join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Thinking of getting a Wii U

I am thinking of getting a Wii U. Several questions

1. Is it backwards compatible with Wii games
2. Does it have an output for standard definition TV
3. Opinions please: Is it worth the upgrade.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by IowaCowboy:

1. yes

2. Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI™, Wii Component Video, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

3. If you are only going to play it on a SDTV why bother upgrading?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by IowaCowboy:

1. yes

2. Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI™, Wii Component Video, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

3. If you are only going to play it on a SDTV why bother upgrading?

1. It's not only backwards compatible, but you can transfer your saves and downloaded games from your Wii to your Wii U. Be aware that, at least in the case of downloads, once you transfer them you'll be unable to play them on the Wii. I didn't opt to do the system transfer myself, since I don't plan on getting rid of my Wii.

2. There is an output for HDMI and then the multi-out cable that comes with the Wii works as well if you don't have HDMI.

3. Yes, it's worth the upgrade. Even if you'll be playing on a standard definition set. The games are fun. The graphics are awesome too, but I appreciate the gameplay much more than the graphics. BF69, consider also that some people might move the system between multiple TVs, and not all TVs in their house might be HD. The TV in my room is HD, the TV in our living room is standard definition. If my daughter has friends over to play, I'll move the console downstairs to that TV rather than have them crowd into my bedroom. Kids are less picky about graphical quality than adults, which is why the HDTV is in my bedroom and the standard def TV is in the family room. My daughter's not old enough to appreciate the difference.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Upgrade from what? From a Wii, probably. From PS3/360, no.

Honestly if you only have a wii right now, I'd buy a PS3 or 360 for cheaper and enjoy the tons of great games that never came to the Wii, most of which you can get for pretty cheap these days. Also, get an HDTV already.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'd say this is a rather premature Q to ask. I got bored of the Wii pretty fast. The Wii U is pretty much the same with two big changes IMO: Nintendo TV and new Gamepad. Is that worth $250-$350? For me I don't know since the tech is still new. Not enough games out and none of the current content really make great use of the gamepad.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Use the money and buy an HDTV?
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
How old are you or do you have young kids?

I'm sure some older folk do enjoy the Wii, but generally it's for kids. I have a 360 so maybe I'm biased, but as an adult I have no desire for the Wii games.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by TherapyChick:

I'm sure some older folk do enjoy the Wii, but generally it's for kids. I have a 360 so maybe I'm biased, but as an adult I have no desire for the Wii games.

29 (will be 30 in October).

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

I'm 31, and I have both a 360 and a Wii U. It just depends on what kind of games you enjoy. I'll be the first to say that not everyone will enjoy the Wii U games. But I sort of bristle at the implied statement that you must be young (i.e. not an adult) or only have kids in order to want one. Sometimes I have more fun with it than my daughter does. I've actually found a lot of the Nintendo Land mini-games require a significant deal more patience than many young gamers would possess.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by danawhitaker:

said by TherapyChick:

I'm 31, and I have both a 360 and a Wii U. It just depends on what kind of games you enjoy. I'll be the first to say that not everyone will enjoy the Wii U games. But I sort of bristle at the implied statement that you must be young (i.e. not an adult) or only have kids in order to want one. Sometimes I have more fun with it than my daughter does. I've actually found a lot of the Nintendo Land mini-games require a significant deal more patience than many young gamers would possess.

I didn't mean it to be insulting, I have a few adult friends (30's) who enjoy it, but in *general*, and could just be my opinion, most of the games are geared towards younger folk, idk, I guess I'm just digging my hole deeper and it's probably just me.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

29 (will be 30 in October).

So still a kid then.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Honestly, Nintendo isn't bringing forth a device with enough processing power or video capabilities. You're honestly better off going with a PS3 or Xbox360 these days for better game libraries and potential for gaming enjoyment.

I personally have my PC and my 360, and i have no need for anything else (besides my DS and Android phone for mobile gaming).

Until Nintendo can bring some ACTUAL competition to the gaming market, my money's better spent on Microsoft in this race.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

2 recommendations

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Click for full size
Just got back from the Holyoke Mall. Best Buy refused to price match BJ's who was selling the system for $344.99 and Best Buy had it for $349.99 but I had a $50 gift card to Best Buy from my aunt for Christmas (since she knows nothing about gadgets). I also had $50 from Grandma for Christmas as well. And then I got soaked by the kleptocracy of Massachusetts about $21.87 in sales tax (6.25 percent).

I think the reason Best Buy refused to price match is that BJ's is a membership based warehouse (like Sam's Club nationally) and the membership fee subsidizes the products so they are not a true competitor.

I have my Wii U Console, when I get paid again, I'll have to buy Super Mario Bros U.

