share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to RedMageX

Re: Thinking of getting a Wii U

quote:
I'm just left wondering about the decisions they've made since the GameCube system
The Wii itself certainly was not questionable - they made a ton of money off of it and had 2 other companies scrambling to get their own controllers done...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON

It certainly is. Good sales doesn't equate to good product, just a market that isn't discerning about their purchasing habits. Marketing a gaming console only to little kids and retirement homes and having it "sell great" doesn't mean anything but a customer base that doesn't get it. Sales figures don't lie, and once the initial fad of the Wii died off and people used them as expensive dust collectors, we find that Microsoft and Sony have a stronger market share than the Wii. It's fact, they ARE gaming machines that stepped up to the plate to properly compete in the market.

I've seen the games Library for the Wii (and DS systems), it's mostly terrible shovelware that you couldn't even pay me to take.

The motion control system with the Wiimotes was BY DESIGN not good enough, hence the reason for the Wii-Motion Plus cash grab.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I think you are intentionally short changing the Wii when it came out. Their problem was not changing with competition sooner. I know plenty of adults who play the Wii - not just seniors and kids. The decisions of the Wii is NOT questionable at all - like you want it to be.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to RedMageX

said by RedMageX:

It certainly is. Good sales doesn't equate to good product, just a market that isn't discerning about their purchasing habits. Marketing a gaming console only to little kids and retirement homes and having it "sell great" doesn't mean anything but a customer base that doesn't get it. Sales figures don't lie, and once the initial fad of the Wii died off and people used them as expensive dust collectors, we find that Microsoft and Sony have a stronger market share than the Wii. It's fact, they ARE gaming machines that stepped up to the plate to properly compete in the market.

I've seen the games Library for the Wii (and DS systems), it's mostly terrible shovelware that you couldn't even pay me to take.

LOL. I've read it all now. Let me get this straight....

Massive amounts of sales to a demographic that doesn't suit you = failed product?

Okay.

If you want to include handheld systems in your "market share" comment also, then Nintendo dominates the other companies by miles.

There's a huge market out there geared toward the younger crowd. Nintendo is simply capitalizing on it.

Goddamn, the anti-Nintendo crowd are relentless in their agenda.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

It WAS a failure. As far as games go it had pretty much nothing. Mine just sat on the shelf, I had more fun with my gamecube.

Your defense is that it sold alot and made Nintendo lots of money. If he's anti-nintendo, you are a fanboy.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Metatron2008:

It WAS a failure. As far as games go it had pretty much nothing. Mine just sat on the shelf, I had more fun with my gamecube.

Your defense is that it sold alot and made Nintendo lots of money. If he's anti-nintendo, you are a fanboy.

So because yours sat on the shelf, every single other person on the planet have their Wii games sitting on the shelf also?

Gotcha. Makes total sense.

And no...I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I play PC. I stop in here occasionally to read the anti-Nintendo horeshit.

RedMageX

Oakville, ON
reply to Ghastlyone

I'm a gamer of discriminate taste, I won't stand for a company that turns it's back on the customers that helped make them the juggernaut they once were, but are no more.

I had HUGE love for Nintendo back in the day (even getting Nintendo Power magazine every month), but ever since the PS2 days, they have not been able to compete with the next-gen console market. The Wii itself was using outdated hardware AT RELEASE! And the Wii-U is no different, just with another gimick tablet...and WOW, they can support FIVE people playing at the same time.

Competition brings innovation and inspiration, plain and simple. Having a system that isn't competing means Nintendo isn't keeping up with trends.

And Sure, currently Nintendo has the lion's share of the handheld market, but look at the "typical" user nowadays, Kids. the DS systems are cute, work great for what they are, but I can get far more enjoyment for mobile gaming on my Samsung Galaxy SII X playing old SNES games than I do with my DS.

Keep in mind, I'm not Anti-Nintendo, I'm upset with the lack of competitive marketing, lackluster library and the obvious repeat games relaunched as "NEW"

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

You make no sense. What do you mean...

said by RedMageX:

I won't stand for a company that turns it's back on the customers that helped make them the juggernaut they once were, but are no more.

So Mario games, Zelda, etc. aren't fun anymore like they used to be? Seems to me, Nintendo has stuck to it's guns about making fun games and sticking to their tradition. How did they turn their back?

said by RedMageX:

I had HUGE love for Nintendo back in the day (even getting Nintendo Power magazine every month), but ever since the PS2 days, they have not been able to compete with the next-gen console market. The Wii itself was using outdated hardware AT RELEASE! And the Wii-U is no different, just with another gimick tablet...and WOW, they can support FIVE people playing at the same time.

