dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
IIVisionII
join:2002-06-17

IIVisionII

[Availability] How to know maximum speed phone line can handle?

I currently have 3mbit ATT DSL at my home on one of two phone lines. I want to cancel that line as it's never used now and re-order it on a second phone line in my house.

Online it shows that up to 6mbit service is available, but I'm hesitant to believe it because I have always been told that 3mbit is the highest I could go to in the past (and I had to have them manually go up to 3mbit because it only showed up to 1.5mbit.)

Is there any way to find out so I don't order and pay for a service my line can't even handle?

Also, I have a modem and router already, but online it tries to charge me 100 dollars for a gateway. Is this absolutely necessary? I couldn't find anyway to not select the option.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Re: [Availability] How to know maximum speed phone line can hand

A while back the AT&T DSL website changed to show that at my address, the 6.0 Mbps service was available. Previously it had not been available as a choice for my specific address. I switched from 3.0 to 6.0. No major problems. It took less than a week for the order to be completed from the time I made the selection in the online ordering system. That is no guarantee you will have the same experience, but it seems to hold true where I live.

What I would do is order the 6.0 DSL for the phone line you want to keep, without cancelling the 3.0 on the other one. If the DSL works as advertised, then cancel the 3.0 DSL telephone line service. If it does not work as advertised, reduce it to the 3.0 level and see if that works. If so, cancel the service for the other line.

Yes this is an added expense for a month, but it is like hanging by one lifeline as you secure another one. You don't unfasten the first before making sure the second will support you. You do not want to be in a position where another customer, awaiting DSL service, gets your old slot, just when you need it due to bad performance of the second line. If the new line does not work, and all other slots are used, you are out of luck.
IIVisionII

IIVisionII

Sounds like a good idea. Do you by chance know if there's a period where you can still cancel if I have to sign a contract though? Or am I just stuck in that case?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

It says you can cancel, but you will not get the promotional rate if you try to sign up later. As far as I know, if you cancel within 30 days of the service start date, there is no penalty or cancellation charge. That gives you at least a full week to test out the service. Do not wait until the end of the 30 days to cancel. It can take a a while to process, so I would do the cancellation before day 21.

DesertRats
Premium Member
join:2003-11-23
Santa Clarita, CA

DesertRats to IIVisionII

Premium Member

to IIVisionII
Unless they will give you a promo price for the other line I would just call them up and have the DSL moved from the one line to the one you are going to keep. I did that some time back and it only took a few minutes from the time I hung up till it was done. As for the speed upgrade, I would also call and they should be able to check/test to see if yUnless our line will support the 6mbit. Also they should be able to remove the modem from the order.
IIVisionII

IIVisionII

There is a promo price for the other line, which is one of the reasons I don't want to just upgrade this one. I did the online chat last night and the representative said she would have a tech test the line and get in touch with me. She was kind of annoying because however much I said I'm not ordering right at that moment she kept telling me well go order it right now. Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The representative maybe gets a bonus for people she convinces to order. Or maybe it is just the script generator. Thus repeated requests to order.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to IIVisionII

Premium Member

to IIVisionII
said by IIVisionII:

Is there any way to find out so I don't order and pay for a service my line can't even handle?

I wonder if AT&T U-verse (DSLAM/VRAD) is available in your area?

Sonic.net may also have a DSLAM in AT&T's local central office.

If you enter your phone number at Sonic.net, it will display either:
quote:
Good news! Looks like Sonic.net Fusion is available.
Your location is about ______ feet from our local serving office.
- or -

Sorry! It looks like you aren't within range for Fusion.
We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are _____ feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal

If service is available from AT&T's U-verse or Sonic.net, then you will need an ADSL2+ modem to achieve the higher bandwidth, and you can cross reference ADSL2+ bandwidth versus distance (DSLAM link).
IIVisionII

IIVisionII

Actually from what I've been seeing I can't even choose DSL for the phone line. Only UVerse internet up to 6mbits, which requires a 100 dollar gateway to sign up for.

When i use your link and put my phone number i get this which tells me to go to dsl extreme

"Sonic.net Partner ISPs
Fusion appears to be available where you are located, but is offered through a relationship with local providers serving your area. To learn more about their Fusion offering, please select a logo to continue"

DSL extreme shows that I can get DSL but only up to 3mbit.

I haven't heard anything from the tech the rep said I would be contacted by. I'm just confused as to do at this point, because I don't want to get stuck with a 100 dollar gateway as well if I can't reach their advertised speeds once I get the service.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
N California

SCADAGeo

Premium Member

said by IIVisionII:

Actually from what I've been seeing I can't even choose DSL for the phone line. Only UVerse internet up to 6mbits, which requires a 100 dollar gateway to sign up for.