At least I bought this at the beginning of the product life cycle. I made the mistake of buying the original Xbox about 6 months before it was discontinued since I know more about Nintendo.

You can tell by the comforter that I am a die hard Nintendo fan.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You have every reason in the world to purchase it if you're a Nintendo fan.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to RedMageX

Premium Member

to RedMageX
said by RedMageX:

Honestly, Nintendo isn't bringing forth a device with enough processing power or video capabilities. You're honestly better off going with a PS3 or Xbox360 these days for better game libraries and potential for gaming enjoyment.

I personally have my PC and my 360, and i have no need for anything else (besides my DS and Android phone for mobile gaming).

Until Nintendo can bring some ACTUAL competition to the gaming market, my money's better spent on Microsoft in this race.

Gaming isn't all about graphics. And if you're looking for games that are generally exclusive to Nintendo consoles, then Xbox and PS3 won't have those. The reasons you give for not buying a Wii U are biased in favor of your preferences. Gaming enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder, and graphics do not necessarily equate enjoyment for all players. They do for some, and for those people, I will fully grant they're better off with a PS3 or a 360. But for people who aren't as focused on that one single area, and who might really enjoy Nintendo's library of games (and who are willing to buy into a console early knowing the launch library wasn't huge), then it's a pretty easy decision.
DaMonster
join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ

DaMonster to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I love my Wii U so far, ZombieU is amazing. I do not have a ps3 or xbox 360 since I played most games on my PC however I am looking forward to playing assassins creed 3, lego undercover, batman dark asylum, black ops, ninja gaiden, bayonetta 2, and dark siders 2. I love the controller, its very comfortable like the original large xbox controller and the graphics are just as awesome on the tablet. You can watch the zombieu trailer on amazon and get a feel for some of its capabilities. Since I played most of my games lately on pc im looking forward to using this new controller and finally playing these games console style.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker
Old school gaming, Yes, it wasn't all about graphics, back in the day, but gameplay and design. Nowadays people are expecting a good experience overall, through graphics, story telling, gameplay and the overall immersive experience.

I've felt that since the SNES/N64 era, Nintendo just lost it's Mojo over the years. Losing the exclusive rights to the Final Fantasy series (and other Square-Enix games), rinsing and repeating the same old tired franchises and just not innovating in the right ways or providing a decent console since the 90's.

Games exclusive to Nintendo now are just rehashes of the same old tired content. The "New" Super mario bros they recently released (I think for 3DS) was just a carbon copy of the previous game repackaged and resold. Why would I want to support a company that blatently treats it's customer base like idiots that wouldn't know the difference. It is just simply offensive and I wouldn't give Nintendo a penny until they change their ways and stop creating stupid gimick consoles (wiimotes and tablets?? come on!)

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by RedMageX:

Old school gaming, Yes, it wasn't all about graphics, back in the day, but gameplay and design. Nowadays people are expecting a good experience overall, through graphics, story telling, gameplay and the overall immersive experience.

I've felt that since the SNES/N64 era, Nintendo just lost it's Mojo over the years. Losing the exclusive rights to the Final Fantasy series (and other Square-Enix games), rinsing and repeating the same old tired franchises and just not innovating in the right ways or providing a decent console since the 90's.

Games exclusive to Nintendo now are just rehashes of the same old tired content. The "New" Super mario bros they recently released (I think for 3DS) was just a carbon copy of the previous game repackaged and resold. Why would I want to support a company that blatently treats it's customer base like idiots that wouldn't know the difference. It is just simply offensive and I wouldn't give Nintendo a penny until they change their ways and stop creating stupid gimick consoles (wiimotes and tablets?? come on!)

Again, that's your opinion. Not all "people" require awesome graphics in order to enjoy a game. I'm not a Nintendo worshiper. I appreciate and enjoy aspects of what each company has to offer. Graphics are only a tiny portion of the fun that many types of games have to offer. I've been playing the Angry Birds Trilogy for the 360. Yeah, it looks pretty, but that's the furthest thing from my mind when I'm 3-starring a level. I just finished the Cars game on the 360 too. The graphics were so-so, the camera angles were terrible, but the story and the mini-games were fun. When I'm playing Band Hero, graphics are the last thing on my mind. When my daughter and I fire up the Wii U, I don't care about graphics. I care about having fun with her. Mock the tablet all you want, but it offers a level of gameplay I've never experienced from the Xbox or Playstation in any of its forms. It gives gamers of different skill levels the opportunity to play together without one player feeling incredibly frustrated.