Oh...I got it. It's all about graphics ^
How fun a game is, doesn't mean anything. As long as it's displayed with a huge amount of pixels, then you're good to go, right?

Don't try and fool anyone here with that non sense dude.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

You know, for someone who isn't a Nintendo fan boy, you sure are going out of your way to defend them......

And its not about graphics? Did you see the nes versus the Atari 2600, the snes versus everything else, and the n64 versus psx?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

2 recommendations

said by Metatron2008:

You know, for someone who isn't a Nintendo fan boy, you sure are going out of your way to defend them......

And its not about graphics? Did you see the nes versus the Atari 2600, the snes versus everything else, and the n64 versus psx?

If you're referring to me, I'll show up in just about any thread and defend any console against the people hating on it because I love gaming and think each console and company has strengths and weaknesses. So I guess if I had to be labeled any type of fangirl, it would be for consoles in general. The only console I don't have is the PS3, and that's because I can't justify the money on a third major console right now. But if someone were to make a thread just slamming Sony and the PS3, I'd show up there and defend it to the best of my abilities.

To be quite honest, I never thought about graphics differences when I was 12-13 years old and playing my SNES. I was still begging my parents for a Genesis because I wanted to be able to play Sonic games. And Nintendo 64 vs. Playstation, again, no, I wasn't thinking about graphics. At all. I got a Playstation first (late to the game, not until 1999) after playing Gran Turismo. It didn't stop me from getting a Nintendo 64 a year or so later and enjoying those games.

When I think back on those games and systems, and visualize them in my head. You know what I don't see? Graphics. You know what I do see? All the fun times that I had with friends and boyfriends playing the various games. When I look at the current generation of consoles, I see something similar - fun times with friends and now with my daughter.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

You're comparing the original NES to the Atari 2600? Really? LOL

Why didn't you compare it to the Sega Master System? NES had inferior graphics to Sega Master, people flocked to the NES in droves because of more entertaining games. Not graphics.

SNES had inferior graphics to the Genesis. People bought the SNES because it blew the Genesis out of the water with more entertaining games.

See a pattern yet?

The Wii has sold millions upon millions of consoles because of fun, entertaining games. Not because of how many pixels it can output to.

It's astounding you guys bag on Nintendo about "inferior hardware and graphics". If you have such a hard on for hardware and graphics, then why don't we see you guys posting in the PC gaming section more often then you do?

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to RedMageX

said by RedMageX:

You're focusing far too much on the short comings. Nintendo has always been an innovator. That goes without saying. While the Wii did have lackluster specs the competitors scrambled to catch up to the motion sensor tech idea. Microsoft seems to have hit a homerun with the Kinect which will be continued in its next console, while the Sony wand was kind of lame. My understanding is now Microsoft is experimenting with a touch screen controller as well for the next gen XBox. I'm sure some sort of Microsoft TV won't be far behind either.

Seems to me Nintendo has been dictating the market and forcing competition.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to Ghastlyone

The master system came out AFTER the nes was out for about a year, genius.

Also, the genesis could show 64 on screen colors while the SNES COULD DO 256. The snes also had special effects like mode 7.

What the genesis had was a much faster cpu, which they used to make a bullshit marketing term called 'blast processing'.

If you are gonna shill for a company, at least have some clue of their history and their products kay?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Metatron2008:

So you're saying the Master System was a next gen console to the NES? Does that mean we can no longer compare the Xbox 360 with the PS3? LOL

Why then did you compare the NES with the Atari 2600??

said by Metatron2008:

Also, the genesis could show 64 on screen colors while the SNES COULD DO 256. The snes also had special effects like mode 7.

I don't give a fuck how many screen colors the SNES could display. The Genesis had better graphics. Period. And Mode 7 was a joke.

You can try and argue all you want that the reason the SNES sold well was because of the awesome graphics, but we all know, you're full of shit.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

What the genesis had was a much faster cpu, which they used to make a bullshit marketing term called 'blast processing'.

If you are gonna shill for a company, at least have some clue of their history and their products kay?

