uniqs
share rss forum feed

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

[Speed Issues] slow speed + reboots every night in Rosemead, Los

Click for full size
slow speed + reboots every night in Rosemead, Los Angeles CA

For the past two months, i've been getting slow speeds and T4 timeouts around 7pm till sometime past midnight. Speeds drop to below 1mbps on the downstream, but usually upstream stays around 2-3mbps.

I've had three techs out already this past two months. One of them said theres noise in the plant, and supposedly fixed it. Another one said i have, low signal, and said they would tweak it out in the plant. The third one said I have low upstream power levels.

I don't really believe any of those are the cause for my slow speed. I'm pretty certain its an overloaded node, is it not? I don't even know how to get them to get this fixed right instead of telling me random things.

sovereignty6

join:2013-01-08
West Covina, CA

Re: [Speed Issues] slow speed + reboots every night in Rosemead,

I'm certain its overloaded node. From noon to sometimes around 4pm, I was getting 100Mb, in fact it was 103Mbps according to speedtest.charter.com. After 5pm, baam, down to 2 to 6Mbps.

flareneko

join:2009-12-01
Rosemead, CA
reply to jchl89
I'm also in Rosemead and having the speed issues at 7 P.M to 1 A.M every night. No reboots though.

naive1016

join:2011-04-03
I am also in Rosemead and am getting slow speeds those exact times. From 7 to 12. I get some disconnects to but am not sure if it's my modem or router. I am getting tired of this lag and want to look for other providers but all we get is ATT or Charter. Is the only way to contact charter is to call them now?

jchl89

Rosemead, CA
I have tried to call them so many times about it. They never actualyl fix it. They come and say on lets take a look at your line, and it looks fine. They never actually admit that the node is overloaded, which is what im pretty sure the problem is.

I don't know how to have to escalated, because i'm tired of having a charter truck come to my house every time I call, and i have to take time off work just to have them do pretty much nothing.

Perhaps naive1016, you can call in too. Hopefully with enough DIFFERENT customers calling within the same area about similar issues, they will realize. What is the general area in Rosemead you are in? (cross streets)

jchl89

Rosemead, CA
reply to flareneko
what general area (cross streets) are flareneko and naive1016 in?

flareneko

Rosemead, CA
Garvey.

I just called Charter back for a follow up with the problem I was talking to CharterSteve with, before the shutdown of Direct. They told me that the node is probably congested and that they're going to send out a dispatch soon and should get back to me within 3-5 business days. Hopefully, this leads to solving the problem soon.

naive1016

join:2011-04-03
I'm on Emerson.
I have been on live chat and they tell me my signals are good and there shouldn't be a problem. I did this a few times and all they did was restart the signals. I wanted to get a tech come but they said I would be charged if they didn't find anything. I didn't do it though because the slow speeds only happen at night.

flareneko

Rosemead, CA
I think it may have been fixed now. I didn't experience a slowdown tonight and speeds looked normal all night. Will know for sure if the same occurs tomorrow.

flareneko

Rosemead, CA
Update: Disregard the previous post. The problem still persists but some charter techs made a visit tonight while the slowdown occurred. They're aware of the problem now and are deciding whether to split the node or use some new technology.

I'm not too sure what all of this means but they noted something about how normally the node should be around 30% of something but it's at 106%. Can't remember exactly what it was but those were the numbers they told me.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

jchl89

Rosemead, CA
reply to jchl89
it was "OK" for a while, not great. but its horrible as of right now. im around del mar and graves

jchl89

Rosemead, CA
problem is back.. its horrible. my non-charter voip service has so much jitter that speech is incomprehensible. pings to gateway are horrible.

Ping time and packet loss graph to charter's gateway(71.84.254.1) n the past 8 hours.

Ping time and packet loss graph to charter's gateway(71.84.254.1) in the past year.

calc1

join:2009-02-19
Rosemead, CA
reply to jchl89
I started my own thread before i saw this one..
»[Speed Issues] Nightly slow speeds...

I'm also in the rosemead area... doesn't seem like the issue has been resolved. Glad to know i'm not going crazy, service totally blows.

jhwee

join:2007-09-12
Monterey Park, CA
yep, there's also this thread »[High Ping] 91755 area from 2011...

Filed a BBB claim in regards to that back then and they fixed the problem pretty fast... but it only lasted 2 weeks. Problem came back like in December 2011/Jan 2012 and has been like this ever since. I've received numerous credits, I'm not sure if you guys have been talking to (the now defunct) Charter support on Twitter. I've been in contact with some project manager too that's in charge of the node decongestion

flareneko

Rosemead, CA
Yep, it's pretty bad right now.

Did you receive credits from charter phone support or the twitter?

jhwee

join:2007-09-12
Monterey Park, CA
Twitter mostly. I rarely called phone support when they were available here and on Twitter.

Right now I'm just emailing the project manager directly

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

1 edit
I know I am a considerable distance from your area in California but we are experiencing the same issues here in Southern Oregon. This has been going on for well over 3-4 months for us. My speeds are amazing up until around 6 PM then they drop to almost unusable speeds until almost midnight. I have notified Charter and they check my connections to the modem and say all is well. My signal and power levels are well within the norm for the modem too. It seems like this is a growing issue all along the west coast. It really sucks because when I want to use my internet connection to stream movies at night it is basically crippled. I hope they find some resolution to this problem very soon. As others have mentioned at the very least DSL is more stable. I will take stability over speed any day.

Here is a snapshot of my speeds as of 5:00 PM Pacific time.
»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2021254211.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
Click for full size
Yup its a known issue. I don't know what these cats are doing. Maybe planning for a major upgrade? It usually takes 2-3 months to sort it out with them. Its extremely terrible between 7-9pm. Literally 2-4mb on the download side. Not sure what Charter done. But, I have never had this much of a problem lasting longer then usual. Pings and upload is always fine and acceptable. Only the download is bad.

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA
reply to jchl89
wow that sucks, lowest ive got during peak is around 60-70. I never really hit 100mbit in the evening mostly 80s.

upstream QoS enabled

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
I never could hit 100/5 when I subscribed to that package. I find that my burst rates on 30/4 are much better than I could achieve on the 100/5 package. Once they jacked the prices to over $100 per month I decided it was not worth paying that price for a service that couldn't even achieve 80% of advertised speeds on a good day. If you are willing to shell out over $100 a month for a service that can't even come close to 30% during peak use it isn't worth the price.