Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1

Need emergency Internet options (for 10+ days)

Due to circumstances, I will be staying at a house for 10 days which has NO Internet services whatsoever (or TV for that matter, argh), just a POTS telephone landline.

The thing is, I absolutely need an Internet connection of sorts for at least the basics...e-mail, online banking, etc. And I don't have a smartphone! Just wondering what options people here can recommend for those 10+ days...

Dial-up? Wireless service? WIFI?

-I was thinking maybe a USB or PCMCIA plug in card through Telus or another carrier, but not sure what the initial setup cost is. Or if it's even reasonable looking into for jus a week or two.

-No unsecure WIFI signals in the area, and I don't know any of the neighbors to ask about sharing.

-Dial-up might be an option. I found a bunch on freedomlist.com but which one is the most reliable and inexpensive? Don't even really want to consider dial-up, but hey, if you're desperate, might be my only viable choice.

Hah, any chance Bell still offers dial-up with their DSL packages? I have a family member with 'Internet Essentials', maybe I could use that with their B1xxx number and password?

Anything else someone here can think of would be great.

join:2012-12-24
If any of those Wifi around you are Wep you can get those keys in about 30 seconds with Backtrack. :-p

join:2012-12-24
reply to IIgs
said by IIgs:

Due to circumstances, I will be staying at a house for 10 days which has NO Internet services whatsoever (or TV for that matter, argh), just a POTS telephone landline.

The thing is, I absolutely need an Internet connection of sorts for at least the basics...e-mail, online banking, etc. And I don't have a smartphone! Just wondering what options people here can recommend for those 10+ days...

Dial-up? Wireless service? WIFI?

-I was thinking maybe a USB or PCMCIA plug in card through Telus or another carrier, but not sure what the initial setup cost is. Or if it's even reasonable looking into for jus a week or two.

-No unsecure WIFI signals in the area, and I don't know any of the neighbors to ask about sharing.

-Dial-up might be an option. I found a bunch on freedomlist.com but which one is the most reliable and inexpensive? Don't even really want to consider dial-up, but hey, if you're desperate, might be my only viable choice.

Hah, any chance Bell still offers dial-up with their DSL packages? I have a family member with 'Internet Essentials', maybe I could use that with their B1xxx number and password?

Anything else someone here can think of would be great.

If you really need dialup »295.ca/

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to IIgs
said by IIgs:

Due to circumstances, I will be staying at a house for 10 days which has NO Internet services whatsoever (or TV for that matter, argh), just a POTS telephone landline....

And OIL LAMPS ?

Inexplicably , a cause other than simple rusticity came to MY mind as the perceived and anticipated reason for your question.

I take it that otherwise, things are OK ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

noemails

@bell.ca
public library, mcdoanlds tims almost any coffee shop has free wifi, the apple store near my place has about 3 dozen ipads setup for free use, internet cafe.....get creative

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to IIgs
Starbucks.

iPadDataPlan

@distributel.net
reply to IIgs
said by IIgs:

1) Go to big store BestBuy, FutureShop, or Staples and buy iPad LTE...

2) Get $5 Flex data plan or prepaid iPad data plan.
Virgin Mobile SIM card is free, other providers you might get free sim card from Apple Store.

You can use your iPad LTE data and turn on the Personal Hotspot. Now, your iPad become a WIFI router for any other device to connect to and use the internet from your iPad LTE...

3) After 10 days, cancel data plan and return the iPad.

Probably cost you $35 for 5GB data plan.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to IIgs
said by IIgs:

Oh, the pain of it all! Welcome to the reality of many in Canada.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
said by DKS:

How does that help or answer the OP's question at all? He didn't ask what the reality was for "many in Canada".

Anyway, yes Bell does offer dial up still included with highspeed. Alternatively barring using WIFI (as previously mentioned) at Starbucks or wherever, you could purchase a data stick from your cell carrier of choice as well.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Starbucks.

With the prices there, that's pretty expensive wifi.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by MichelR:

said by donoreo:

Starbucks.

People buy stuff there?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by donoreo:

said by MichelR:

said by donoreo:

Starbucks.

People buy stuff there?

all you need is a cup, retrieve one from the garbage when no one is looking.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to zed173
said by zed173:

said by DKS:

How does that help or answer the OP's question at all? He didn't ask what the reality was for "many in Canada".

Anyway, yes Bell does offer dial up still included with highspeed. Alternatively barring using WIFI (as previously mentioned) at Starbucks or wherever, you could purchase a data stick from your cell carrier of choice as well.

sorry, zero sympathy for those who take high speed internet access for granted, unlike those of us who are in rural areas and who may or may not have high speed access at all.

Bell allows 10 hours of dialup access per month for their high speed users. See here for more.

Bell's dialup POP numbers here.

