Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

They Know What You're Shopping For

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···214.html from »www.hardocp.com/news/2013/01/03/···tails63/ ...

"'You're looking at the premium package, right?' Companies today are increasingly tying people's real-life identities to their online browsing habits..."
Expand your moderator at work

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to antdude

Re: They Know What You're Shopping For

I used to think terms like "Business Intelligence" and "Business Analytics" belonged in the pile of
other (what I consider) trash "sciences" (like political science)... scary thing is it's crazy just how
MUCH information these b*stards want, what lengths they'll go to get it, what they can do with it,
and most scarily... just how little people think about it when they hit the 'Submit' button on their
browser.

Regards

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to antdude

The Journal tested an additional 20 sites that deal with sensitive information, including sites dealing with personal relationships, medical information and children. Nine of these sent potentially identifying information elsewhere.

Sometimes the information was encoded and sent in a special transmission to another company. Other times, though, people's names were simply included in the title or address of the Web page.

The third party shuffle around anonymizing info.
WSJ has a real story here.....naming and exposing the practice?
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!