how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

triumph

join:2007-01-03
Austin, TX
reply to triumph

Re: [Equipment] Any IP phone smaller than a Cisco SPA 301?

My mother is going to Taiwan to visit family. I tried to get her to use a smartphone before but she doesn't want to. Plus I doubt she wants to deal with setting up WiFi and data plans.

I'll probably just go ahead an order the SPA301, looks like it's only $53 on Amazon.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:19

If you go with the IP phone, you might have to tweak a setting in the phone or her family's router to get it to work. If she won't be taking her own computer, you'll need to borrow one of theirs to make the change. Your mom could be a go-between, if there is a language barrier.

If they have a landline phone that she can use, consider a call-back service as a backup. For example, Future-Nine is $0.013/min. to Taiwan fixed and $0.01 to the US, only $0.023 total. Calling you on your Callcentric iNum is $0.0164. Or, if she'll have access to a computer and landline, she can use Callcentric click-to-call.

If she will be traveling without her family being with her, give her an unlocked cell phone to carry for safety. Calls to TW mobile are not cheap, but it's a lot better than having no communication when needed.