And mock Nintendo for rehashing the same franchises if you want, but Sony and Microsoft do the same thing too. Except they go by names like Forza and Halo and Call of Duty and Gran Turismo and iteration after iteration of the same tired sports franchises. What you're blaming Nintendo for, all the companies are guilty of. The newest Super Mario Bros for the Wii U is incredibly fun, is hard compared to older versions, and offers great co-op via the Wii U's gamepad. My daughter, who found the core game frustrating with its difficulty, *loves* helping me on the Game Pad while I play.

And, mock the gimmick aspect of the Nintendo consoles, but if it was such a stupid idea that no one liked, than why did Microsoft and Sony make sure to compete with them by pushing the Kinect and Move peripherals? I will be completely floored if at least Sony or Microsoft doesn't offer a similar controller to the Wii U's gamepad.

Again, I want to stress, I am *not* a Nintendo fangirl. It just seems like somewhere along the way some people lost the focus about what's supposed to be fun about games. If graphics are everything, why are Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo tripping all over each other to re-release rehashes of old games in their respective digital shops? Humor me and check out a release list for the last month or so. Most of it is download only content, and most of it ends up being rehashes of older games, or graphically unintensive games that also end up on smartphones. Sony in particular does a lot of this, with the Vita and PS3.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to RedMageX

Premium Member

to RedMageX
I have a 360, PS3, wii, and now the Wii U. I can understand some of what you say about the games, but with the Wii U they are picking up the mainstream titles. And the Gamepad is actually a great little device. Being able to use the old wii remotes with the new system along with the pad is great. So far there are limited games, but the integration with the pad is way above my expectations so far. The screen on it looks great, has a built in camera, and it sounds great. Another perk? My daughter can be playing Super Mario Brothers on the pad while we are watching TV. No need to battle for TV time. Netflix, Amazon movies, Hulu, all can watch on the pad. So far I am really digging it. Also being able to add up to a 2 TB external drive is great.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker
My point about franchises being rehashed is that the latest entry from the Mario franchise was an EXACT COPY of the previous game with nothing really new added to it.

The Halo, CoD Madden Warfare, Forza, Gran Turismo, Battlefield series all bring NEW things to the table. New campaigns, new multiplayer features, updated graphics. Hell, they completely revamped Halo: Combat Evolved with completely new graphics (and you can revert back to the old graphics in real time if you want) and they even say straight up it's a HD re-release of the old game.

My argument stands in that Nintendo are still rehashing franchises that are almost as old as I am. How many Mario games do we need? I don't even know how many Mario Party games their at now, but sometimes the classics (Super Smash Bros, Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy series) can be rereleased and repackaged with better graphics, or in the case of Crono Trigger, just add the FMV into it and leave the rest, and people will still buy it (Hell, I did because it's a game that stands up to the test of time).

I'm not doubting your level of enjoyment, my opinion (and I stress the word opinion) is that Nintendo needs to really step up to the plate or they will get left behind. The 3DS is a great example of poor marketing ideas, Price dropped within 3 months of initial release because nobody was buying it at the time.

I'm not saying the Wii U is a terrible console, but some of their practices over the years are questionable.

I grew up with Nintendo systems only until the PS2 era, and as an old Ninteno fan boy, I'm just left wondering about the decisions they've made since the GameCube system

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
I'm just left wondering about the decisions they've made since the GameCube system
The Wii itself certainly was not questionable - they made a ton of money off of it and had 2 other companies scrambling to get their own controllers done...

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

It certainly is. Good sales doesn't equate to good product, just a market that isn't discerning about their purchasing habits. Marketing a gaming console only to little kids and retirement homes and having it "sell great" doesn't mean anything but a customer base that doesn't get it. Sales figures don't lie, and once the initial fad of the Wii died off and people used them as expensive dust collectors, we find that Microsoft and Sony have a stronger market share than the Wii. It's fact, they ARE gaming machines that stepped up to the plate to properly compete in the market.

I've seen the games Library for the Wii (and DS systems), it's mostly terrible shovelware that you couldn't even pay me to take.

The motion control system with the Wiimotes was BY DESIGN not good enough, hence the reason for the Wii-Motion Plus cash grab.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

I think you are intentionally short changing the Wii when it came out. Their problem was not changing with competition sooner. I know plenty of adults who play the Wii - not just seniors and kids. The decisions of the Wii is NOT questionable at all - like you want it to be.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to RedMageX

Premium Member

to RedMageX
said by RedMageX:

It certainly is. Good sales doesn't equate to good product, just a market that isn't discerning about their purchasing habits. Marketing a gaming console only to little kids and retirement homes and having it "sell great" doesn't mean anything but a customer base that doesn't get it. Sales figures don't lie, and once the initial fad of the Wii died off and people used them as expensive dust collectors, we find that Microsoft and Sony have a stronger market share than the Wii. It's fact, they ARE gaming machines that stepped up to the plate to properly compete in the market.

