All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to HKPolice

to HKPolice

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

Here's what I can confirm:

1) The issue appears on all sites, Windows 8, FF 18, Flash versions 11.5.502.133 to 146

2) The issue does not appear on any sites, Windows 7, FF 18, Flash version 11.3.300.257

When I tested the systems were connected to the same network, videos played one after the other, no other transfers going on, playing the same video (Iron Man 3 trailer, 1080p).

so... it's still not flash eh?
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice

Oh god, tonight is the worst of all. Probably because it's so cold in Toronto so everyone is staying home. I can't even stream 720p without buffering.

amindofiron
@comcast.net

amindofiron to HKPolice

Anon

to HKPolice
has anyone else noticed it mostly happening during peak (~5-~11 Pm) hours?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to HKPolice

Premium Member

to HKPolice
So far I've had no issues in Kitchener on my 28/1 TSI (Robbers) connection with 8x4 bonding using latest Google Chrome. All 1080p and 720p videos load up right away.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to FireHazard

Premium Member

to FireHazard
I tried watching your video but it just keeps buffering
FireHazard
join:2004-09-30
Mississauga, ON

FireHazard to HKPolice

to HKPolice
You can add me to the master list too.
It feels like i'm on dial-up when i'm watching HD videos on youtube.

28/1 Cable in Mississauga, no other issues, except for Youtube. Tried both Tek and Google DNS servers.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to vsavulian

to vsavulian
I went to go test just now with some of the videos posted on page 4 and I was getting those buffering errors.

Ran a speedtest though, and I was getting only 5Mbit/s down on 28/1. Released/Renewed my DHCP address (in the router GUI. Power cycling the router will the same result)

Playing 1080p videos just fine now without buffering. I doubt this will help many since it seems there's some POIs out there that are heavily congested. But worth a try.

vsavulian
Premium Member
join:2002-11-26
ON

vsavulian to The Mongoose

Premium Member

to The Mongoose
Same here. I've got an Extreme circuit on a 4x4 bonded SB6120 on the Richmond Hill POI. In the AM I can watch 1080p content without any issues while at night it's miserable.

This can't be blamed on node congestion as switching to my backup Rogers Express circuit solved the problem.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 edit

The Mongoose to tedrampart

to tedrampart
I'm now experiencing this issue as well. Getting 30/1 on speedtests, cannot stream YouTube at 720p.

Edit to add: Problem occurs using both Google DNS and TekSavvy DNS. No difference. Something is up.
tedrampart
join:2011-12-13
London, ON

1 edit

tedrampart to HKPolice

to HKPolice
woops double post..
tedrampart

tedrampart to HKPolice

to HKPolice
Just started noticing the buffering at home on my android youtube connected to wifi which is 28/1 tsi. I don't watch a lot of youtube other than on my mobile when someone sends me a link so I havent noticed til now. Last night I noticed a bunch of videos buffering in "HD" mode.. I'll check on my desktop to confirm that it's not the mobile causing it...just as soon as I muster up the energy to get out of bed

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
I'm on Shaw. Not TekSavvy. Just having the same problems as everyone else.

EssGee
join:2002-01-06
Toronto, ON
Hitron CGN3

EssGee to HKPolice

to HKPolice
Problems buffering those on 720p and 1080p (and many other titles on both 720/1080).

On Teksavvy DNS servers.

28/1 Cable, 8x4 Channel bonding.

Speedtest as of 2 minutes ago:

rodjames
Premium Member

rodjames to BrianON

Premium Member

to BrianON
Thanks!
rodjames

rodjames to HKPolice

Premium Member

to HKPolice
It's fine here in Petawawa. And if you have worse internet than I do, You should consider switching to another provider. I have 4/800 ISH with 99.99999999% occupancy and line noise up the yin-yank.

I spend every waking minute on youtube, uploading videos, watching subs, and I do full HD without difficulty. Mind you, I'm doing 4000 other things on the internet connection at the same time. But, I do not have the lag on the you tubes.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to HKPolice

to HKPolice
Can't even play 720p video at the moment - speed test gives me over 28Mbit down at the moment, so it's not my line.

Kanata, Fallowfield POI.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

I've just watched all of these, no buffering at all.

i'm not sure you're going about it the right way to troubleshoot this. if you're going to videos that have already been accessed by TSI users it will be cached by the time you go.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

2 edits

evil_gusgus to Nagilum

to Nagilum
said by Nagilum:

Do we need to utilize TSI's DNS servers to take advantage of the Google Caching server?

