pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to woody1950

MVM

to woody1950

Re: SSH connection puzzle

Hi,

Given what you've described, it sounds like a firewall is blocking the connection between the end-points. You can also always test without ssh by using telnet: telnet some-machine sshd-port

Cheers,
-pablo
woody1950
join:2007-01-19
Decatur, GA

woody1950

Very bizarre. Yesterday, I rebooted my router (which is running Tomato). After that, I tested from 4 different devices behind the router:
1. Win7 PC. Previously could not connect from this machine, now I can
2. Linux device running Dropbear client: Could not connect before or after
3. Linux device running OpenSSH client: was able to connect before, but now can't.
4. Android phone: Can consistently connect from this device
5. Remote Linux server (not behind this router): Can consistently connect from this device

At this point, I'm really stumped to figure out why these connections are so variable. I'm thinking that it's some kind of routing issue, but I can't figure out where the connection is being blocked. I don't know if rebooting my router was a coincidence, or if I maybe got a new dynamic IP address from my ISP and if that made a difference.
pablo
MVM

pablo

MVM

Hi woody1950 See Profile,

How about a simple network topology (draw it in ASCII) of your set up. Once we have the topology, we should be able to start simplifying to identify the root-cause.

Cheers,
-pablo
woody1950
Decatur, GA

1 edit

woody1950

ISP(AT&T)
                                 |
                           |DSL Modem|
                                 |
                |Tomato Router/Linux Opware|
                                 |
         --------------------------------------------
        |                        |                   |
   |Win 7 PC|           |Linux server|     |Android Phone|

I have Telnet and SSH clients on all of these devices, including the Tomato router.

As I said in my last post, previously, the Win7 PC and the Tomato router were not able to connect, but the Linux Server and the Android phone could. Now, the Win7 PC and Android phone can connect, but the Tomato router and the Linux server cannot connect. In the cases where the devices can connect, I'm able to successfully connect using Telnet as well as SSH. In the cases where I can't connect, both Telnet and SSH fail.
pablo
MVM

pablo

MVM

Hi,

Please use the "code" tags to format your post.

Thx!
-pablo
woody1950
Decatur, GA

woody1950

OK, I fixed the post using block code tags. Thanks for the tip!
pablo
MVM

pablo

MVM

Hi,

Where's the Mac Server in the above scheme? I don't see it in the schematic. Is it on the Internet? Does it have tcpdump on it?

Does your Tomato router have tcpdump?

We'll use the currently failing box, the Linux server for our testing. Let me know on the above.

Thx!
-pablo

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 edit

koitsu

MVM

tcpdump is available for Tomato-based routers. The easiest way to get a working tcpdump binary is to use a statically-linked version. For most routers (MIPSR1 or MIPSR2-based) you can use this binary:

»multics.minidns.net/toma ··· /tcpdump

That comes from rhester72's utilities site where he makes some of these things available to folks. I personally prefer to use Entware, but for a quick-and-dirty "I don't have time or the space to deal with Entware I just need tcpdump!" situaiton, the above works.

telnet/ssh into the router, wget the above URL, chmod 755 the binary, go to town. I'm not going to provide a "how to use tcpdump" write-up. Note: this binary does not do IPv6.

P.S. -- I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be an IPv6 thing. :P