All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JeanLuc
join:2009-08-11
Hawkesbury, ON

JeanLuc

[INTERNET] What happended to the Pro Package?

Hi, I'm a pretty satisfied Cogeco customer but maybe a year back I lived 2 streets down where I am now and had a great internet service with the Pro Package I believe it was called. I remember doing Speed tests and constantly getting 15-20 down as well as 4 + MBps during Steam downloads. Since I have moved though, about a year ago, all I have is the 14 Package, which is remarkably slower albeit cheaper.

I don't mind the price though, It was 89.99 I think and I always had 50.00 $ in extra bandwidth(Went over by 60-120 GB or so). Now, I've called to see if I could get something better but they say I can't. How is it that there was already faster speeds but that it's not available any more? I was told there needs to be an upgrade to all the lines before it's available(For the 20 + packages).

I live in Hawkesbury Ontario, if anyone could help me get back what used to have, that'd be great. Please take my money, you're a good service.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Pro was replaced by Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 55, and "Standard" which was renamed Turbo 14 is being replaced by Turbo 20 for new installs. If you can't get Turbo 20, Ultimate 30 or Ultimate 55, you get Turbo 14 and - I believe - Pro instead. Pro is really no faster than Turbo 14, though - it's 16Mbit/s instead of 14.
JeanLuc
join:2009-08-11
Hawkesbury, ON

JeanLuc

That's the problem, I had 15 MegaBYTES per second and now it's megabits. I called to upgrade and Turbo 14 is the highest they said I could get here. I'd really like something faster though and price is not an issue. Is there any way I can opt for like a business package that's faster? Even if it's 150 + $.

If the infrastructure was already there to support it, I don't understand why they wouldn't offer it any more?

**EDIT**
Okay my bad, was sure speedtest measured in MBps as default. Thought I was getting 1.7 MBps usually when I tested, turns out I've been getting 200 kbps? Think that might be on the low end.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to JeanLuc

Premium Member

to JeanLuc
If you're not getting the speeds you should be getting for your service, please don't hesitate to PM me your modem MAC and I'd be happy to take a look!

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

Bry to JeanLuc

to JeanLuc
15MB/s would be 120Mbit/s, so no, you never got that.

I moved in August and downgraded from Pro to Turbo 14, the bandwidth is still acceptable.. but the combined monthly usage cap is unacceptably small, it saddens me that Cogeco won't make publicly available a timeline for migration to DOCSIS3.. or even an aggregated list of areas where it's available.

Their social networking presence, and employees like Aaron, might make them seem pro-consumer.. but they're fairly allergic to transparency.

So, If you believe you're not getting what you paid for, contact Cogeco.. and maybe the CCTS.