To use the TSI cache server yes you need to use TSI's DNS servers.

Youtube works fine at Fanshawe College, so it's not Flash or HTML5 that is the problem. Currently I can load a 1080p video on 3/512k faster than on my home connection thats 28/1.

Hopefully the amazing gabe and google can figure it out

EDIT: Some videos seem to be working now :s Still defaults to 360p though.

Nagilum
Premium Member
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

Nagilum to TSI Gabe

Premium Member

to TSI Gabe
Do we need to utilize TSI's DNS servers to take advantage of the Google Caching server?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Arcturus

to Arcturus
Here's a screenshot of what happens to me on a regular basis... altho usually it will actually buffer enough and start again, however it also just completely pauses and never resumes and doesn't get any data back until i reload the youtube video:

»cl.ly/image/3K2z1Y1Y2X1x

you can see the network graph (even as i write this it hasn't gotten any further). i will also get this at times if i try to use a youtube video download and download the mp4 file of a movie directly sometimes.
Arcturus
join:2008-04-18
London, ON

Arcturus to HKPolice

to HKPolice
You could also try switching your DNS, and see if that helps. In case it is a problem with the cache server.

P.S. I love watching SC2 but wow that announcer hurts my ears.
(the example videos posted)
Pampers
join:2013-01-18

Pampers to AOD

to AOD
I am currently on Bell DSL 6mbit in Mississauga and can confirm there were issues last night watching videos. So it's not just TSI (I'm guessing).

I used to upload videos to Youtube and had channel with 100's of videos. When I uploaded an H264 Sony codec, it would buffer very slow.

When I uploaded WMV, it would buffer very quick. Same settings, same quality.

I think the truth is, none of us really know what the issue is. For this particular task of streaming video it could be so many things.

I have a *hunch*, it's the buffering is the 'QoS' that Youtube has been trying to implement the past year. Youtube no longer buffers the whole video likely to save costs.

There's also codec issues that also seem likely. This stuff is 'ever changing'.

Last night I tried to view a video that would not stream in 480p. Then I could go to another HD vid and it would play fine.

Also, I'm sure many of us have reloaded the videos and then kaboom it buffers quick. Again, this could be a Youtube buffering/logic error in the player.

I should note that last night I tried to play videos in IE, Firefox, HTML 5, Shockwave etc. - Nothing worked. Both were the same in the same player.

The last think I have not tried is playing with video card settings or 'software' rendering. Who knows the player could be 'guessing' what is happening on our end and incorrectly requesting more data to be sent through... that would be a logic error on Youtube's part. And it could be this is the core problem.

Also, I should note that on my iPad 2 which I have *NOT* updated the OS, I can stream everything fine. No stopping. It's my PC that is bad and having issues.

People who are 'Youtube heads' like me will likely notice 'more' problems than the casual YouTube user. It could also be that.

But given the evidence, I'm not sure there is a problem with TSI in specific. However.. I will say that it couldn't surprise me if this was another 'Canadian only' problem if you know what I mean...

And I have a hunch it's the latter that will just have to 'wait out' until things get better in a couple of years.

Again I'm on Bell DSL and also having issues.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Nemo888

Premium Member

to Nemo888
I will have someone PM you shortly to gather some details.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to HKPolice

to HKPolice
720p Youtube is crapping out. It's been spinning for 3 mintues. Even while I did this speed test.

Ottawa West near Ikea.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD to TSI Phil

Premium Member

to TSI Phil
said by TSI Phil:

Hey Guspaz I've added you to the list, I already have your details.

With the videos above, i also have issues streaming them in 1080p
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to rodjames

to rodjames
said by rodjames:

I thought YT was all HTML5 now, that's why Google dropped Flash from Android?

There is a codec war for HTML5 video between H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (proprietary) and Theora/WebM (free). Some browsers support one but not the other with only a few supporting both.

rodjames
Premium Member

rodjames to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
I thought YT was all HTML5 now, that's why Google dropped Flash from Android?

TSI Phil
TSI PhilR
Premium Member
join:2009-01-26
Chatham, ON

TSI Phil to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Hey Guspaz I've added you to the list, I already have your details.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Guspaz

to Guspaz
i've seen no improvement since the last "fix" a few days ago too, youtube 1080ps will buffer and sometimes still timeout.

i think i'm seeing it more on obscure/non popular videos, if you're doing any testing at TSI i would make sure not to keep reloading the same video or popular videos.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to HKPolice

MVM

to HKPolice
I was unable to watch 1080p videos on youtube tonight, kept buffering. I had to drop it down to 720p.