Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Metatron2008

Re: Thinking of getting a Wii U

said by Metatron2008:

Who doesn't want to play black ops 2 on the toilet with a controller+screen?

"ooh yeah, suck on that, noob!" *dump*

"I shit noobs like you for lunch.."
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

So I should assume from this quote that you also are opposed to laptops for gaming since they, too, make gaming portable and you could use a controller with one. Actually, I'm curious now what the range is on the Wii U Gamepad...
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

said by danawhitaker:

said by Metatron2008:

So I should assume from this quote that you also are opposed to laptops for gaming since they, too, make gaming portable and you could use a controller with one. Actually, I'm curious now what the range is on the Wii U Gamepad...

About 25ft.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

said by sleuth:

said by danawhitaker:

said by Metatron2008:

About 25ft.

Thought it was 30ft.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Just unboxed my Wii U, it included an HDMI cable but did not include AV or Component cables. The SDTV it is hooked up to has both AV and Component inputs as it was new in 2007. I had to borrow the AV cables from my Wii but I may pick up a set at GameStop as they have plenty of Pre-Owned accessories.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Thought it was 30ft.

Eh close enough. It was just a guess. I know I can't walk out of my family room with the controller.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to Metatron2008

And that's the bottom line, cause my crapper said so! *flush*

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to IowaCowboy

I got one on launch and sold it a few days later. Totally not worth it for 349.99. Here is my reasoning...

-I already own a 360, PS3, Wii and a gaming PC.
-No must have games. I bought ZombiU and Mario Wii U, every other game is a port, and an inferior one at that. ZombiU was meh, reminded me of Condemned on Xbox 360, just not as good. Mario Wii U is near identical to the Wii and DS versions, no significant upgrades. No I do not count looking at the GamePad as an upgrade.
-No AAA games even on the radar. Not counting Pikmin 3, which isnt for everyone. There is a serious drought ahead considering any new releases in the near future are just ports for the most part.
-Severe memory limitations, even with the 32GB deluxe, thats not enough. I refuse to buy another external HDD or use one I already own and use when Nintendo could have done the sane thing and put in a larger memory solution.
-Gamepad is overrated, if you think playing a game uninterrupted while you take a dump is a selling feature, you have problems. Battery life is scarce and laughable unless you turn down the sound, and lower the brightness to minimal. Still only gets you 4 hours or so at that.
-Too many accessories needed (now and in future). Gamepad, pro controller for FPSs, Wii remotes, nunchucks, legacy classic controller. All needed to take full advantage of the system. Way too much clutter. Way to simplify Nintendo.
-Severely underpowered, especially if the specs for the next xbox and next PS are true.
-Nintendo archaic online system. Downloaded games locked to system?!?! WTF, what happens if my console dies and is out of warranty? Guess all those paid downloads will be going to waste. Ive heard nintendo will allow a system transfer in this case, but they themselves will have to do it. Sorry, dont have time to start shipping consoles through the mail.

I am a life long nintendo fan. I have a triforce tattoo. But nintendo dropped the ball on this big time. They are becoming too much like Apple in the way that they dont listen to consumers and what they want, they instead try to tell us what we want and ignore us.

They were definitely trying to think outside the box with this one, and instead it may just put them in a box.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

"-No must have games. I bought ZombiU and Mario Wii U, every other game is a port, and an inferior one at that. ZombiU was meh, reminded me of Condemned on Xbox 360, just not as good. Mario Wii U is near identical to the Wii and DS versions, no significant upgrades."

I'll start by addressing Mario Wii U. I played completely through the version for the Wii. There are significant upgrades to the multiplayer aspect with this one, for sure. My daughter has trouble playing through many of the levels on her own, but if I put her on the gamepad and let her help me get rid of enemies, put blocks up so I can reach coins, and find me special power ups, it works great. It allows two players of very disparate skill levels to play together without the more competent player getting extremely frustrated (usually). In terms of the levels, I think the entire game feels harder. Maybe I've completely forgotten the Wii version in two years, but there are new mechanics, new power-ups, and the levels are far from identical. Just exactly how much do you want Mario to innovate before it's a different game entirely?

