share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Weirdal

Re: Thinking of getting a Wii U

The entire problem goes into the way nintendo made the Wii U. The cpu is a triple core cpu that is both based on the wii/gamecube core and IBMs new Power7 core. They apparantly did this to ensure backwards compatibility with wii games, but each core can only go up to 1.2 ghz.

With that said, the cpu is far more efficient per clock then the 360 and ps3 cpus. It's about either on par, a little less, or a bit more powerful then the cpus used in the ps3 and 360.

The gpu is r770 based (ati 4xxx series) and is probably around a 4870. The system ram is 2 gigs.

All in all, the wii u is next gen gpu, next gen ram, current gen cpu.

Any future system could probably add more ram, but the gpu won't be too much better.

It's not a 'catch up'. It's a next gen console with a retarded choice for cpu. Future ports from ps4 and xbox 720 will have lower resolutions and far less physics, but can be done.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to RedMageX

"And dana, Nintendo Land isn't a game, mini-games are not games, nor are they anywhere near AAA titles. Let's just face it, Nintendo isn't in the gaming market anymore. If they were, they would smarten up, realize their mistakes and build a competitive console."

No? That's strange, because I seem to remember this fairly popular series of games that started on the Nintendo 64 called Mario Party. It consists...almost entirely of mini-games. And unlike those mini-games, these actually have quite a few levels and objectives to get through, they aren't just party games.

Which games do you consider to be AAA titles?

I actually find digital distribution to be the true "nickel and dime" method - have you LOOKED at the release lists for the past month or so for all three major players? Tons of nickel and dime digital releases, many of which were already released years ago on other consoles. Digital content providers have been great at conning people into repurchasing games they already own in another format, and making them think that it's smart. I have friends who use Steam, and whenever there's a sale, "Well, I already have that game, but, $5? I'll buy it again".

I don't see you complaining about the new Xbox that only comes with 4GB or storage, or the Playstation 3 that's going to come out with considerably less storage space than its predecessors - was it 12GB? I remember having this storage debate a few months ago. It's not like you don't have the option of buying the physical game rather than downloading it for new releases - if they were all digital only, I'd agree with you that it was a problem because they would be forcing your hand to buy external storage. At this point, you're probably choosing to use your console in a way that's...I won't say unintended, but I doubt they have an expectation that most gamers would go 100% digital for a console. I doubt the majority of people would. I may be wrong. Maybe I'm just that out of touch with how fully the entire gaming community has embraced digital releases.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

If anything, the only 'issue' I have with the 360 now is that there's still this dis-jointment of either a 16MB NAND if the system in question started out with a hard drive already, vs. the 4GB NAND which at least gave you some basic storage 'in a pinch'.

As for the PS3 as you mentioned, it is the current 'super-slim'. But the 12GB flash memory model mentioned in SKU's and patent applications is only intended for EU and Asia regions. Japan and the US are getting the 250/500GB choices instead. My issue with that 12GB model is the rumour suggesting that this entry-level model overseas would require an additional adapter in order to install a hard drive like you would in the other version(s). So if I read the patent doc correctly, in the EU region, the 12GB model would be sold in the same 'spot' where the 250GB model we have now would be. It'd take the place of the 'entry level' ps3 with the only other choice being the console with a 500GB hard drive installed.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

I don't see you complaining about the new Xbox that only comes with 4GB or storage, or the Playstation 3 that's going to come out with considerably less storage space than its predecessors - was it 12GB?

I'm not complaining about the small 4GB storage becuase I ponied up the cash for the 250GB hard drive model.

And honestly, the downloadable content/games, especially the old games are typically cheaper to buy these days then going back to buy them for the original system they were meant for. And trust me, Steam is great for their sales, and for us PC games, gog.com is a godsend for finding older no-DRM games for purchase.

