All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

EnigmaMac
join:2010-05-30
Calgary, AB

EnigmaMac

[AB] Just Got TELUS Bundled Optik TV, 25 Turbo. Some questions..

Okay, so I am a big apple fan. And we have a few iPhone's in the house, as well as the current iMac I am using. We were previously with Shaw for Cable, Telus for phone, and Nucleus (TELUS Reseller) for Internet. Our Internet with Nucleus maxed out at 690KB/sec downstream though (But we only had their 6Mbps package.) And I am very close to the DSLAM here.
Now with TELUS Turbo 25Mbps, I downloaded a torrent at 1.4MB/sec.. that was the first time I've ever seen that speed!

Anyway, had the installer come over today, I am in NW Calgary BTW. Not even a full block from the DSLAM here. Anyways, he brought the Actiontech Router/Modem, and installed the 3 boxes, although we are short 1 box, but i phoned the 310-MYTV because the tech never gave us our email addresses, or even our main login information to login to the account to make changes, etc. And I also don't understand why my iPhone5 will not connect to the ActionTech wireless router.

Now, what the tech did, was hooked up the ActionTech to my Apple Airport Extreme Router. But from the Wireless selection, I have to use their TELUS**** whatever to connect to the Internet on my iMac. They have really good encrypted passwords. But, is there a way to still be able to use my Apple Airport as a Router? Because I can't even connect my printer to the router. I can LOGIN to the router, the tech gave me the login/pass for all that. So I can LOGIN to my router, and I know what my Router password is, but everytime I try to connect my iPhone to the Router, it says "Unable to Join." Is there a firewall on these Router, defaulted only to allow one MAC Address or device to connect at a time, or what do I have to change? I wonder if I reboot my computer, and try to login to Airport. Because I can still connect to my Apple Airport Router, just when I do, the Internet doesn't work at all. (Even though its connected to the ActionTeck (Modem/Router)).

But, there were a few errors in the TV package we got, some channels are missing that we should have, etc. And a CS Rep on the phone was not very helpful at all, and said he couldn't do anything or even give me my login information until 24-48 hours goes by, until the account "drops" he said. But he couldn't even help me setup the main login information so I can create email addresses, etc. You can do that with TELUS right? Like with the admin account (which is me), but I don't even know what my TELUS email login or password is.. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait to find out how this all works.

I also have a question.. on TELUS you cannot get the Spokane channels, like you can on Shaw, is it all routed to Seattle instead of Spokane? Thats about the only thing I miss about Shaw.. was the Spokane channels, and KAYU FOX. Just because I used to go down to Spokane every summer.

My apologies for the long post. But if there are any TELUS Techs out there that could give me a hand, or any other Telus savvy people out there, that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again.

Bauwoo
join:2003-12-07

Bauwoo

Re: [AB] Just Got TELUS Bundled Optik TV, 25 Turbo. Some questio

iPhone 5 or iOS 6.0.0? iOS 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 are supposed to fix wireless issues with the iPhone 5 if you have that model.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech to EnigmaMac

to EnigmaMac
What it means when the order hasn't dropped is that it got stuck for some reason and takes time to clear. It's a pain to deal with on our end and simply inconveniences our customers. Nothing can be updated before the order is completes. Once it finally does complete, fixing the missing channels and email addresses etc should be quite easy.

As for downloading, if you are hardwired your speed should exceed 1.4MB/s if everything works right. I'm on Optik 15 and can pull 1.7MB/s on my Mac when hardwired and I'm 5 blocks from my DSLAM.
Mindman
join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC

Mindman

im a bit further from my DSLAM i think and i pull 1.7-1.9, if i download on EA origin its about 2.4MB/s

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to EnigmaMac

Premium Member

to EnigmaMac
Be smart, don't use ISP email.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC

Gardener

Premium Member

Best to use third-party email or a forwarding service. Otherwise, it's a nuisance switching ISPs should the need arise.

EnigmaMac
Calgary, AB

EnigmaMac

Thanks for the answers folks, appreciate it.

I know its a pain in the ass using ISP emails. But I was never even provided our login email address, or password.

