how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

[HSI] End of promotion..what will happen?

My promotion price will end next month. I currently have the 15/2 tier and own my own modem, bought from Charter. I know the price will go up, but will the speed automatically go to 30 since they no longer offer 15? What about my modem...can I still use it or will they have to change it also since they include the price with the service? Everytime I call I get different answers.
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

Premium
join:2012-06-11

I'm in a similar situation to you, I'd love to know the details...

Now the CSR I spoke to stated that I could continue to have my service go unchanged (except for the price) and continue to use my modem, and receive the 15 mb service, although my service with the DOCSIS 2 modem is now showing average speeds of around 22 mb down.

I'm almost sorry I accepted the offer they made me last year where I was given the 15mb plan at the same price as the
Internet lite 3mb plan I started out with. Very annoyed.

I seems that from what I gather that IF I would have simply continued to stick with the internet lite tier of service I would have had that grandfathered in at the price of 25$/mo.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to ITICharlie1

Billing will ALWAYS be in their favor. My promo just expired (partially) and Charter won't budge one bit.
They'll probably force you to call in for your speed increase so they can try and sell you their phone service (that nobody wants).
They wouldn't shut up about the phone service. This isn't 1990. Phone service is completely irrelevant to me and my family.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to ITICharlie1

If you do nothing then all that will happen is the price will go up. If you change the plan which, IMO, is only logical, then you'll go up to 30Mbps.

Whether or not you have to change the modem seems irrelevant since it comes with the price of the new plan. Heck, perhaps you could even sell your older one and get a little pocket change.

ITICharlie1
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to 15444104

I just used the Chat feature and here is what I was told. I can keep my current speed and modem and pay $47.99 per month, or for $49.00 upgrade to the 30/5 tier...only thing is I keep my modem but still pay the same price as everyone else that they provide a modem. When the time comes I might try to sweet talk the CSR to do something about this because I refuse to go back to ATT. Anyone know if they still give the promotional price after you pay full price for a period of time?
--

whoaru99

No. For the most part promos have gone the way of the Dodo bird. The only promo that's readily obtainable is the new customer price if you have not had any Charter service for 90 days (or something like that).

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to ITICharlie1

said by ITICharlie1:

I just used the Chat feature and here is what I was told. I can keep my current speed and modem and pay $47.99 per month, or for $49.00 upgrade to the 30/5 tier...only thing is I keep my modem but still pay the same price as everyone else that they provide a modem.

My discount package for adding telephone last year expired this month, and this is exactly how my bill changed. I chose the 30 over 15 for $2.00 more, and left my TV package as is. I was relieved I could still use my modem.

Premium

2 edits

I wonder if you do choose to accept their DOCSIS 3 modem how they get it to you if you change your service on line, do they send it by mail or do you have to go to the office to pick one up.

The price of the modem is included in your service "FOR NOW"
I wonder how long it will be before you are charged for that "free modem"? Judging how Charter is behaving now I wouldn't count on that modem being free for long.....also it is a crap shoot as to the condition and quality of the "free modem" you get. Unless someone can prove otherwise. I have a owned since new moto SB5101U that has been rock solid and it hasn't been abused. LOL

I was just pricing ATT DSL and all I need is the basic 768/128 package is 19.95/ 6 mos and 30 a month after with no contract .

My folks have that exact ATT service and while it is not good for streaming long videos or live streams it does just fine for lite surfing and watching short videos which is all I need. Just as important it has almost NEVER gone down since they got it in 2007. Very reliable service.

And I get to save around 20 bucks a month as well. Not small peanuts for most ordinary consumers today. My budget is tight.

whoaru99

Probably can do it either way. They sent a replacement modem to me. It was a new-in-the-box Ubee DOCSIS 3.

I would not assume it either way though, I'd specifically ask it be sent if that's what you want.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

I was just pricing ATT DSL and all I need is the basic 768/128 package is 19.95/ 6 mos and 30 a month after with no contract .

My folks have that exact ATT service and while it is not good for streaming long videos or live streams it does just fine for lite surfing and watching short videos which is all I need. Just as important it has almost NEVER gone down since they got it in 2007. Very reliable service.

And I get to save around 20 bucks a month as well. Not small peanuts for most ordinary consumers today. My budget is tight.

Man, that 128 up is pretty sad. DSL means 128/768 is really about 100/690 due to the DSL overhead.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to whoaru99

said by whoaru99:

Probably can do it either way. They sent a replacement modem to me. It was a new-in-the-box Ubee DOCSIS 3.

I would not assume it either way though, I'd specifically ask it be sent if that's what you want.

Friend just got Charter HSI as a new customer. The modem is a SB6121.

whoaru99

said by lineofsight:

Friend just got Charter HSI as a new customer. The modem is a SB6121.

Yeah, it can/does seem to vary by area. My GF got a replacement modem that I think is a Cisco. It came from the local office. A grubby little bugger it was.

To the point of the previous post about what you'll get, based on my experience you're more likely to get a new modem if you have one sent than if you go pick one up at the local office.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ITICharlie1

said by ITICharlie1:

I just used the Chat feature and here is what I was told. I can keep my current speed and modem and pay $47.99 per month, or for $49.00 upgrade to the 30/5 tier...only thing is I keep my modem but still pay the same price as everyone else that they provide a modem. When the time comes I might try to sweet talk the CSR to do something about this because I refuse to go back to ATT. Anyone know if they still give the promotional price after you pay full price for a period of time?

A) It's $50 for 30/4 not $49 for 30/5. And yes I kw that's nitpicky.

B) If you keep your modem you will not consistently get 30 Mbps speeds if your modem isn't a docsis 3.0 modem.

C) Don't forget you cap also goes up from 100 GB to 250 GB.

Personally I'd rather pay $50 for 30 meg and 250 GB cap than pay $48 for 15 meg and a 100 GB cap.

Premium

said by 88615298 See Profile

Personally I'd rather pay $50 for 30 meg and 250 GB cap than pay $48 for 15 meg and a 100 GB cap.

:

Some choice there.....LOL

Alex....I'll take 24.99 for 3 megs.

Expand your moderator at work

ITICharlie1
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to 88615298

Re: [HSI] End of promotion..what will happen?

said by 88615298:

said by ITICharlie1:

A) It's $50 for 30/4 not $49 for 30/5. And yes I kw that's nitpicky.

B) If you keep your modem you will not consistently get 30 Mbps speeds if your modem isn't a docsis 3.0 modem.

C) Don't forget you cap also goes up from 100 GB to 250 GB.

I was quoted $49.00, but what is a dollar. I have a Motorola 6120, so I'm covered for DOCSIS 3.0. So far I have not had a problem with the 100 GB cap, and that is streaming Netfix several times a week, but for $3.00 more a month I would be stupid not to upgrade when the time comes.

I just cannot go back to ATT. I had there Elite service tier 6/1, but every evening it would drop below 2, and never got a good answer on why. Now they don't even offer DSL in my area for new customers, you have to go U-verse.
--

technologiq

join:2000-08-08
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ITICharlie1

Charter billing prices look to be all over the place at the end of your promo period.

I got the 100/5 installed in December of '11 on a 1 year term (2 year wasn't available to me for some reason). The cost was $59/mo.

Fast forward a year and I'm waiting for my bill to come in at $110/mo (and I would have gone 30/4 or back to my FTTP U-verse). But lo-and-behold, my bill only went up $10 which was insignificant enough to keep me with Charter.

Very strange...

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

So, now you're paying $69? Good deal.

Or, are you paying $120? Bad deal, IMO.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

technologiq

join:2000-08-08