Every other game is a port? Did you forget to open Nintendo Land when you took the console out of the box? That game has not been ported to any other system. The mini-games are fun, challenging, and there are some great opportunities for co-op and versus stuff.
ESPN Sports Connection is not a port. Game Party Champions doesn't look like a port. Rabbids Land, not a port. Tank Tank Tank is not a port. There are several other games (like Funky Barn) that have a release on the 3DS but not on any major console. And just because the other games are ports, doesn't mean they aren't fun. For someone who owns no other consoles, and would just be upgrading from a Wii, those games would be new.

Again, I feel like I keep beating this horse, but it's hard not to. Too many of you come at this console from the perspective of owning a PS3 or 360. There are people who don't *want* those consoles. For them, this console *is* an upgrade.

I will concede one thing. If you don't have anyone else to play this with, I can see it getting old.

PS: There are no severe memory limitations if you aren't downloading releases. Many people have no interest in the download market whatsoever. 32GB is more than adequate for just saving games. I have 25gb free. Mario takes up 43mb of space. Nintendo Land takes up 226mb. Funky Barn takes up a whopping 7mb.
--

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Pretty much all of the ports are superior. Compare black ops 2, it runs at full 720p resolution versus the other console versions and is prettier.

Look at this video for assassin's creed 3:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=__p5Nv1P4jw

If you cannot see the obvious differences in higher res textures, better polygons, and tons more volumetric fog and shaders, you are blind as hell.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

PS: There are no severe memory limitations if you aren't downloading releases. Many people have no interest in the download market whatsoever. 32GB is more than adequate for just saving games. I have 25gb free. Mario takes up 43mb of space. Nintendo Land takes up 226mb. Funky Barn takes up a whopping 7mb.

I found him! I found a Funky Barn owner! I thought they were a myth.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

what the fuck is funky barn

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Seriously, Metatron, Google it, GameFAQs it, allgame.com it, Gamestop it, whatever your poison of choice is for looking up games. There's no need to be so darn vitriolic. I'm sure it won't live up to whatever mythical standards you have for games, but it's something I got for my daughter and she enjoys it quite a bit.

And that's her, Weirdal

Edit: Metatron, I'm going to concede a point for you, and I hope you'll reciprocate. I'm not arguing that the graphics on the Wii U are "better" than the other versions for those ported games, though in all honesty, I cannot tell much of a difference. So I guess I must be blind. And since my TV only does up to 720p, it doesn't matter that much in the end. But I'd like you to concede that graphics aren't all every player cares about, and there are people out there who will choose to buy a Wii U over the other consoles for their own preferences - ergo, any graphics differences are a moot point to them BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT A 360 OR PS3 OR THE PC VERSION.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

You keep replying like I reply to you Dana in every post. What, are you hot or something? j/k

I was replying to the same guy you were..

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Pretty much all of the ports are superior. Compare black ops 2, it runs at full 720p resolution versus the other console versions and is prettier.

Look at this video for assassin's creed 3:

you cannot see the obvious differences in higher res textures, better polygons, and tons more volumetric fog and shaders, you are blind as hell.

I did notice that, also noticed some stutter thats not present on say the Xbox 360 port...

»www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit···face-off

Infact I didnt mention anything graphically, I just said inferior, which includes GAMEPLAY...

Same with COD, it may match the PS3, but still under preforms against the 360.

»www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit···face-off

As for memory, in an age of digital distribution, 32GB is ridiculous.

I stand by my sentiment that its currently not worth 349.99 or even 299.99 as it is. Next year or 2014 maybe once Nintendo published titles finally hit, and by that time there will likely be a new SKU as well.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

That link you linked me to is bullshit. i HAVE assassin's creed 3 for wii u and it does not stutter like that.

And the graphical effects are as better on that video as they are IRL (I have played the ps3 version too).

RedMageX

Oakville, ON
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Xbox 360 and PS3 run at 1080p, your argument is invalid.

And dana, Nintendo Land isn't a game, mini-games are not games, nor are they anywhere near AAA titles. Let's just face it, Nintendo isn't in the gaming market anymore. If they were, they would smarten up, realize their mistakes and build a competitive console.

The moment the PS4 and Xbox720 both get released, the Wii-U is rendered completely obsolete...AGAIN. The Xbox360 may not have had a great start, or hold of market share at the beginning, but it's becomming the industry leader, and are leading monthly sales for console units time and time again. The Wii has fallen behind and it will not recover until it can be an honest competitor in the marketplace.