When i use your link and put my phone number i get this which tells me to go to dsl extreme

"Sonic.net Partner ISPs
Fusion appears to be available where you are located, but is offered through a relationship with local providers serving your area. To learn more about their Fusion offering, please select a logo to continue"

DSL extreme shows that I can get DSL but only up to 3mbit.

I haven't heard anything from the tech the rep said I would be contacted by. I'm just confused as to do at this point, because I don't want to get stuck with a 100 dollar gateway as well if I can't reach their advertised speeds once I get the service.

I'm confused, too... I wonder if you already have an ADSL2+ modem?

FWIW, earlier in the week, I purchased two TP-LINK TD-8817 ADSL2+ modems for $14.99 each (sale ends tonight) at Fry's Electronics for backup, just in case the Speedstream modem dies...

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

The only ADSL2+ modems that will authenticate on the AT&T IPDSLAMs are those that AT&T currently sells. The old 4100b modems that AT&T sold in the past which are ADSL2+ capable will not authenticate, nor will any generic ADSL2+ modems.

Those modems will probably sync correctly, but that is as far as you would get using them.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
N California

1 edit

SCADAGeo

Premium Member

said by d_l:

Those modems will probably sync correctly, but that is as far as you would get using them.

Thanks for the heads up.

I purchased them for my parents (retired), who are currently on standard DSL.

[edited grammar]

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

said by SCADAGeo:

Thanks for the heads up.

I purchased them for my parents (retired), who are on currently on standard DSL.

If they work well for plain DSL, at that price they are a bargain and a wise choice. With AT&T's on-going forced conversions to U-Verse (IPDLSLAM ADSL2+), it is crazy to spend a lot of money buying a modem that might be obsoleted by the conversion in the very near future. If you have to buy a new modem, spend the least amount you can and still have a decent modem. I still advise people to try to find a working used 4100b if possible.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to d_l

Premium Member

to d_l
said by d_l:

The only ADSL2+ modems that will authenticate on the AT&T IPDSLAMs are those that AT&T currently sells. The old 4100b modems that AT&T sold in the past which are ADSL2+ capable will not authenticate, nor will any generic ADSL2+ modems.

Are you saying then that all U=verse customers must purchase the ADSL2+ modems from AT&T, no choice?
What modems do the offer in this case?

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit

d_l

MVM

said by bbear2:

Are you saying then that all U=verse customers must purchase the ADSL2+ modems from AT&T, no choice?
What modems do the offer in this case?

Correct. This is due to new authentication method and transport protocol. They are no longer using PPPoE which non-AT&T ADSL2+ modems would still have and use.

Sorry, I don't keep up with the U-Verse modem models, but I believe there is still a Motorola modem and Pace (old 2Wire) gateway. See: »IP-DSLAM FAQ

Edit: ... or buy a used AT&T IPDSLAM modem.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 edit

bbear2

Premium Member

If they don't use the PPPoE authentication protocol, what are they using? Is it proprietary or something that new that nobody has yet. I'm wondering if this exclusivity is permanent or temporary. thanks.

edit: I found this: (source: »pctech.invisibill.net/?p ··· e_id=139)
quote:
With this new U-verse IP-DSL, 802.1X authentication is used in place of PPPoE. This means that existing routers’ PPPoE is of no use, as only devices containing AT&T’s certificate will properly authenticate with their system. At this time, there are no other devices that can act as an endpoint of the IP-DSL connection, so it’s technically impossible to use “bridged mode” with U-verse IP-DSL. However, “IP passthrough” will generally do the exact same thing that people are trying to achieve with bridged mode, and it’s very simple to configure this on the 2210-02-1ATT.

IIVisionII

IIVisionII

I doubt it makes a difference, but I have a speedstream 4100 (doesn't say a or b or anything). I never did get that call back from a tech in case anyone was curious. With all the horror stories with setting up uverse (also from first hand experience friends had) I'm shying away from even bothering with it at this point. Doesn't seem worth the additional expense and headache.
IIVisionII

IIVisionII

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I called them today and they offered me 15 off 3mbit service for a year or upgrade to uverse at the 20 dollar price for 6 mbit and she would waive the modem fee. I went with option 2. They said the DSL would go down the 29th and the uverse would be up by the 30th. They also said I have 30 days and it could be reversed if needed.

The one thing that confused me is that I thought that physical changes were needed to be made on the line to switch to uverse. She said that nothing needs changing on my end and its done automatically. Oh well. Hopefully I was mistaken before.

Wish me luck.