spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scott216
join:2013-01-04
Mountain Lakes, NJ

scott216

Need dual WAN router

My cable internet connection isn't very fast, so I'm going to get DSL also so I have both internet services in my house. I'm looking for a router that can support 2 WAN connections. I don't want a router that only uses the 2nd connection if the first one is down. I want the router to use both connections at the same time. The router doesn't have to have WiFi, I can always setup my existing routers as WiFi access points. Any recommendations.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You may want to look at the ZyXel USG50.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to scott216

Premium Member

to scott216
Just be aware that a dual wan connection gets you..

a. primarily a redundancy in that if one goes down your home service, browsing, email etc keeps on trucking (barring a huge disaster).

b. ability to load share services or users

c. capacity for more internet traffic

WHat it will not do is create a super stream for one session. IE a session will go either out one ISP or the other.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to scott216

to scott216
»store.netgate.com/Deskto ··· C83.aspx

Be sure to get the red one.
scott216
Mountain Lakes, NJ

scott216 to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

What it will not do is create a super stream for one session. IE a session will go either out one ISP or the other.

That's okay. I really just need more capacity for multiple users.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I use the USG100 at home myself and it works great for a dual ISP. I actually kept the old ISP because our emails are on it but it has come in handy when our main ISP went down to a tech error at a box (they disconnected us LOL)"

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

I use the USG100 at home also. You and I must annoy them in a similar fashion. One day its my primary that's down and the next day is my second line.

But in all honesty the USG100 works very well for my purposes and the dual WAN is a benefit.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Haha, the state that wants desperately to be a volkswagen LOL
Ask a West Virginian to name a state East of them and they will say, East Virginia?? ;-P
scott216
Mountain Lakes, NJ

scott216 to clarknova

to clarknova
said by clarknova:

»store.netgate.com/Deskto ··· C83.aspx

Be sure to get the red one.

There are a few red ones. I didn't see any that supported dual WAN, just dual LAN, unless I'm missing something in the specs.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to scott216

to scott216
This is also a good possibility depending on what features you need:

»www.amazon.com/TP-link-T ··· d_ybh_16

currently priced at $55.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to scott216

to scott216
All the pfsense boxes support multi-WAN and multi-LAN. A three-port unit such as the 2D3/2D13 could have two WANs and a LAN.

If they're out of red ones you could probably make another colour do what you need.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by clarknova:

All the pfsense boxes support multi-WAN and multi-LAN. A three-port unit such as the 2D3/2D13 could have two WANs and a LAN.

If they're out of red ones you could probably make another colour do what you need.

Or drink the pfsense coolaid (lsd) and it will turn colours right in front of your eyes.

One day Clarkie is going to kidnap me and force me to learn and use Pfsense and see the light, or in this case the red.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to scott216

MVM

to scott216
What's your budget, exactly?

Search for "dual wan" in this forum scott216 See Profile. Off the top of my head, peplink.com has probably
got about the most control I've ever seen in a multi-WAN appliance.

Regards