how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

miakica

join:2009-11-10
reply to ejg1

Re: SSD Drives have arrived - I have Q's

said by koitsu:

1. Make sure AHCI mode is enabled in your system BIOS. You will probably have to reinstall Windows if you toggle this capability else risk bluescreen on boot; be warned.

said by ejg1:

Koitsu:
1) this means I wont be able to benchmark the drives from my current OS without installing the final OS to change AHCI. ok

Actually, there is a way to do it with Windows already installed, and save yourself re-installation time... I had to do it couple of times, and it worked without a hitch

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one more reboot and voilla .. enjoy the improved SSD performance.

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS (hold "Delete" key while Booting

In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE.

You now boot into windows 7, the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now the system needs one more reboot and voilla .. enjoy the improved SSD performance.