share rss forum feed

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to John Doe 187

Re: Teksavvy Voltage motion - Looking for some advice

This is not legal advice, just my understanding:

You do not have to respond to any of their extortion letters. You can simply ignore them. You do have to respond to anything related to the court case if it comes to that. This is where a lawyer can help.

As to when you should seek the assistance of a lawyer, the sooner the better. Unfortunately money doesn't always allow for that.

Personally I'm waiting to see what happens on the 14th, however, I'm one of the lucky ones: I have a family member who's a top litigator in Canada who I can ask these questions of. I may still get a lawyer if I can get one pro bono, otherwise I can't afford it and I'd have to accept a summary judgement and not be able to pay it.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

JMjimmy As far as i know at the very least you could represent yourself even if u do so poorly,
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by morisato:

JMjimmy As far as i know at the very least you could represent yourself even if u do so poorly,

I'm sure I could in theory, but I couldn't afford the fees the court charges for doing so. Assuming I could convince the judge to waive those fees, I'd have an uphill battle trying to ensure I follow the rules of the court and not piss the judge off.