I don't go 100% digital with my console, but add-on packs are digital only, and I should not be expected to put up another $100 on a hard drive to suppliment the poor choice of available memory on-board. But to be completely honest, digital distribution is the way to go, a lot of video game stores are feeling a bit hurt on sales due to this change in market style, and even EBGames has digital download "cards" you can purchase in store. For them, this model frees up shelf space, but go into a GameStop or EBGames nowadays, and their PC selection is piss-poor compared to years ago. PC gaming is a HUGE market, and they're snubbing their noses on people who used to spend tons of money in their stores

And as for games like Mario Party...not a "AAA" title, and a game full of minigames played on a board game isn't what I'd call a game...or even a party game. Super Smash Bros is a better party game on it's own.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

I'll concede that the 32GB does look paltry in comparison to the 250gb that's rumored for both the next Xbox and Playstation iterations. What I was curious to see was whether both those consoles would be shrinking the amount of storage space on their next consoles as well. It doesn't appear that will be the case.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem like Nintendo really benefits from offering less storage space. Unlike Microsoft and the 360, they don't offer a branded hard drive that people can attach to upgrade their storage. So from a financial perspective, I don't see an incentive. Did they just underestimate how much people would want? I have a 60 gig drive in my 360, but less than 1gb is taken up by my game saves.

I admit I didn't really consider add-on packs, because I don't buy them. If those eat up a lot of space, I can see that being an issue for the Wii U.

RedMageX, you seem to have a very narrow definition of what constitutes a game. You're really arguing that Mario Party isn't a game? It may not be a game you enjoy playing, but I'm pretty sure it still falls under the broad definition of game - admittedly not a AAA title necessarily, after Googling what that term means. I mean, I don't like Wrestling games, for instance, and don't understand the appeal, but I'll still admit they're games that some people enjoy and spend a lot of time playing. What genres of game do you consider to be true games?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Eh? Who'd mentioned anything about a wrestling game?

Well, to be fair, there hasn't been one released specifically for the WiiU yet. However, in the meantime there would be WWE '13; if it's anything like my tryout of '12, the gameplay should remain intact from the other console offerings.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by C0deZer0:

Eh? Who'd mentioned anything about a wrestling game?

Well, to be fair, there hasn't been one released specifically for the WiiU yet. However, in the meantime there would be WWE '13; if it's anything like my tryout of '12, the gameplay should remain intact from the other console offerings.

I just threw wrestling out there because I was trying to think of a genre of game I find no enjoyment in whatsoever in comparison to the party-game/mini-game genre. I embrace almost every other genre to some degree, but that's one I have a lot of difficulty with.
--

DaMonster

join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ
reply to IowaCowboy

So far I love mine. I do not own a 360/PS3 but I got this as a gift and I think its amazing. Im currently playing ZombieU and I love the interaction with my controller and I would look forward to seeing another zelda 4 swords or something similar come out for a controller like this.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to IowaCowboy

I can't wait to play The Walking Dead on the Wii U!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

2 edits

People have to remember that the 32 gb drive is SOLID STATE. Anything you install will load very very fast.

The PS3 has a solid state version and it's only 8 gb. The Xbox 360 SS version is only 4 gb total.

And to be able to connect anything as an external hdd is a huge advantage. With ps3, you have to use a 2.5 hdd, which is a laptop drive and costs a lot more for the smaller size. With a 360, you need to buy a microsoft branded 320 gig hdd for $130. For that same $130, you could've recently gotten a 3 tb usb 3.0 drive..

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

said by Metatron2008:

People have to remember that the 32 gb drive is SOLID STATE. Anything you install will load very very fast.

The PS3 has a solid state version and it's only 8 gb. The Xbox 360 SS version is only 4 gb total.

And to be able to connect anything as an external hdd is a huge advantage. With ps3, you have to use a 2.5 hdd, which is a laptop drive and costs a lot more for the smaller size. With a 360, you need to buy a microsoft branded 320 gig hdd for $130. For that same $130, you could've recently gotten a 3 tb usb 3.0 drive..

Let's not kid ourselves. There will never be 3TB worth of games to play on the WiiU. And besides, it's really easy to buy your own hard drive and put it in a PS3 or 360.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

For the ps3, microsoft has banned people with hdds that are not official.

