join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

delete all prefs... result?

10.8.x
iMac
if i go to ~/library/preferences

and delete all inside... will it do damage or just reset preferences for those applications?
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

New default preferences will be set in each app as you open it. Safari will lose all its passwords, but not bookmarks. You will have to set prefs in each app as you desire.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to nu2this

Why would you want to delete all your .Prefs files??

sometimes...sometimes it can be helpful deleting the .Pref file in your User Library, of a certain Application you are having problems with......as stated, upon Launch the Application will start with a clean/default .Pref file.....devoid of passwords etc........

nu2this
NOT
Premium
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

ok... thanks! i think i will delete all files in the Preferences folder (except for I few that I will choose not to delete).

THANKS
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to nu2this

If you are worried about some corruption in your Preferences files, it would be better to use a good utility such as MacPilot, Cocktail or Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner - or the free Onyx to scan your preferences and look for problems.

If you toss them all out you will be a very busy boy! You'll have to reset all the preferences for all apps, preference panes, etc. and you will have to remember every password for every commercial product you have ever purchased on your Mac. Not fun!
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6