All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Ibby14
join:2012-12-31
Warwick, NY

Ibby14 to norbert26

to norbert26

Re: Problem with a zone on my baseboard (hot water) heat...

Click for full size
temp and pressure guage
Click for full size
problem valve is on the left with cover off
Click for full size
zone valve wiring
The zone valve is a Honeywell F4 9819, and I have a Honeywell 2 wire heat only mercury thermostat. The problem zone valve is on the left. I have the end switch on manual so the problem zone heats up every time the other zone heat comes on, and I can now say that left to it's own devices it does keep the problem zone sufficiently heated. After leaving it on for a sufficient amount of time I found that the only reason it wasn't fully heating was that I had the other zone set very low because I kept electric heaters on, so the furnace was rarely turning on in the non problem zone so the problem zone was rarely receiving hot water. Of course it still won't follow what I set on the thermostat. Are we still looking at a bad zone valve?

Did I make any sense?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

If I am remembering my hot water systems correctly, the the thermostat ONLY controls the opening/closing of the zone valve AND kicking in the circulator pump.

So if only one zone is having the issue it could be the thermostat, wiring between thermostat and zone valve or the zone valve itself.

With normal operating settings, when the zone in question calls for heat, does the circulator pump cut on? If it does and there is no heat in that zone, I would question the zone valve. If the circulator pump does not kick in, then I would question the wiring or thermostat.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to Ibby14

MVM

to Ibby14
Do you have a voltmeter ?

If so, set it to measure AC voltage and attach it to the 2 wires at the upstairs thermostat. With the thermostat set to a very low temperature (or simply disconnected) you should measure about 24V AC.

If this is successful it shows that:
- there is no disconnect in the wiring
- there is no short-circuit in the wiring

With the thermostat connected and set to a high temperature (higher then currently in the room) the voltage reading should drop to 0V AC.

If this too is successful then both thermostat and wiring to the thermostat are ok and the problem is to be found downstairs.