spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

abkar

@saudi.net.sa

busbar

can i install shunt instead of busbar to connect 480 power cable in junction box.?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Neither?
And what's a 480 power cable?
And you're asking a North American forum, if you're really in Saudi Arabia, then this isn't the place to get code compliant instructions.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to abkar

480 power ? If you mean 3-phase 480/277V then that might stretch the definition of home improvement a little (but not more then it has on other occasions)

In keeping with the guidelines of this forum I suggest that you post a picture of the "junction box" to make sure readers here properly understand what you are talking about.

I suspect you are talking about a power riser in a commercial building in which case a bus adapter and separate breaker panel for the over-current protection may be required. There are shunt-trip breakers (assuming that is what you mean when you say "shunt") that are designed to be mounted directly onto bus bars but whatever may be possible technically may not be permitted by applicable codes (here a bus adapter with manual disconnect switch is mandatory).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 recommendations

reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

And you're asking a North American forum

In the 12 plus years I have been a member of this site I have never seen anything stating this is a "North American" forum. It is and has always been my understanding that we openly welcome posters from all over the world. Personally I would protest any attempt to limit the scope of this site to "North America" or any other geographical or geopolitical area.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to abkar

Alkizmo is trying to say that 90% (it seems to me anyway) of everyone visiting this forum is from north america so nearly all the available expert advice is going to be geared towards standard 100-120volts 60hz ac.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

Personally I would protest any attempt to limit the scope of this site to "North America" or any other geographical or geopolitical area.

I understand what you mean, everyone is welcome, but you have to understand that dslreports is overall about north american ISPs and cellphone providers. It has a majority North American membership. So people asking questions for how to do electrical work in Europe, Middle east, asia, etc will not get the ideal response.

I'm only telling the OP that he's asking a north american crowd, way outside his region. Codes, methods, procedures and infrastructures are quite different.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

In the 12 plus years I have been a member of this site I have never seen anything stating this is a "North American" forum. It is and has always been my understanding that we openly welcome posters from all over the world. Personally I would protest any attempt to limit the scope of this site to "North America" or any other geographical or geopolitical area.

It's not limited to just North American members, but there is a overwhelming centricity towards NA, particularly US and Canada. And in this forum specifically even more so. I can't remember the last time that I saw someone not from US, Canada, or maybe a Caribbean island or two. I've never seen someone from Saudi Arabia here before, let alone someone versed in whats acceptable and/or available there.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

At any rate the OP needs to provide far more information for anyone to give a useful reply. Pictures, application, goal, etc...

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19

1 recommendation

reply to abkar

IMO, regardless of where they are from, anybody coming to a "Home Improvement" message board to ask about 480V wiring should NOT be messing with 480V in the first place.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Neither?
And what's a 480 power cable?
And you're asking a North American forum, if you're really in Saudi Arabia, then this isn't the place to get code compliant instructions.

If you want to get picky - the 480V users on here outnumber us 600V guys...

OP - we need a LOT more info (ideally pics, as well) to help...

In certain applications, shunts are used as part of a bus-bar assembly, but I'm not sure about "instead of" ...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to abkar

You can, but make sure that the rating is the same as the bus to achieve the same ampacity...otherwise limit the upstream overcurrent protection to the appropriate value.

If the shunt has a CT, make sure the terminals are shorted prior to power-up.

It'd be best to get a proper section...

EDIT: Clarify

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to abkar

You guys are all pissing in the wind. It's a bot post.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

We were botted?!
Damnit!
Is it dangerous?

edit -You know what? If the weather can start a conversation, so can a bot! So we're OKAY

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to abkar

Don Lapre lives...!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

You guys are all pissing in the wind. It's a bot post.

Justification? Ran the post through Google and it seems original.