spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada
reply to Tsiwth

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

said by Tsiwth :

It's pretty terrible tonight on mcnicoll. Teksavvy, what the heck is going on? If it's not one thing, it's something else.

Congestion on McNicoll POI between 9p.m. and 11p.m. has little to do with Youtube cache servers.

I think a couple (not all) of you are just experiencing congestion during prime time (might even be node congestion). Are any of you running speedtests around 9:30p.m.?

BritanniaTec

join:2012-10-13
Ottawa, ON
reply to mau108

I got the same here, must wait for the buffer to complete YouTube videos where they used to start in to run immediately before, even with 1080p videos, now 360p videos are taking forever to start up. and I'm on a 28MB connection. Annoying to say the least

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to HKPolice

yup having buffering issues on hd youtube videos! getting f'ing annoyed with it.

It's happening on my smart tv, my android tv stick, my pc youtube!

edit: my speedtest done right now..

abcjak

join:2012-12-18
reply to abcjak

said by abcjak:

still doesn't play for me at 1080. It will play at 720 but just barely keeps up with player atm.

video did not play for me at 1080p for a few days after my kast post.. I tried again and it does play now. I have noticed a significant decrease in youtube lags the last few days.. something has changed for me considering it was buffer/lagging since the switch to TSI back in october.

NOTORIOUS VR

join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON
reply to MrMazda86

said by MrMazda86:

It must be something to do with the area that you're in. Whether I try it from my TSI connection in Kitchener or St. George, the results are always the same... It seems to work without any issue. Perhaps there's a further under-laying issue with network congestion in the area that TSI isn't stepping up to the plate on?

AS of recent updates youtube seems to be working well and video's are now buffering extremely fast. Just like I was when I was on Rogers.

My posts were more about TSI denying anything was wrong on their end (back when I first signed up) even though 3 days prior to switching to them from Rogers I had absolutely no issues at all with my connection. Up until recently youtube playback remained abysmal, so this is a nice change to see that they're working on it. But it took them far too long IMO.

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to NOTORIOUS VR

It must be something to do with the area that you're in. Whether I try it from my TSI connection in Kitchener or St. George, the results are always the same... It seems to work without any issue. Perhaps there's a further under-laying issue with network congestion in the area that TSI isn't stepping up to the plate on?

Tsiwth

@teksavvy.com
reply to NOTORIOUS VR

It's pretty terrible tonight on mcnicoll. Teksavvy, what the heck is going on? If it's not one thing, it's something else.

NOTORIOUS VR

join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON
reply to MrMazda86

said by MrMazda86:

said by jmck:

yeah youtube still sucks on TSI.

I don't think it's a problem with TSI actually. I think it's a problem with the cable in particular as I seem to have absolutely NO issue with YouTube (even in HD) on their DSL service.

It is 100% a TSI issue... On Rogers Cable I never had any issues with youtube. The day I switched from Rogers to TSI I had nothing but issues with youtube and certain downloads stalling. I complained to teksavvy multiple times, their diagnostics tools were speedtest.net and the ping command... since speed test was good and ping was decent apparently nothing is wrong.

So much for "superior technical support" from the folks at TSI.

trueanimus

@sbcglobal.net
reply to MrMazda86

after checking several sources and my ps3, i have come to the conclusion that is a problem on youtubes end or a line leading to them. ican watch netflix and hulu fine but the youtube app hangs every few seconds. ps3 youtube is run off a different hub than pc although both are seeing lag ,ps3 getting the worst due the new requirements of the new player code introduced a few weeks ago to close a security hole in flash and massive outages in the att network. all we can do is ope they fix it soon.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to vincom

Based on the patterns... I'm kinda wondering if the issue is somehow network congestion related because the issue seems to hit the more populated metropolitan areas, but not the small peanut sized (by comparison) ones.

Just a thought.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to abcjak

said by abcjak:

said by HKPolice:

Here try streaming this video right now @ 1080p:

(youtube clip)
getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.

still doesn't play for me at 1080. It will play at 720 but just barely keeps up with player atm.

on my 6mb dsl it takes the full bandwidth(+600kb) playing at 1080p, i little laggy/pausing , its barely keeping up, im on coloseum dsl btw

abcjak

join:2012-12-18
reply to HKPolice

said by HKPolice:

(youtube clip)
getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.

