spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buckshot1969

join:2013-01-03

The Wife Works From Home

Weird, haven't been to the forums in years, maybe even a decade and I guess my account got purged. I came here when DSL was first being offered in my area through Bell South. oh well, glad I could get back in with my old username and a new registration.

I got tired of the consumer quality routing/wireless devices that have been plaguing us, and jumped into a USG50 and a WAP3205...problem is, I'm no longer technically savvy enough to set this puppy up and I'm no longer working from a desk to be able to sit and figure it out.

Anyone here willing to build a configuration file based on my environment (home) where I provide the documentation information and dropbox/google drive me the file? We're 30+ devices in this house including two VOIP lines and multiple computers, much of it wired through a prosafe switch.

All content viewing is streamed now having dropped cable subscription. I'm not even completely sure I have the right device in the USG50, but I took one look at UI and realized in 1.5 secs that I won't be able to do it, not without lots of trial and error. It was reco'd from a friend so I jumped on it with no research.

I presently use DHCP with reserved IP's which I like because some devices I don't care what they get and I don't have to do anything on the device side. I have some content management on a few devices, and there are other things as well. I'm in the Smyrna GA area..would gladly pay for the time and expertise to tune it.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

What are your requirements for the 30+ devices network?

buckshot1969

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm a charter customer so the basic ethernet setup on WAN1 is fine. I need the ability to throttle certain devices as well as content filtering and internet access on a calendar schedule (these are kids devices such as tablets, ipods, laptops, game consoles, etc with access stopping and starting at certain times) and these rules are being managed via mac and IP addresses. I have used reserved IP's mainly so I know when two network printers go on the fritz and can reinstall drivers but maybe a more robust router will solve some of those issues. I have two VOIP lines so getting QOS for those, as well as QOS for my wife's corporate laptop which she sometimes uses for IP phone. It seemed I have the ability to either do DHCP or static on initial setup, which, I don't want to use static if I have to configure IP's for each device. But maybe I don't need to manage devices by IP address and can use another method?

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to buckshot1969

I can't do what you want, but I can make a suggestion. I can also relate to the complexity cudgel one is faced with starting new with the device, but I don't think you will be able to maintain the router without spending some time reading the User Guide and rummaging through the menus.

My suggestion is that unless the Prosafe is a smart switch, you might want to obtain a smart level 2 switch and, in concert with the USG, establish some VLANs. (There are write-ups on the www that clarify how those work.) With VLANs you can separate out traffic (such as that of your wife's business) from being accessible to others' devices, while establishing in the switch who can talk to whom via the switch versus via the router firewall. (My experience is only with the Cisco SG200-26, so the details of other switches may be different.) In particular, I would think that inter-residence video streaming would want to go through a GB switch and not add load to the USG.

Whoever is expert enough to help you with the USG configuration should be able to handle the switch configuration.

kirby

buckshot1969

Thanks Kirby. Youre right about learning the router. I've been heads down today with it, and the new wap3205 AP and I definitely need VLANS for better management and QOS. I can set up my kids devices within one VLAN with specific parameters for the entire VLAN, media devices, etc. When I think about it, it's sort of overkill, but I love learning this stuff. Just been out of it for quite some time and it's not my profession.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to buckshot1969

With the USG 50 you have the option of exploiting the built-in ZONES and with that aspect you can isolate your traffic requirements including bandwidth management so while VLAN's are very nice to have the ZONES work just great.

If you are going to do lots of multi-device streaming and VoIP the USG50 may not have the horsepower. Live Video streaming is not a big issue unless more than 3 devices are streaming concurrently and thrown in VoIP with a high rate of concurrency and the USG50 will struggle. My point is carefully determine your traffic needs --- VoIP needs 128Kbps Tx/Rx for each phone in use and that is real time traffic -- so for example if 3 people start using the IP phone system at the same time you will need to reserve 384Kbps Tx/RX for the subnet used by your VoIP ATA. If a computer is involved that uses a IP softphone then that must be factored into your equation etc.

30+ devices is not the issue but traffic requirements becomes an issue especially with REAL-TIME TRAFFIC demands from streaming services, VoIP, gaming. Surfing the web and email places very little loads but some social activities changes the equations dramatically.

Just something for you to think about.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

I admit to not having looked into ZONES very much. I'll have to do so.

k

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to buckshot1969

The site got hacked some years ago. We all were told to change our passwords and something else. maybe your username got dropped at that time.

buckshot1969

reply to buckshot1969

Thanks mozerd, I've begun to realize the USG50 may not best serve my specific needs. I'm presently using a dir-655 and the wireless has been less than stellar. I've set up the WAP3250 and it's currently working to satisfaction. I've put our VOIP box in the DMZ so I'm not sure if QoS will even be applicable now, haven't used it for any length of time yet. So, i'm still on the hunt for a gateway device that can serve our needs with stability, ability to ramp up on the throughput when called upon, and with some flexibility to implement controls. I realize most of what's marketed in consumer based routing devices is a lot of fluff and want a device that doesn't have to be UTM level security since we use mostly cloud based file management. our bandwidth usage in afternoons gets heavier with everyone "on". The VOIP is what's suffered most and i take the brunt of it when my wife's conference calls suffer I don't get paid as an IT admin either...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to buckshot1969

What would be approprate then Mozerd? A USG 200?
I have also seen a picture of an ISG 50?
»partner.zyxel.eu/assets/uk/pdf/I···olutions

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Yes the USG200 without UTM services would be a good candidate.

I would segregate the VoIP traffic on a dedicated Zone and allocate via Bandwidth Management sufficient bandwidth to that Zone to cover the worst case scenario for VoIP traffic. The Wife's wired PC would also be placed in the same Zone. The VoIP Zone would have traffic priority over any other Zone.

All the wireless traffic would be on another dedicated Zone --- and via Bandwidth Management allocate sufficient bandwidth to cover that Zone for those devices.

The WAP3205 will not do the Job. My suggestion is to get the Netgear R6300 configured in AP Mode and that will service all the wireless devices especially the new generation of smartphones, tablets, etc. Its streaming capability to multiple wireless devices is exceptional based on the available bandwidth.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

I'd still give the USG50 a shot. Two VoIP lines and streaming should not be a problem (all without UTM though).
30+ devices? What are those? iPads, phones, some laptops, cell phones?
Are all 30+ used at a same time? What kind of usage?
How many will be streaming video at the same time?

Most importantly, how big is the ISP pipe?

More info is needed for the sizing, USG50 may still be good.