spc
Search similar:

uniqs
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli

Electrical Question

I have a room that was added on some years ago. The lights, plugs etc. share the same breaker as the kitchen. I just had my Federal Pacific breaker panel replaced with a Siemens and that has given me many extra breaker slots. I'd like to put the added room on it's own breaker. Now the hard part is getting the new wire from the panel to the added room. Is it acceptable to pop out thru the wall and run the wire thru a conduit attached to the side of the house and punch back into the house at the proper spot? This would be infinitely easier due to inaccessible attics, crawls etc. I would think the answer is yes but NEC has fooled me before.......

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

If done correctly, yes.
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli

This will be done by an electrician, just want to know my options.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to doechsli

to doechsli
Yes, there's no problem doing that. The code specifies what kind of protection needs to be given to exposed wiring like that. So as long as those rules are followed, you're golden.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to doechsli

to doechsli

Reminds me of an episode of Holmes on Homes I once saw. Had that exact configuration on the outside of a brick home, and the electrician said it was against their (Canadian) code. I believe the catch was however, that it was alongside a driveway so it was susceptible to damage from an automobile.

I'm sure nunya See Profile is right however, and part of "correctly" will hinge on where it is located.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
It's necessary to take the ambient temperature into account.

For example, if the conduit is located such that the sun directly impinges it, derating must be done.