Expand your moderator at work

awaisuk

join:2008-10-05
reply to HKPolice

Still YouTube is lagging

linsook

join:2004-03-08
Canada
reply to HKPolice

still crap for me occasionally.

Expand your moderator at work

NorthYorkEd

join:2013-02-13
North York, ON
reply to MrMazda86

Things were much better today. Even on wireless devices there was no problem streaming YouTube or other sites.

Hope it stays this way!

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to HKPolice

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I've tried several times with the same result each time... It works beautifully like a charm.

My up speed is a little low compared to normal, but speed wise I seem to be fine other than that as well.

Perhaps someone at TSI may have an explanation for why this is? From the look of this thread, both cable and DSL users alike are having this issue, but I am unable to replicate this problem no matter how hard I try.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to HKPolice

said by HKPolice:

Welp it is now Tuesday night, the balancing fix should've been done yesterday.

Guess what? Still averaging 200-300KB/s off youtube. One more week of this and I'm switching to start.

Marc said on another thread, it won't be done until tomorrow now, cause they just installed the line today... they are going to try to cut over.

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to HKPolice

It's not just a POI congestion issue, it's either a connection issue between TSI & the caching servers or the servers themselves are overloaded. Some caching servers are ok even during peak hours, but MOST are not.

720p videos are less likely to get buffered obviously, but this affects all users including DSL, most people just don't notice it because they don't watch videos in HD since the default quality is still 480p.

I've lived through POI & node congestion issues before around mid 2011, but I had no choice because Rogers' prices & low caps made it unusable to me. Situation has changed now because there are aggregated POI ISPs out there offering higher speeds for about the same price as TSI. I've already tolerated this issue for months and obviously TSI isn't able to fix it, time to move.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9OsTctEaGI

I'm getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.

MrMazda86

Kitchener, ON
reply to HKPolice

I can understand everyone's frustration, but I'm running a few tests on my end and I'm unable to duplicate any kind of problem...

One example:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRvBWWkou8

This video in 720p seems to be streaming just fine. I'm on DSL 6 in Kitchener currently and having no issue. I think the problem you may be experiencing here may be that of a network congestion nature.

I'm honestly at a loss to explain why DSL users seem to be affected by this as well.

I know that a few of my friends here on Rogers have had some issue with YouTube at peak hours, but that seems to be an issue that is isolated to the particular POI that they're on and only rears its ugly head around peak hours... Welcome to cable!

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to HKPolice

Welp it is now Tuesday night, the balancing fix should've been done yesterday.

Guess what? Still averaging 200-300KB/s off youtube. One more week of this and I'm switching to start.

Misaow

join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to HKPolice

my speed last night, taken from my phone on my wifi, im on the 28/1 package.

»www.speedtest.net/android/367348805.png

I was 5 feet from the router with 98% signal, so should not be a wifi issue. Decided to tether from my phone for the rest of the night which was getting 3/1.5

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to HKPolice

It's not even night and I can barely watch 720p, forget friggin 1080p on youtube right now..

NorthYorkEd

@teksavvy.com
reply to HKPolice

For the past week or so YouTube has been all but unwatchable. Sometimes the buffer loads fine, sometimes it loads and gets stuck, and sometimes it doesn't load at all. Most of the time it just gets stuck or pauses for several minutes, no matter which settings or quality are used.

Hitting refresh a few times sometimes gets it to go, but most of the time we give up out of frustration.

Cable 18 package, Yonge and Sheppard area, tracert to YouTube going through yorkmills1 and yorkmills7.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to HKPolice

On 25/7 VDSL and YouTube is unwatchable right now.

Jshdkdo

@teksavvy.com
reply to Jaxom

I ve been with teksavvy for the past two years and never had a problem with youtube-until tonight. It takes 10mins to load a 2min video! 480p!!

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to stevey_frac

I am Cable 28 package getting my full download speed but tonight I can't stream 720p youtube videos without horrible pauses. Just YouTube giving me grief.

East York. York Mills POI.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to HKPolice

I had stuttery, crappy playback of 720p youtube video again tonight.

I'm pulling 30 mbit on speedtests.

It's not consistent though.

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to Optional

Same here... but even 720P/1080P videos load slowly during non-prime time.