Nobody except apparently you has cared about that console war for years, man.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

You are right that the Master System came out after the NES - by about two years and change actually in Japan, 1983 vs. 1985. 1985 vs 1986 if you're talking about North American releases. Being that I was 4-5 years old at the time of the North American releases, it would be hard for me to speculate on why one did better than the other. I'd never even heard of the Master System until I started getting into researching and collecting older games a little over a decade ago. I didn't know anyone who had one. None of my friends had them when they were kids either. Regardless of the fact they came out in different years, they are both considered "third generation" consoles.

The Genesis came out two years before the SNES, both in Japan and the U.S. (give or take a few months either direction, I'm not in the mood to do the math). My cousin had an SNES, so that was what I had the most experience with first. I spent a lot of time watching him play, and I don't remember him really caring much about awesome graphics. He enjoyed the games that were available. It wasn't until I was a little older and I started running into friends who had Sega stuff that I started wanting a Genesis too.

What's fascinating to me here are some of the arguments for why one was better than the other. 64 vs. 256 colors? I can honestly say that never crossed my mind when I was playing Sonic 2 or Sonic Spinball or Donkey Kong Country or Mario Kart or Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

And for reference, here are consoles that can be fairly compared to the Atari 2600, which was part of the 2nd generation: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of···systems).
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Metatron2008:

So you're saying the Master System was a next gen console to the NES? Does that mean we can no longer compare the Xbox 360 with the PS3? LOL

Why then did you compare the NES with the Atari 2600??

said by Metatron2008:

I don't give a fuck how many screen colors the SNES could display. The Genesis had better graphics. Period. And Mode 7 was a joke.

You can try and argue all you want that the reason the SNES sold well was because of the awesome graphics, but we all know, you're full of shit.

You have to be a troll. WE all know? Anybody who ever played the snes and the genesis knows the snes had better graphics.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

WiiU is compatible with standard Wii games, controllers and most accessories. It even carries over the same type of IR sensor bar for the purpose. It's just not directly compatible with GameCube games, but it's been stated that it's possible Nintendo will re-release some of these later on Virtual Console form.

WiiU should work on a standard def TV, but... why would you want that? WiiU can even work with 1080p and 3D, if I understand correctly.

I'm sure it'll be a good buy for longevity's sake... get the Deluxe package over the basic now, for the long run.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I am thinking of getting a Wii U. Several questions

1. Is it backwards compatible with Wii games
2. Does it have an output for standard definition TV
3. Opinions please: Is it worth the upgrade.

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes it is.

I would really suggest reading this thread in its entirety: »Wii U
Lots of info there. As for the graphics, they are HD 1080p quality, so don't worry about what the naysayers are spouting off about graphics and the PS3/Xbox 360 being better. As for hardware and processor specs, don't worry about the haters or fanboys, the Wii U is running a tri-core processor as stated here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U#Tech···ications

As for games, Nintendo went a different route this time than they did with the Wii. This time they have partnership development deals with third party developers such as Ubisoft, Activision, EA Sports, Treyarch, Rocksteady, Warner Bros., DC, Midway, Capcom, etc. to produce more serious mature games for the core gamer crowd as well. They wanted this to really be more of a serious console, and not just a family friendly one. Of course you'll still have the family friendly games and kiddie stuff, but now they have development deals for a lot of third party mature games with an M17 rating.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

Who doesn't want to play black ops 2 on the toilet with a controller+screen?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

said by Metatron2008:

"ooh yeah, suck on that, noob!" *dump*

"I shit noobs like you for lunch.."
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

So I should assume from this quote that you also are opposed to laptops for gaming since they, too, make gaming portable and you could use a controller with one. Actually, I'm curious now what the range is on the Wii U Gamepad...
--

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA

said by danawhitaker:

said by Metatron2008:

So I should assume from this quote that you also are opposed to laptops for gaming since they, too, make gaming portable and you could use a controller with one. Actually, I'm curious now what the range is on the Wii U Gamepad...

About 25ft.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

said by sleuth:

said by danawhitaker:

said by Metatron2008:

About 25ft.

Thought it was 30ft.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Just unboxed my Wii U, it included an HDMI cable but did not include AV or Component cables. The SDTV it is hooked up to has both AV and Component inputs as it was new in 2007. I had to borrow the AV cables from my Wii but I may pick up a set at GameStop as they have plenty of Pre-Owned accessories.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Thought it was 30ft.

Eh close enough. It was just a guess. I know I can't walk out of my family room with the controller.

