Search similar:

uniqs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: Need emergency Internet options (for 10+ days)

said by Guspaz:

If you just need basic use, dialup is probably your most affordable bet.

Also check to see if the provider (Bell does) offers accelerator software. I find it helpful.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

Lots of people see it as "needed". Tell a teen they will not have the internet for 10 days! End of the world!

Just because people (including teens) see it that way doesn't mean that it is reality.

Reality is perception. They see it that way. Yes, of course they are idiots, but that is beside the point
maxboha
join:2012-05-12

maxboha to IIgs

to IIgs
+1 for backtrack 5

starbucks/van houte coffee place could be an option too

In my opinion the most budget friendly would be a 30-50 hour of dial-up ( i think its like 7.95 $ from my local provider, i dont know its the same price everywhere)

rosenqui
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

rosenqui to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
It would help if you said what part of the country you'll be in - that affects your options greatly.

If you're in WIND territory, you can get their USB 3G modem for $39 and then if 1GB is enough, their $15/month plan. It looks like they'll let you do pre-paid on those plans, so you can avoid getting automatically billed for a second month, but you'll still need to cancel the service when you're done.

If you're out in the boonies, chances are you don't get service from WIND.

Telus, Virgin, Fido have "Flex" data plans that start out at $5-10 dollars and would be good if your usage is relatively light. The main cost with them would be the price of the USB stick or the 3G WiFi hotspot device.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

Lots of people see it as "needed". Tell a teen they will not have the internet for 10 days! End of the world!

Just because people (including teens) see it that way doesn't mean that it is reality.

You avatar matched you post.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to IIgs

to IIgs
Apparently, Virgin Mobile is offering 5$ unlimited data for 2 months, with a free 50$ giftcard

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1239029/

You can borrow a spare cheapo smartphone from my house that you can use to tether with

I'll just hold your internet reputation on DSLreports as ransom should you fail to return it to me.

Don't use bell dialup, I don't think they include free hours on the basic packs.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
I do emergency service for my customers here in Toronto. Not going to do you much good though

That Virgin Mobile plan looks very interesting. $5/month (but $35 for the month you really use it) backup internet package is a must have for any home based business. At least any home based business that doesn't have full redundancy.

Wind offers an emergency backup plan as well. $5/day when you use it. I think they require a $40 top up every 180 days whether you use it or not though. Hmm.. Wind is a little cheaper.

Virgin is Bell? No doubt their network is faster than Wind..

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

You can borrow a spare cheapo smartphone from my house that you can use to tether with

Tethering allowed? Bell/Virgin has usurious rates if they find you tethering. $15/mb was in my old contract.
DKS

DKS to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by DKS:

said by donoreo:

You avatar matched you post.

Always does.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
You didn't exactly say where you'll holed up? If you are on the outskirts of a city you *might* be in a wind mobile zone. They give you 14 days to try out the mobile internet device and if you are unhappy you can return the device and only pay for the plan you used. Although you can get a device for $50 so if this may occur again it might be worth just keeing the device and reactivating it when needed.

Dial-up might just be easier depending on how portable you want your connection.
Cloneman
Montreal

Cloneman to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

Tethering allowed? Bell/Virgin has usurious rates if they find you tethering. $15/mb was in my old contract.

it's a tablet plan. That's not supposed to tie you down to any specific device - how useless would that be?

Anyway, afaik, there's no such thing as tethering overages unless you're on some weird grandfathered unlimited plan.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

julienvf to IIgs

to IIgs
Maybe ask your neighbor for his wifi password? Offer him a nice wine bottle or a few bucks..

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Cloneman

to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

said by DKS:

it's a tablet plan. That's not supposed to tie you down to any specific device - how useless would that be?

Anyway, afaik, there's no such thing as tethering overages unless you're on some weird grandfathered unlimited plan.

It's not an overage but a flat penalty. Use data on tether on some plans and you pay through a bodily orifice. Ask.
Cloneman
Montreal

Cloneman

I've never heard of anyone (recently) paying extra for tethering, unless they are using the wrong APN, tethering was explicitly blocked, or they had some unlimited plan that excluded tethering.

In any case, the practice is absolutely ridiculous and the carrier would most likely lose a grievance for it. You're already paying crazy data rates, why they would stop you from accumulating 10$/gb or more on your own dime with crazy overage... just doesn't make sense.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to DKS

Anon

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by zed173:

Pretty sure no one was asking for your sympathy. I'm sure most of us are aware rural areas don't always have high speed (where my mom lives she didn't until last year). That being said, I fail to see what got your panties in a bunch over some guy asking how to temporarily get some form of Internet access at all (note he did ask for dial up OR highspeed).

No one absolutely needs internet for ten days. Internet is a convenience, not a mandatory service. Sorry you and the OP don't get that.

I strongly disagree. Some form of basic internet connectivity is pretty much a requirement these days for any sort of government or corporate information and even tight asses like Ontario Works or ODSP won't look twice these days at a $50 a month internet bill in a financial audit.

Perhaps 15 years ago it was less common and somewhat frivolous but in today's world, being without a net connection is the equivalent of being without basic phone service.
lugnut

lugnut to IIgs

Anon

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

The thing is, I absolutely need an Internet connection of sorts for at least the basics...e-mail, online banking, etc. And I don't have a smartphone! Just wondering what options people here can recommend for those 10+ days...

Dial-up? Wireless service? WIFI?

If you can get by with dialup (ie. you still own a POTS modem and all you need is checking email) then 295.ca is probably your best bet.

»295.ca/

$2.95 per month gets you unlimited dialup usable almost anywhere in Canada.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
When I need quick service I just called up Rogers and I was able to get service in about 30 minutes after order. You might be able to do the same with Videotron.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to IIgs

to IIgs
How far are you from Trudeau Airport? »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/m ··· ifi.html
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker to IIgs

to IIgs
If you're in Rogers Cell territory, get unlimited browsing from Petro Canada or 7/11 for $10/month

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Walter Dnes

MVM

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

How far are you from Trudeau Airport? »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/m ··· ifi.html

There's barely coverage INSIDE the terminal, and zero coverage on the runway, what makes you think anybody outside the airport could even sniff the SSID?