I've seen the games Library for the Wii (and DS systems), it's mostly terrible shovelware that you couldn't even pay me to take.

LOL. I've read it all now. Let me get this straight....

Massive amounts of sales to a demographic that doesn't suit you = failed product?

Okay.

If you want to include handheld systems in your "market share" comment also, then Nintendo dominates the other companies by miles.

There's a huge market out there geared toward the younger crowd. Nintendo is simply capitalizing on it.

Goddamn, the anti-Nintendo crowd are relentless in their agenda.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

It WAS a failure. As far as games go it had pretty much nothing. Mine just sat on the shelf, I had more fun with my gamecube.

Your defense is that it sold alot and made Nintendo lots of money. If he's anti-nintendo, you are a fanboy.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

It WAS a failure. As far as games go it had pretty much nothing. Mine just sat on the shelf, I had more fun with my gamecube.

Your defense is that it sold alot and made Nintendo lots of money. If he's anti-nintendo, you are a fanboy.

So because yours sat on the shelf, every single other person on the planet have their Wii games sitting on the shelf also?

Gotcha. Makes total sense.

And no...I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I play PC. I stop in here occasionally to read the anti-Nintendo horeshit.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
I'm a gamer of discriminate taste, I won't stand for a company that turns it's back on the customers that helped make them the juggernaut they once were, but are no more.

I had HUGE love for Nintendo back in the day (even getting Nintendo Power magazine every month), but ever since the PS2 days, they have not been able to compete with the next-gen console market. The Wii itself was using outdated hardware AT RELEASE! And the Wii-U is no different, just with another gimick tablet...and WOW, they can support FIVE people playing at the same time.

Competition brings innovation and inspiration, plain and simple. Having a system that isn't competing means Nintendo isn't keeping up with trends.

And Sure, currently Nintendo has the lion's share of the handheld market, but look at the "typical" user nowadays, Kids. the DS systems are cute, work great for what they are, but I can get far more enjoyment for mobile gaming on my Samsung Galaxy SII X playing old SNES games than I do with my DS.

Keep in mind, I'm not Anti-Nintendo, I'm upset with the lack of competitive marketing, lackluster library and the obvious repeat games relaunched as "NEW"

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

You make no sense. What do you mean...
said by RedMageX:

I won't stand for a company that turns it's back on the customers that helped make them the juggernaut they once were, but are no more.

So Mario games, Zelda, etc. aren't fun anymore like they used to be? Seems to me, Nintendo has stuck to it's guns about making fun games and sticking to their tradition. How did they turn their back?
said by RedMageX:

I had HUGE love for Nintendo back in the day (even getting Nintendo Power magazine every month), but ever since the PS2 days, they have not been able to compete with the next-gen console market. The Wii itself was using outdated hardware AT RELEASE! And the Wii-U is no different, just with another gimick tablet...and WOW, they can support FIVE people playing at the same time.

Oh...I got it. It's all about graphics ^
How fun a game is, doesn't mean anything. As long as it's displayed with a huge amount of pixels, then you're good to go, right?

Don't try and fool anyone here with that non sense dude.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

You know, for someone who isn't a Nintendo fan boy, you sure are going out of your way to defend them......

And its not about graphics? Did you see the nes versus the Atari 2600, the snes versus everything else, and the n64 versus psx?

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

2 recommendations

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

You know, for someone who isn't a Nintendo fan boy, you sure are going out of your way to defend them......

And its not about graphics? Did you see the nes versus the Atari 2600, the snes versus everything else, and the n64 versus psx?

If you're referring to me, I'll show up in just about any thread and defend any console against the people hating on it because I love gaming and think each console and company has strengths and weaknesses. So I guess if I had to be labeled any type of fangirl, it would be for consoles in general. The only console I don't have is the PS3, and that's because I can't justify the money on a third major console right now. But if someone were to make a thread just slamming Sony and the PS3, I'd show up there and defend it to the best of my abilities.

To be quite honest, I never thought about graphics differences when I was 12-13 years old and playing my SNES. I was still begging my parents for a Genesis because I wanted to be able to play Sonic games. And Nintendo 64 vs. Playstation, again, no, I wasn't thinking about graphics. At all. I got a Playstation first (late to the game, not until 1999) after playing Gran Turismo. It didn't stop me from getting a Nintendo 64 a year or so later and enjoying those games.

When I think back on those games and systems, and visualize them in my head. You know what I don't see? Graphics. You know what I do see? All the fun times that I had with friends and boyfriends playing the various games. When I look at the current generation of consoles, I see something similar - fun times with friends and now with my daughter.