BTW, both Bell and Rogers allow full returns of data sticks within ten days, but only if you can't get service. Lots of places around Ontario and Quebec are like that. In one case, outside of Mont Laurier, in Quebec, there is no high speed service whatsoever. Telebec will not put it in. The municipality finally put in a WAP at the local church and people bring their laptops to the church parking lot. In the other, in Ontario, I am fighting with TELUS, who swear I can get service, but I have proof I can't.

BTW, Starbucks are also not universal, either. My nearest one is more than an hour away. Tim Horton's has wireless, but it is very slow. So does McDonald's, but likewise, very, very slow.

And unless a laptop has a dialup moden, a USB modem will run $25.
--

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
Pretty sure no one was asking for your sympathy. I'm sure most of us are aware rural areas don't always have high speed (where my mom lives she didn't until last year). That being said, I fail to see what got your panties in a bunch over some guy asking how to temporarily get some form of Internet access at all (note he did ask for dial up OR highspeed).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by zed173:

Pretty sure no one was asking for your sympathy. I'm sure most of us are aware rural areas don't always have high speed (where my mom lives she didn't until last year). That being said, I fail to see what got your panties in a bunch over some guy asking how to temporarily get some form of Internet access at all (note he did ask for dial up OR highspeed).

No one absolutely needs internet for ten days. Internet is a convenience, not a mandatory service. Sorry you and the OP don't get that.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by DKS:

said by zed173:

No one absolutely needs internet for ten days. Internet is a convenience, not a mandatory service. Sorry you and the OP don't get that.

Lots of people see it as "needed". Tell a teen they will not have the internet for 10 days! End of the world!
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

all you need is a cup, retrieve one from the garbage when no one is looking.

I'm just too honest to do something like that.

an0nym0us

@acanac.net
reply to donoreo

Lots of people see it as "needed". Tell a teen they will not have the internet for 10 days! End of the world!

Some _adults_ said the world would end on december 21 2012, and we are still here arguing.
You might kill two birds with one stone if you go talk to your neighbours.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to IIgs
295.ca is the cheapest you'll find for dialup. Some cell carriers have USB sticks as low as $75, but the two that come to mind are Fido (which no longer offers that model, only a $200 LTE hotspot), and Videotron (who probably doesn't service the area you're visiting).

If you just need basic use, dialup is probably your most affordable bet.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Just because people (including teens) see it that way doesn't mean that it is reality.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

If you just need basic use, dialup is probably your most affordable bet.

Also check to see if the provider (Bell does) offers accelerator software. I find it helpful.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

Just because people (including teens) see it that way doesn't mean that it is reality.

Reality is perception. They see it that way. Yes, of course they are idiots, but that is beside the point
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·Cooptel
reply to IIgs
+1 for backtrack 5

starbucks/van houte coffee place could be an option too

In my opinion the most budget friendly would be a 30-50 hour of dial-up ( i think its like 7.95 $ from my local provider, i dont know its the same price everywhere)

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
reply to IIgs
It would help if you said what part of the country you'll be in - that affects your options greatly.

If you're in WIND territory, you can get their USB 3G modem for $39 and then if 1GB is enough, their $15/month plan. It looks like they'll let you do pre-paid on those plans, so you can avoid getting automatically billed for a second month, but you'll still need to cancel the service when you're done.

If you're out in the boonies, chances are you don't get service from WIND.

Telus, Virgin, Fido have "Flex" data plans that start out at $5-10 dollars and would be good if your usage is relatively light. The main cost with them would be the price of the USB stick or the 3G WiFi hotspot device.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

You avatar matched you post.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to IIgs
Apparently, Virgin Mobile is offering 5$ unlimited data for 2 months, with a free 50$ giftcard

»forums.redflagdeals.com/virgin-m···1239029/

You can borrow a spare cheapo smartphone from my house that you can use to tether with

I'll just hold your internet reputation on DSLreports as ransom should you fail to return it to me.

Don't use bell dialup, I don't think they include free hours on the basic packs.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to IIgs
I do emergency service for my customers here in Toronto. Not going to do you much good though

That Virgin Mobile plan looks very interesting. $5/month (but $35 for the month you really use it) backup internet package is a must have for any home based business. At least any home based business that doesn't have full redundancy.

Wind offers an emergency backup plan as well. $5/day when you use it. I think they require a $40 top up every 180 days whether you use it or not though. Hmm.. Wind is a little cheaper.

Virgin is Bell? No doubt their network is faster than Wind..
--
electronicsguru.ca

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

You can borrow a spare cheapo smartphone from my house that you can use to tether with

Tethering allowed? Bell/Virgin has usurious rates if they find you tethering. $15/mb was in my old contract.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

You avatar matched you post.

Always does.
--

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to IIgs
You didn't exactly say where you'll holed up? If you are on the outskirts of a city you *might* be in a wind mobile zone. They give you 14 days to try out the mobile internet device and if you are unhappy you can return the device and only pay for the plan you used. Although you can get a device for $50 so if this may occur again it might be worth just keeing the device and reactivating it when needed.

Dial-up might just be easier depending on how portable you want your connection.