I need the login email address/password to use the Optik Smart Remote App on my iPhone 5.

And to answer the other question, yes is IOS 6.1 or something, the latest one that's out.

Now for some reason, even using the same router password that is a bunch of a letters & numbers, I cannot login to the TELUS Actiontech Router/Modem with my iPhone. When we had Nucleus before, we only had their 6Mbps package, and was using the Apple Airport Router, and it worked fine with all devices, (printer, iPhones, etc.) I cannot even connect my printer to the TELUS Actiontec Router/Modem. Do I have to unlock some ports or something?

Sorry, I am not up to date fully with BroadBand these days... as we are not a fan of Shaw at all, because of their high prices, and our Internet is way faster with VDSL now. I am in a bad area of the City of Calgary where Shaw is not that good in our neighbourhood.

Anyways, is there a way I can use my Apple Airport as the router? The tech that was here didn't know anything about Macs really, he just gave me the information to connect to the router, and the default username/password. He also connected the Actiontec Modem/Router to our Apple Airport. Now, I can connect to the Apple Airport Router with the iPhones we have, and our main printer, etc.. all connects to Apple Airport fine.

I do not even know what our account holders email address is. I am the one who signed the contract, but I was never provided with an admin email address to login on the TELUS website, to make changes, view billing, etc. And can't you add other email addresses once you login on the TELUS page as well? That's how it was with Nucleus.

Don't get me wrong here, the Internet is smoking fast.. we just don't have any login details other than to connect to the Router.

When I phoned 310-MYTV, I talked to one guy first who redirected me to a CS Rep in another department, and said he cannot make any changes until the account drops. We just need 1 extra box for another TV, and the main email address/password, so can login to view billing online, make changes if need be, and add extra emails. Its been over 24 hours now.. so I am not sure if the account has dropped or not..
EnigmaMac

EnigmaMac

Also - is there a way I can hookup my Apple Airport Wireless? When I went into Airport Utility, it said to select "bridge mode" instead of NAT only or something. So I changed it to bridge mode, and I just realized that Telus tech had the Apple Airport Router plugged into a LAN port on the Actiontec 1000H Modem/Router. So I tried changing it, and plugging the Ethernet cord into the WAN port of the Actiontec, but still no luck.

Does anyone have their TELUS Actiontec modem/router hooked up to their own router they were using previously? Or specifically any other Mac users out there get their Actiontec to use Apple Airport Extreme as the Router? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

The WAN port on the Actiontec is used if you have Ethernet to the Suite provided by TELUS, it's the alternative to using the RJ11 jack. You want to have your Airport Extreme plugged into the LAN side, if you are using the Airport in bridged mode -- so that it will provide access to the LAN part of your network.

If you want access to your email, just register on telus.com for billing and you can reset your password there!
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch to EnigmaMac

to EnigmaMac
You can setup the Optik App with any user/pass. If you don't know how call into support and they can explain it to you. Beware that for some stupid reason you can only use a password of 8 characters in length.

EnigmaMac
Calgary, AB

EnigmaMac to pfak

to pfak
Thank you. WOW, my Internet is blazing fast now. I was uploading at 250KB/Sec through torrentz... and my downstream is wicked fast as well. I got my Actiontec hooked up to my Apple Airport now, and I love it. TELUS Optik TV/Internet blows Shaw out of the water! Way more channels to choose from compared to Shaw, I am so happy to get rid of Shaw. Their prices were just absurd and ridiculously high.

Still waiting on figuring out the email business, other than that, I am one VERY happy customer! VDSL2+ rocks!

Thanks again guys. The tech even said that I would have a rock solid connection because I am so close to the DSLAM.

I might have a few more questions later, like I heard they have a 50Mbps package now, but only available in certain areas. And I am on the Turbo 25Mbps/2.5Mbps and its fast enough for the majority of sites or torrents being able to upload to max my downstream. I did some speedtests on here, and I am close to the top for speeds with telus.net. But the other people on the 50Mbps package beat me, but oh well. Not even sure if the 50Mbps is available in my area of the City.

Thumbs up for TELUS, Thumbs down for Shaw Unstable.
Cheers and Thanks folks!