how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CBLMorphis

join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

[General] Why Does AT&T Have So Much Control

As the topic says, in the Riverside, Ca area, been years and still no option to get any Fiber/ADSL2. Have had DSL, for a long time but ready for something better.

UVerse hasn't been available for 2-3 years or so even tho people have it right across the street and AT&T can't give me one reason why we can't get it.

Cable is out of the question.

Problem I have with this, if I lived anywhere else outside of Riverside, I could get something better.

Why does AT&T have so much control yet other areas have so many options. I know I am not the only one that feels this way.
--
Like My DSL!!!

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

Until you cancel service and go with your only other provider (cable) they have absolutely no reason to compete (AKA - Uverse )

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Bad thing with my cable provider, i get high pings and alot of lagg compared to my DSL, I am happy with my DSL don't get me wrong, 6mbit/768 not bad considering i get very very close to those speeds, but was hopping for something to upgrade soon.
--
Like My DSL!!!

giraffedata

join:2009-07-11
San Jose, CA

That's a pretty amorphous question. Do you mean why does AT&T (i.e. AT&T stockholders) have the power to not build you a better network? That's a pretty easy answer: basic American freedom.

But it also sounds like you're wondering why nobody chooses to offer Internet service in Riverside while they do in other areas. I'm sure there's a simple reason for that (demographics, geography, law, history, or something like that), but I don't have a clue. I know AT&T likes money as much as anyone, so if the people of Riverside were willing to pay the cost of building that network, I'm sure AT&T would be all over it. Either it costs more than in other areas or you folks don't want it as much!

CBLMorphis

Riverside, CA

Well i would pay for it, and the question still remains, why people across from me can get it, but i can not. 2-3 years i think is long enough to justify why i cannot get it. I find it very hard to believe that money is an issue here.
--
Like My DSL!!!

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

The people across from you are obviously on the cable that connects the VDSL VRAD.

One of the draw backs of VDSL is you can't just expand willy nilly. They would have to run a VRAD on your side, which seems unlikely if they have not already done so.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

The problem with Uverse is that it's based on distance. If you live more than 3,600 feet from the VRAD then you are too far for U verse. The people across the street are probably at the end of the loop therefore they barely can get Uverse. The downside is they(AT&T) don't plan on any more expansion of Uverse so you are sol for now. Lets hope the economy improves, I think that will be a big factor in the expansion or upgrading the network to all fiber. I'm in the same boat as you, my neighborhood is all fiber to the curb. It's expensive on a per house basis to upgrade so AT&T decided to leave that fiber under the ground in the dark.