how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vpnproblems

@rcn.com

1 edit

[Connectivity] Very slow vpn speeds - Manhattan

Hello. I am having very slow speeds once connected to my company's VPN. Here is the situation:

+ When connected directly to my cable modem, I get ~5Mb/s download speed when using the rcn and dslreports speed tests

+ When I connect to my corporate vpn (Juniper Network Connect 7.1.8 SSL VPN client), speeds drop to unusable levels. DSL reports speed test reports ~128Kb/s down and the rcn one won't even run it is so slow. Upload speeds remain roughly the same at 350Kb/s

+ The VPN works fine using other internet connections (e.g., my Verizon 3G connection) - speeds are perfectly fine

+ I have called RCN customer support, and they ran diagnostics and said everything is fine. I mentioned RCN2940 and they did not know what that was and couldn't find a reference to it.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? My company says things are fine on their side since other employees are able to connect and my connection works on the 3G card.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

Re: [Connectivity] Very slow vpn speeds

Need you to post your encoded mac address of your modem.
I mentioned RCN2940 and they did not know what that was and couldn't find a reference to it. Actually never impacted speeds it would have solved VPN not working at all. Although actually doesn't apply any longer long since gone.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

vpnproblems

@rcn.com

Encoded Mac: 791b59a13dba318c4a9e3c38c8afd3f14726a9a5

Oh, and this is in Manhattan. Thanks!

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

Yea I'm not seeing anything obvious on our side. I do notice that you have one of the really old models of modems but I highly doubt in this case that's causing you any heartache. Generally the modem doesn't care about the type of connection you have...

Can you do me a favor if you have the information. Without connecting to the VPN if you know the IP of the remote host do a traceroute to it. And *email* that to me, If you can do that try making a connection to the VPn and then traceroute to the speedtest server either ours or dslreports. I have a feeling it's something of a between us and them problem.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Expand your moderator at work

vpnproblems

@rcn.com
reply to negativeduck

Re: [Connectivity] Very slow vpn speeds

Thanks, Bryan. I emailed what info I could on Friday. Forgot to mention that I've had RCN for about 3 years now. This problem only arose in the last month or so.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

Thanks,

As I'm sure you were afraid I'm not seeing anything at all. Even from the traceroutes as you'd expect you get a better connection / path via us than over the cell lines so I can't see why that would break. Part of me is wondering if your modem is simply craping out and this is the first sign but that would be something we've never seen happen before but the last two weeks have been nothing but "Well that's new" over here.

By chance did your IT guys happen to do a traceroute from their concentrator back to you? Just wondering if there is something in reverse path to us although I suspect there isn't.

Do you ever notice if you have problems GETTING the connection? IE does it take longer than it should or does that go fine just once your connected you have an issue.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

vpnproblems

@rcn.com

Hi Bryan,

The issue has been resolved. It appears it was an ISP routing issue that my company's network folks tracked down. Appreciate your time looking into the matter for me.