uniqs
share rss forum feed

swiveled

join:2012-10-11
Jewett City, CT

1 edit

[help] AT&T will not offer DSL service to "Grandfathered Cu

Hello everyone!

I have been reading these forums quite a bit and have decided to post my AT&T ADSL woes to see if anyone can assist or shed some light for me. This is my post to copy into the AT&T Direct forums.

Address:Lisbon, CT 06351 [edited]

Service #: [edited]

I live on the end of the AT&T service area and they extended DSL to my location when SBCGlobal.net was the service provider. We have always had intermittent, VERY SLOW, constantly disconnecting DSL service.

Fed up with the service quality and being an online gamer / remote IT Support technician that needs a consistent ping, I decided to try a different local DSL service provider, 99 Main, for a month or two despite it being double the cost for the same service ($40.00/mo). 99 Main severed the service from AT&T and we went on. The internet quality was the same. Due to inexperience, I found that it is because of unmaintained, outdated equipment on the pole that routes service to my area. We found this out after 10's of support calls to 99 Main and having them contact AT&T.

Realizing it is AT&T's lines and equipment that is bad, rather than paying double the cost we contacted AT&T to re-establish our DSL service. The big issue we have is that AT&T will no longer offer us DSL service due to saying that we were "grandfathered" in, even though our neighbors and relatives who live next door to us still have AT&T service.

The internet service is so terrible as it is over these lines and with the equipment, we just want to go back to paying the nominal amount with AT&T V.S. double with 99 Main. Even though AT&T Chat representatives tell us the service is available and we just have to disconnect with 99 main, I am very apprehensive about doing so for fear that we may lose the ability to have DSL altogether. Once we call into support/sales, they say they cannot help us or escalate to a manager.

We have been a customer of AT&T for over 30 years with a home phone and other services and do not understand why they will not offer service to such a loyal customer. There is no sight of cable or UVERSE in the near future due to our location.

Anyone who could pull strings to even just get AT&T to please service our home with DSL once again (we still have their home land line connected) would be a great help to us. Thank you for reading.

Curtis & Family

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Re: [help] AT&T will not offer DSL service to "Grandfathere

You must be on the edge of getting DSL. Theres a guy here at work that has really crappy dsl service from AT&T. AT&T said there was nothing they could do other then cancel his services. Really what AT&T meant was that they are too cheap to keep their infrastructure maintained. Dont listen to any of those CSR's, they are liars that just want to keep you as a customer as long as they can. They told me DSL will be coming down my road in the near future. That was like 10 years ago........

anyways, you already said you contacted people in the AT&T direct forum, hopefully david will be able to help you out but let me tell you this now, dont hold your breath. AT&T is too damn cheap to upgrade their aging copper lines. If anything I would start looking into wireless. Millenicom is pretty good.

Good luck.
--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to swiveled

Unfortunately, the AT&T staff who can pull those strings read and post regularly in the AT&T Direct forum. That forum is private; this forum is accessible to the general public, so posting personal information here is not wise. I've requested a mod to check, so the information may be redacted before you return.

FWIW, AT&T is just a new name for SBC Global; same management and staff, new name (which came with the company when SBC bought AT&T in 2005).

Also, AT&T appears to have two plans for the future. In regions where it is financially feasible to maintain infrastructure, they are retiring legacy ADSL in favor of IP-DSL; either ADSL2+ or VDSL. This would be urban, and higher density suburban. Where they are not willing to incur costs of infrastructure upgrade, they are going to deploy wireless (4G/LTE?) You may be caught up in that; only the techs in the AT&T Direct forum can tell if you might still get hooked up with DSL service. And you can post your account details in that forum; just don't post it here.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to swiveled

Is cable available?

swiveled

join:2012-10-11
Jewett City, CT
reply to swiveled

Thank you guys for your quick replies and advice. Also, thank you for contacting a moderator to protect my identity. I didn't realize that I shouldn't post that type of information in this forum itself.

Unfortunately cable is not available otherwise I would have switched years ago. I will copy my post into the AT&T Direct forums to see if I can get any further assistance.

You guys rock!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

AT&T is too damn cheap to upgrade their aging copper lines. If anything I would start looking into wireless.

Probably true for the rural fringe (no AT&T DSL, that I can tell, in my old west Placer County haunts). But relatively dense suburban territory, with U-verse offered, may be another story. AT&T deployed a spanking new F2 span in my mother's 48-year-old neighborhood just about four years ago. So that is a "YMMV" statement.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum