spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ragingwolf

join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON
reply to HKPolice

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

Its most likely your last mile connection. Have you done multiple speedtests during this time?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by ragingwolf:

Its most likely your last mile connection. Have you done multiple speedtests during this time?

That's not necessarily true. The Google cache servers located on TSI's network have been found to have performance issues at least 2 times, maybe more and I've never seen a response in the respective threads indicating actual resolution of the issues.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

Same here and I have no last-mile/Rogers segment congestion issue. 1080p can't be played without letting it buffer quite a bit or pausing it during peak.

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

1 recommendation

Google just finished the last few config bits of an upgraded caching node, it should be up within the next week.

Etobicoke, ON

said by TSI Gabe:

Google just finished the last few config bits of an upgraded caching node, it should be up within the next week.

Good to hear that. Hopefully that will resolve most if not all of the YouTube related issues for quite some time.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by 34764170:

said by TSI Gabe:

Good to hear that. Hopefully that will resolve most if not all of the YouTube related issues for quite some time.

How long is quite some time? I've never had this issue before...Until this week, so I'm glad this thread came up. I'm in Ottawa West btw and I'll be checking next week I guess...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Etobicoke, ON

said by d4m1r:

How long is quite some time? I've never had this issue before...Until this week, so I'm glad this thread came up. I'm in Ottawa West btw and I'll be checking next week I guess...

Then you're lucky. Lots of people complain about the poor performance with YouTube and not being able to be fed the content fast enough to ensure smooth playback which meant users had to buffer quite a bit of the video before hitting play otherwise it would stop / be choppy during playback. There was a thread where someone had looked into the issue a bit closer and found when hitting a YouTube node on Google's network the performance was fine but when it hit the local cache there was a huge drop in the speed with which the content was being streamed. Possibly the cache was maxed out for capacity?

I would hope at least a year before having to do any upgrades if not longer.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

Same here and I have no last-mile/Rogers segment congestion issue. 1080p can't be played without letting it buffer quite a bit or pausing it during peak.

Bookmarking because my kid (he's 10) is gripping about youtube, he needs to know he's not the only one, and it's NOT THE LAPTOP!
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

NOTORIOUS VR

join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

said by 34764170:

said by TSI Gabe:

I've had issues with Youtube ever since switching to Teksavvy from Rogers... Of course Teksavvy has always said it's not their problem. I've just come to deal with it now.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

said by NOTORIOUS VR:

I've had issues with Youtube ever since switching to Teksavvy from Rogers... Of course Teksavvy has always said it's not their problem. I've just come to deal with it now.

Just to add a little more info for everyone. The issues with Youtube is occuring over here in AB with Shaw and Telus. Both my neighbours on either side of me are having the issues, yet I'm not. Although I have DHCP/DNS being handed out via a DC, nothing else is different besides I'm on a Biz line instead of a residential. I also have two static's assigned to the account. As far as DNS, my forwarders in the DC are set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 only and have been for 2+ years. I haven't seen one issue at all, yet the two right beside me can't play Youtube to save their life.