You don't see TV manufacturers bringing sub-par devices to show off at CES, nor would you tolerate it, why would you sit there and take it from Nintendo too?

And for us PC gamers as well, we've always had, and will continue to have an edge on the competition, especially now with services like Steam. Digital distribution is the new hotness, and honestly, 32GB of storage is deplorable. Just another Nickel and Dime method that Nintendo has always used to get more money out of their customers. There is no excuse for this type of business practice

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

The two versions (PS3 and 360) are 640p and are upconverted. Google it.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to IowaCowboy

Seems this Nintendo hate is misconstrued. XBox and PS3 fans NEED Nintendo to succeed. You all NEED Nintendo to continue to innovate and push the competitors into new ideas and direction. I love that Nintendo always releases first, even with lackluster specs. Why? Because this has the competitors already thinking of ways to improve there systems and differentiate themselves. So why even discuss or debate your disdain towards the console? This thread has gotten so far off the initial topic, and has now turned into yet another Nintendo vs. Sony/MS thread. Ugh.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to Metatron2008

I would hope that a 1 month old system would look more than "a little" better than a 7 year old system.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

The entire problem goes into the way nintendo made the Wii U. The cpu is a triple core cpu that is both based on the wii/gamecube core and IBMs new Power7 core. They apparantly did this to ensure backwards compatibility with wii games, but each core can only go up to 1.2 ghz.

With that said, the cpu is far more efficient per clock then the 360 and ps3 cpus. It's about either on par, a little less, or a bit more powerful then the cpus used in the ps3 and 360.

The gpu is r770 based (ati 4xxx series) and is probably around a 4870. The system ram is 2 gigs.

All in all, the wii u is next gen gpu, next gen ram, current gen cpu.

Any future system could probably add more ram, but the gpu won't be too much better.

It's not a 'catch up'. It's a next gen console with a retarded choice for cpu. Future ports from ps4 and xbox 720 will have lower resolutions and far less physics, but can be done.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to RedMageX

"And dana, Nintendo Land isn't a game, mini-games are not games, nor are they anywhere near AAA titles. Let's just face it, Nintendo isn't in the gaming market anymore. If they were, they would smarten up, realize their mistakes and build a competitive console."

No? That's strange, because I seem to remember this fairly popular series of games that started on the Nintendo 64 called Mario Party. It consists...almost entirely of mini-games. And unlike those mini-games, these actually have quite a few levels and objectives to get through, they aren't just party games.

Which games do you consider to be AAA titles?

I actually find digital distribution to be the true "nickel and dime" method - have you LOOKED at the release lists for the past month or so for all three major players? Tons of nickel and dime digital releases, many of which were already released years ago on other consoles. Digital content providers have been great at conning people into repurchasing games they already own in another format, and making them think that it's smart. I have friends who use Steam, and whenever there's a sale, "Well, I already have that game, but, $5? I'll buy it again".

I don't see you complaining about the new Xbox that only comes with 4GB or storage, or the Playstation 3 that's going to come out with considerably less storage space than its predecessors - was it 12GB? I remember having this storage debate a few months ago. It's not like you don't have the option of buying the physical game rather than downloading it for new releases - if they were all digital only, I'd agree with you that it was a problem because they would be forcing your hand to buy external storage. At this point, you're probably choosing to use your console in a way that's...I won't say unintended, but I doubt they have an expectation that most gamers would go 100% digital for a console. I doubt the majority of people would. I may be wrong. Maybe I'm just that out of touch with how fully the entire gaming community has embraced digital releases.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

If anything, the only 'issue' I have with the 360 now is that there's still this dis-jointment of either a 16MB NAND if the system in question started out with a hard drive already, vs. the 4GB NAND which at least gave you some basic storage 'in a pinch'.

