Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PNelson

join:2012-03-23

1 edit

I am having intermittent service problems in Long Beach, Ca

I am having intermittent service problems in Long Beach, Ca

I am using a westel 327w which is a combination modem/router. My desktop is connected via hardware and various wireless devices (Logitech squeezeboxes Touch and Radio, smart phones) are also connected to the router. For the past two months, all this stuff has been working without problems.
For the last three-four days the internet service has been slow at times and occasionally the service drops completely and then comes back a few minutes later. (I verified the lost interconnection by the lights on the router.) At the same time, I am seeing strange behavior with the logitech music devices, which could be related to internet problems or there could be a problem with my wireless network. I have powered down to reset all the wireless devices and the router, but the problems continue.

I did notice on DSLExreme's website there was verizon outage on December 28 for 562 (LB area code), which is consistent when my problems started.

Any suggestions on where to start to figure out the source of the problem?

Paul

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
Paul, I removed your trouble ticket for your protection. I sent it on to Nick.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
The outage we had on the 28th was a very brief outage (resolved same day), and caused a flat inability to start a session. According to our server logs, you've had fairly constant sessions since 12/30, and have only disconnected five times since then - and three of those times you reconnected within a handful of seconds, while the last two were registered as local disconnects (such as from turning off the modem). In other words, I'm not seeing any periods of disconnection, much less disconnection for multiple minutes. While it's theoretically possible the outage on the 28th could have something to do with the difficulty you're seeing right now, that's not a conclusion I'd come to yet.

You said you were seeing the loss of connectivity reflected in the lights on the router - which lights, specifically, were showing what?

Since you have a combination modem/router, you can't very well bypass the router (my first recommendation) (unless you have a spare modem, of course), but ping testing might be of use here. Open a command prompt, then type "PING 192.168.1.1" (or whatever the gateway IP for your router is) and hit Enter. Then type "PING google.com" (or some other reliable site) and hit Enter. Under normal circumstances, each SHOULD ping successfully and return four positive ping results. When your connection is having trouble, try repeating those two ping tests, and see if both are successful or if either or both are failing.

Similar to PING, you can also try TRACERT. Opening a command prompt and typing "TRACERT google.com" will show the path out to that site, and help us to determine where problems might be (feel free to send me these results in a PM).

PNelson

reply to PNelson
Well my wireless network, internet, and music servers are back to normal. What did I do? I am not sure I did anything you would call a repeatable fix.

As Nick's message above indicated, I did turn off the modem/router twice to see if that would solve my problems. I also restarted all by music devices. These restarts did not solve my problems.

Two nights ago, after being frustrated, and wanting to go to sleep, I unpluged all of my devices connected to the wireless network.

The next day I would connect each one individually to see if one of them was a source of the problem. All worked individually and as a group. My interconnect speed is back to normal and according to the westell for the have 2 days and 13 hours since I rebooted the device there has been 1 reconnect.

In summary, based upon mostly conjecture, is that a combination of internet problems and devices on my wireless networks was the source of my problems. How they are connected, I really do not know. I did do some research, and the music servers can start having problems if there is a problem with the network.

Now that I know that the modem records reconnects, I am going track it and if it becomes excessive, I will report it.

PNelson

reply to PNelson
Internet was fine for about 4 days, but tonight intermittant service again. Slow internet access and lost sync at least once (around 10pm).

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
I show the connection lost sync exactly once, at 9:55pm. The return code from the logs indicates "User Request", meaning the user disconnected the session (such as the router turning itself off), rather than a problem with the line itself. Now, I always take such return codes with a good grain of salt (it's kind of like trying to decipher the results from a black box after an airplane crash; you don't always get perfectly accurate results and kind of have to 'work backwards' to figure out what happened), but the fact that there's only a single disconnection does lend credence to such an interpretation.

Your line has a max bitrate of over 6Mbps, and is only running at 53% capacity - in other words, your line can easily run at its current level, which also means it's very unlikely to be a line issue.

Based on what I'm seeing here, plus what you have told me here and via PM, I very strongly suspect your modem is failing. Ping/tracert logs would probably confirm that.

PNelson

Last night, when I saw that I lost sync, I did not turn off the modem.

A failing modem/router is a possibility and might also explain the problems I am seeing on the wireless network side.

What ping/tracert logs would help confirm this? That would be nice before spending money on new equipment.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Open a command prompt, then type "PING 192.168.1.1" (or whatever the gateway IP for your router is) and hit Enter. Then type "PING google.com" (or some other reliable site) and hit Enter.

Open a command prompt and type "TRACERT google.com".

Run the above when your connection seems to be working fine (to give me a baseline to work with), and PM me the results. Then run the above a few times when the connection is having trouble, and send me those results as well.

Also, if you have at least one computer which is connected wirelessly, definitely send me copies of the above from that computer.

PNelson

I sent you a PM with the Ping and TraceRT results, bith from the desktop hardwired and a laptop connected wireless.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
You're dropping pings to the router gateway itself. That indicates either a router problem or a problem with your computer itself... it's a safe bet now that it's the router.