spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JSmith67744

join:2013-01-04

Really strange problem with service lately.

Hello, I've been using Millienicom for a few years now and have had ups and downs with them, from a slew of bad Franklin modems to tower failures. All and all I've been fairly happy with them, even having been through the tech support mambo multiple times.

However the last few weeks I've run into a new problem altogether and the people over at MCom support don't seem to have any idea on what could be wrong or how to help -- we've sent up support tickets, reset everything we could think to reset and yet the problem keeps persisting.

The problem: Anything I load on port 80 (standard HTTP) is slow, like 20kb/s slow, compared to my average of 100-120kb/s on downloads. At first I hadn't narrowed the problem down to port 80 and just thought all HTTP downloads were doing it. However things like Torrents and Steam game downloads didn't seem to be affected at all.

The other day I was directed to »www.thinkbroadband.com/download/ which gives you the ability to test your speed on larger downloads using multiple ports and both IPv4 and IPv6, in testing these files I found that downloading them from port 81 or port 8080 was resulting in speeds I was used to seeing, and port 80 was giving me the low speeds I had been getting.

After further testing to make sure it wasn't just the server under load (I figured it wasn't since the download speeds on port 80 are nearly identical from every website I visit) using other servers on various ports I concluded it was localized to port 80 and port 80 alone.

I've tried different computers, both on and off my Cradlepoint, and even on Linux but the results are always the same.

An interesting thing to note is that after I do the tech support thing and we reset and ##RTN the modem the speeds on port 80 return to somewhat normal ranges, albeit still slightly slower than other ports, but I just counted that up to people using port 80 for their tests more than the other ports bogging things down a little. After a few hours the problem returns and I have to go through the whole process again, sometimes it doesn't work either.

The latest tech support person I talked to had me go through quite a few steps (that I had gone through before) before pretty much telling me 'there's absolutely nothing we can do for you' after telling me I could try another device and then telling me in the next sentence the modem I bought from Millenicom was no longer under warranty; I'm definitely not going to pay another $100 for another modem while I'm still paying $70 a month for service.

I'm using the Sierra 598U, bought from Millenicom. I'm pretty sure it's not a modem issue but some kind of issue somewhere in Sprint's network, perhaps a failed proxy or something of that nature.

Just wondering if anybody here has any ideas or insight? I'm out of ideas and the people at Millenicom have pretty much told me I'm out of luck on their end. Should I just call Sprint and see if someone with some actual knowledge of the network can help me, or try to find a more helpful MCom tech?

Any help would be appreciated, having to resort to download managers and FTP downloads to get anything downloaded has become tedious at best and it doesn't work for various things.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by JSmith67744:

I'm using the Sierra 598U, bought from Millenicom. I'm pretty sure it's not a modem issue but some kind of issue somewhere in Sprint's network, perhaps a failed proxy or something of that nature.

Sounds like a failed/failing web cache to me.

Just fire up a VPN, you will bypass all of sprints cache and proxy engines.

WiTopia is cheap (»www.witopia.net/) if you don't already have a VPN provider... and they have a 30 day money back... and monthly plan.

JSmith67744

join:2013-01-04
reply to JSmith67744
Unfortunately it's already a challenge enough to pay for the internet each month so I don't see myself being able to pay for a VPN, there's also a problem with various applications I use denying access to VPN systems due to people abusing them to bypass various security guards.

Think I should just call Sprint since MCom can't really do much about it?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by JSmith67744:

Think I should just call Sprint since MCom can't really do much about it?

I would escalate via mcom.

If it makes you feel any better contacting sprint as a sprint customer would get about the same response.

If you know people with sprint devices (smartphones, mobile broadband) I would see if their devices also do it... and then have them also report it to sprint (it sounds like mcom has).

It appears that they weigh problem reports by the number of people reporting them... so if an access point gets messed up in LA it will get fixed in hours, but out in the sticks... well I have seen it take more than a year (sad but true).