All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
yalag
join:2011-08-15
m2n0c2

yalag

[Internet] Does Bell throttle and no overages?

I just gave Bell business a call to sign up for internet and it seems too good to be true. He told me I can have a line (10/1) for $30 a month, no activation fee, no overages (even though the limit is supposed to be 300Gb but I can go over it no problem). Is this normal for Bell? Because I'm switching from teksavvy and there I'm paying close to $45 for a 5/1 line. Doesn't seem right to me...

Also, another question, Teksavvy does not throttle, does Bell throttle?

Sorry I'm a new Bell user so these might be newbie questions.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

At best it sounds improbable.

A quick check of Bell small business plans shows that each one has caps on usage (300 GB/month).
yalag
m2n0c2

yalag

Right, it does have a cap. But I was told my the rep that there would be no overages? Which is why I'm really skeptical and wanted to ask here. Is this true?

capme2
@bell.ca

capme2 to yalag

Anon

to yalag
Bell claims that they do not throttle, however they still reserve the right to "manage" traffic so they may bring them back whenever its suits them. If/when they do bring back throttling they will make an announcement, one that is cleverly hidden on your bill in such a way it goes unnoticed.

Oh yes you have caps, if the agent said they don't he/she/it is a liar, Bell has some of the lowest caps with the highest overage fees. Login to bell.ca and have a look at your account details, it should list your usage caps and plan.

You might be on some sort of contract which waves fees for a limited (as in less than the length of the contract). If so you will find a large hole in your wallet the moment those discounts expire.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to yalag

Premium Member

to yalag
Ah I see what you mean; they do talk about it, but never say what the penalty is for going over it. According to Bell.ca, a 10/1 plan is around 100 bucks per month (plus onetime activation/installation fees), not sure how they offer it for 1/3 the price.

Since you signed up, call your rep and press for details, I can't find any reference in their material which suggests extra fees, only that they have a limit. You might have access to your service agreement or contract via logging into your account at Bell.ca. Failing that you might try a post over in Bell Direct and see if they can help.
»Bell Canada Direct
yalag
m2n0c2

yalag

I haven't signed up yet, should I ask to see the contract? How do I get her to confirm that there isn't overages (and if so how many months)

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

said by yalag:

I haven't signed up yet, should I ask to see the contract?

YES! and read it before you agree to it.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to yalag

to yalag
i don't believe you can get business on a residential line without changing your line to business
yalag
m2n0c2

yalag

I'm not getting business on a residential line though, this is a completely new line.
EA
join:2013-01-12
Nepean, ON

EA to capme2

to capme2
said by capme2 :

Bell claims that they do not throttle, however they still reserve the right to "manage" traffic so they may bring them back whenever its suits them. If/when they do bring back throttling they will make an announcement, one that is cleverly hidden on your bill in such a way it goes unnoticed.

Oh yes you have caps, if the agent said they don't he/she/it is a liar, Bell has some of the lowest caps with the highest overage fees. Login to bell.ca and have a look at your account details, it should list your usage caps and plan.

You might be on some sort of contract which waves fees for a limited (as in less than the length of the contract). If so you will find a large hole in your wallet the moment those discounts expire.

This. Bell's caps are terrible. I think its 30 - 50 GB. And it was 15 GB for me when I was under their contract. This isn't even adaquate for casually browsing the internet.

Since internet speeds have gone up, websites insert more scripts, java and other media which adds up to that limit pretty fast. 300GB is alright but knowing bell, it's for the first 3 months.

Bell doesn't throttle. Teksavvy doesn't throttle. I think they can't do that legally because it requires deep packet inspection which is a privacy issue.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to yalag

to yalag
Rogers has never had caps on it's business internet products. Perhaps, Bell has introduced a promo to compete. I'd stil try to get it in writing if possible or record the telephone conversation to be safe.