MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to SysOp

MVM

to SysOp

Re: SSD in an older XP Home System???

Are you aware that Windows uses the pagefile for offloading unused portions of memory within drivers? Some software even makes the assumption that the pagefile is enabled, including some Microsoft software (perfmon comes to mind). References:

»lifehacker.com/5426041/u ··· sable-it
»www.tweakhound.com/2011/ ··· out-one/
»superuser.com/questions/ ··· l-paging
»technicallyeasy.net/2011 ··· be-done/
»www.howtogeek.com/126430 ··· able-it/

There is irony in the "page file was needed back with Windows 95" statement, as it implies that because today's Windows OS is newer (i.e. Vista/7/8) that somehow there's no need for the pagefile. Surprise: the pagefile is used for lots of other things than just "out of memory" situations, solely as a result of technological evolution that's occurred since Windows 95.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

In the past I tried to disable pagefile several times on various Windoze machines with 'insane' amounts of RAM (i.e. Win98 with 0.5 or 1 Gig, Win2k with 3 or 4 Gig) and while the systems didn't crash immediately, in general they were much less stable compared to their pagefile enabled states.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to koitsu

to koitsu
OMG you are right. The fear of instability is a reason not to even try this. Ignore that windows 7 is stable with or with out a page file.

Kids, do not try this at home. You could crash your system so bad it could blow up and catch your house on fire, killing everyone on earth.
SysOp

SysOp to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Win98/Win2k/WinXP are much less stable than Win7 regardless.