RedMageX

Oakville, ON
reply to Metatron2008

And that's the bottom line, cause my crapper said so! *flush*

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to IowaCowboy

I got one on launch and sold it a few days later. Totally not worth it for 349.99. Here is my reasoning...

-I already own a 360, PS3, Wii and a gaming PC.
-No must have games. I bought ZombiU and Mario Wii U, every other game is a port, and an inferior one at that. ZombiU was meh, reminded me of Condemned on Xbox 360, just not as good. Mario Wii U is near identical to the Wii and DS versions, no significant upgrades. No I do not count looking at the GamePad as an upgrade.
-No AAA games even on the radar. Not counting Pikmin 3, which isnt for everyone. There is a serious drought ahead considering any new releases in the near future are just ports for the most part.
-Severe memory limitations, even with the 32GB deluxe, thats not enough. I refuse to buy another external HDD or use one I already own and use when Nintendo could have done the sane thing and put in a larger memory solution.
-Gamepad is overrated, if you think playing a game uninterrupted while you take a dump is a selling feature, you have problems. Battery life is scarce and laughable unless you turn down the sound, and lower the brightness to minimal. Still only gets you 4 hours or so at that.
-Too many accessories needed (now and in future). Gamepad, pro controller for FPSs, Wii remotes, nunchucks, legacy classic controller. All needed to take full advantage of the system. Way too much clutter. Way to simplify Nintendo.
-Severely underpowered, especially if the specs for the next xbox and next PS are true.
-Nintendo archaic online system. Downloaded games locked to system?!?! WTF, what happens if my console dies and is out of warranty? Guess all those paid downloads will be going to waste. Ive heard nintendo will allow a system transfer in this case, but they themselves will have to do it. Sorry, dont have time to start shipping consoles through the mail.

I am a life long nintendo fan. I have a triforce tattoo. But nintendo dropped the ball on this big time. They are becoming too much like Apple in the way that they dont listen to consumers and what they want, they instead try to tell us what we want and ignore us.

They were definitely trying to think outside the box with this one, and instead it may just put them in a box.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

"-No must have games. I bought ZombiU and Mario Wii U, every other game is a port, and an inferior one at that. ZombiU was meh, reminded me of Condemned on Xbox 360, just not as good. Mario Wii U is near identical to the Wii and DS versions, no significant upgrades."

I'll start by addressing Mario Wii U. I played completely through the version for the Wii. There are significant upgrades to the multiplayer aspect with this one, for sure. My daughter has trouble playing through many of the levels on her own, but if I put her on the gamepad and let her help me get rid of enemies, put blocks up so I can reach coins, and find me special power ups, it works great. It allows two players of very disparate skill levels to play together without the more competent player getting extremely frustrated (usually). In terms of the levels, I think the entire game feels harder. Maybe I've completely forgotten the Wii version in two years, but there are new mechanics, new power-ups, and the levels are far from identical. Just exactly how much do you want Mario to innovate before it's a different game entirely?

Every other game is a port? Did you forget to open Nintendo Land when you took the console out of the box? That game has not been ported to any other system. The mini-games are fun, challenging, and there are some great opportunities for co-op and versus stuff.
ESPN Sports Connection is not a port. Game Party Champions doesn't look like a port. Rabbids Land, not a port. Tank Tank Tank is not a port. There are several other games (like Funky Barn) that have a release on the 3DS but not on any major console. And just because the other games are ports, doesn't mean they aren't fun. For someone who owns no other consoles, and would just be upgrading from a Wii, those games would be new.

Again, I feel like I keep beating this horse, but it's hard not to. Too many of you come at this console from the perspective of owning a PS3 or 360. There are people who don't *want* those consoles. For them, this console *is* an upgrade.

I will concede one thing. If you don't have anyone else to play this with, I can see it getting old.

PS: There are no severe memory limitations if you aren't downloading releases. Many people have no interest in the download market whatsoever. 32GB is more than adequate for just saving games. I have 25gb free. Mario takes up 43mb of space. Nintendo Land takes up 226mb. Funky Barn takes up a whopping 7mb.
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Pretty much all of the ports are superior. Compare black ops 2, it runs at full 720p resolution versus the other console versions and is prettier.

Look at this video for assassin's creed 3:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=__p5Nv1P4jw

If you cannot see the obvious differences in higher res textures, better polygons, and tons more volumetric fog and shaders, you are blind as hell.