As for the PS3 as you mentioned, it is the current 'super-slim'. But the 12GB flash memory model mentioned in SKU's and patent applications is only intended for EU and Asia regions. Japan and the US are getting the 250/500GB choices instead. My issue with that 12GB model is the rumour suggesting that this entry-level model overseas would require an additional adapter in order to install a hard drive like you would in the other version(s). So if I read the patent doc correctly, in the EU region, the 12GB model would be sold in the same 'spot' where the 250GB model we have now would be. It'd take the place of the 'entry level' ps3 with the only other choice being the console with a 500GB hard drive installed.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

RedMageX

Oakville, ON
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

I don't see you complaining about the new Xbox that only comes with 4GB or storage, or the Playstation 3 that's going to come out with considerably less storage space than its predecessors - was it 12GB?

I'm not complaining about the small 4GB storage becuase I ponied up the cash for the 250GB hard drive model.

And honestly, the downloadable content/games, especially the old games are typically cheaper to buy these days then going back to buy them for the original system they were meant for. And trust me, Steam is great for their sales, and for us PC games, gog.com is a godsend for finding older no-DRM games for purchase.

I don't go 100% digital with my console, but add-on packs are digital only, and I should not be expected to put up another $100 on a hard drive to suppliment the poor choice of available memory on-board. But to be completely honest, digital distribution is the way to go, a lot of video game stores are feeling a bit hurt on sales due to this change in market style, and even EBGames has digital download "cards" you can purchase in store. For them, this model frees up shelf space, but go into a GameStop or EBGames nowadays, and their PC selection is piss-poor compared to years ago. PC gaming is a HUGE market, and they're snubbing their noses on people who used to spend tons of money in their stores

And as for games like Mario Party...not a "AAA" title, and a game full of minigames played on a board game isn't what I'd call a game...or even a party game. Super Smash Bros is a better party game on it's own.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

I'll concede that the 32GB does look paltry in comparison to the 250gb that's rumored for both the next Xbox and Playstation iterations. What I was curious to see was whether both those consoles would be shrinking the amount of storage space on their next consoles as well. It doesn't appear that will be the case.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem like Nintendo really benefits from offering less storage space. Unlike Microsoft and the 360, they don't offer a branded hard drive that people can attach to upgrade their storage. So from a financial perspective, I don't see an incentive. Did they just underestimate how much people would want? I have a 60 gig drive in my 360, but less than 1gb is taken up by my game saves.

I admit I didn't really consider add-on packs, because I don't buy them. If those eat up a lot of space, I can see that being an issue for the Wii U.

RedMageX, you seem to have a very narrow definition of what constitutes a game. You're really arguing that Mario Party isn't a game? It may not be a game you enjoy playing, but I'm pretty sure it still falls under the broad definition of game - admittedly not a AAA title necessarily, after Googling what that term means. I mean, I don't like Wrestling games, for instance, and don't understand the appeal, but I'll still admit they're games that some people enjoy and spend a lot of time playing. What genres of game do you consider to be true games?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Eh? Who'd mentioned anything about a wrestling game?

Well, to be fair, there hasn't been one released specifically for the WiiU yet. However, in the meantime there would be WWE '13; if it's anything like my tryout of '12, the gameplay should remain intact from the other console offerings.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by C0deZer0:

Eh? Who'd mentioned anything about a wrestling game?

Well, to be fair, there hasn't been one released specifically for the WiiU yet. However, in the meantime there would be WWE '13; if it's anything like my tryout of '12, the gameplay should remain intact from the other console offerings.

I just threw wrestling out there because I was trying to think of a genre of game I find no enjoyment in whatsoever in comparison to the party-game/mini-game genre. I embrace almost every other genre to some degree, but that's one I have a lot of difficulty with.
--

DaMonster

join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy

So far I love mine. I do not own a 360/PS3 but I got this as a gift and I think its amazing. Im currently playing ZombieU and I love the interaction with my controller and I would look forward to seeing another zelda 4 swords or something similar come out for a controller like this.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to IowaCowboy

I can't wait to play The Walking Dead on the Wii U!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

2 edits

People have to remember that the 32 gb drive is SOLID STATE. Anything you install will load very very fast.

The PS3 has a solid state version and it's only 8 gb. The Xbox 360 SS version is only 4 gb total.

And to be able to connect anything as an external hdd is a huge advantage. With ps3, you have to use a 2.5 hdd, which is a laptop drive and costs a lot more for the smaller size. With a 360, you need to buy a microsoft branded 320 gig hdd for $130. For that same $130, you could've recently gotten a 3 tb usb 3.0 drive..