. Is there a mobile app I can use on my phone that anyone is aware of to scan the area? I'm thinking that might be better for a technically deficient person (at least as it's related to networking).

Thanks!

mack1951
Universal Soldier
join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

mack1951

If your phone is an Android Wifi Analyzer is a great app. Shows lots of info and it's free.
lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to fishacura

to fishacura
This one is for PC's and is cloud based:

»tools.meraki.com/stumbler
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

Thank you SO much! This is EXACTLY what I needed. It confirmed my suspicions that there's not a ton of other use in my area. Throughout the day I see 6-7 networks and it's limited to 2 of us on channel 1, 2 on channel 6 and 2 on channel 11. It's just not enough use to be impacting my mbps. So something had to be going on either from Verizons end (what is coming into the house) or on netflixs end. I heard Neflix had a complete outage on Christmas eve. I wonder if there are related issues lingering that are causing slow transfer rates?