And even then, checking newegg real quick, non sale prices, a 500 gb 2.5 drive (required for ps3 or xbox) is $69 for a decent WD. A 1 tb samsung spinpoint 3.5 is $69. Put a external case on and you have cheap 1 tb backup.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

said by Metatron2008:

For the ps3, microsoft has banned people with hdds that are not official.

I'm gonna call BS on that. Got a link?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to Metatron2008

To be fair, it was a bit of a problem at first, but since they'd moved on to making the slim, and with some tools out there, it is possible to format/flash a hard drive much like Microsoft does to their officially branded ones. It certainly seems like they stopped caring for the phat models. That said, the most compatible models are Scorpio Blues, since apparently that is what Microsoft used for their real drives.

There is also the arbitrary limit of 250 vs. 320 on phat vs. slim, compared to basically a 2tb limit for a drive that could be mounted in a PS3. But at least I could feel like I can make use of the 250~320gigs of space on the xbox without having to modify the console.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 edit

You still have to buy certain drives, which makes the price point high no matter what. It's one of main reasons I haven't played my 360 for a year and a half (except when I bought Halo 4), and I've moved to PS3 with PSN+. For the PS3, you can use any drive. When I upgraded my laptops to SSDs, I simply put a laptop 250 gig 7200 rpm drive in my ps3, reformatted, downloaded the latest ps3 update from the sony site, put that on a usb drive, and it was good to go! Didn't matter what brand or anything, replaced my 120 gig ps3 drive like that.

That and the fact that Xbox live is a massive ripoff that you get free with PS3 and Steam.

The wii u method is even better.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Except the WiiU method still does not let you install and run games from the external, last I checked in one of the recent console reviews.

This obviously would be overcome if you modded your Wii or your PS3 for example, or JTAG'd a 360. It just feels like "one step forward, 2 steps back" if you get what I'm saying.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

It was demoed as having the ability to store and play games from an external. I could try it later..

If not yet, it's a feature that's to be added 'soon'. They are actually building a network. The nintendo network ID will be used for all nintendo systems.

Your games will be stored by ID, no longer by system.

Are you referring to the SD card slot? It cannot store wii u games or save data, it can only store wii virtual console crap.. That also is supposed to change soon, and you can use up to a 32 gb sd card.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE

said by Metatron2008:

If not yet, it's a feature that's to be added 'soon'. They are actually building a network. The nintendo network ID will be used for all nintendo systems.

Are you saying that right now you need to have a different Nintendo account for every online Nintendo system? wtf?
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

What? The only system that currently has a Nintendo Network ID is the Wii U. If you want to buy games on Nintendo systems, you have to buy for each system, or use some kind of transfer tool, as they are stored by system ID. The Nintendo Network ID is supposed to eventually change that.

So basically it'll work like a steam account... or a psn account... Or xbox live...

Only 10 years late. Slow golf clap Nintendo..

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE

I just figured that, after releasing four consoles that you can buy digital games and/or play online games on, they would have had the whole "one online account" thing figured out.

Oh Nintendo.
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Well yes they have. It only took 4 online consoles.

So you were right in the end

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

I just figured that, after releasing four consoles that you can buy digital games and/or play online games on, they would have had the whole "one online account" thing figured out.

Oh Nintendo.

Are we counting handhelds as consoles now? I don't recall the Gamecube and Nintendo 64 having online capability.
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Well the only ones with an online store were:

Dsi
3ds
Wii
Wii u

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

Are we counting handhelds as consoles now? I don't recall the Gamecube and Nintendo 64 having online capability.

I was counting the DS(i) and 3DS as separate consoles. And why not? If you're making digital purchases, they should be tied to an account. Sony managed to figure it out.
--

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

said by Weirdal:

said by danawhitaker:

I was counting the DS(i) and 3DS as separate consoles. And why not? If you're making digital purchases, they should be tied to an account. Sony managed to figure it out.

I don't disagree about the need for a unified account, I was mainly quibbling about handhelds being called consoles.
--