Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown

Re: "Most of them prefer the reliability of POTS"

I would much rather have copper. With storms like Sandy, even fiber customers are going to have long outage times so that is really not a comparison.

However, for 99% of the time, the outage is usually at the customer premises due to power and for long term, the copper will be up 100% where unless the customer provides their OWN generator, they lose all services in 8 hours. With copper, all phone power is provided from the CO, unless you happen to be on an RT inwhich case the telco is on the hook for providing power to that.

Funny how so many people forget the availability that the copper infrastructure gives.

Thirsty III
@verizon.com

Thirsty III

Anon

After all that water the existing copper will be noisy for the rest of it's lifetime.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Addressing the major source of power outages mentioned localized customer premises.

Power outages (omitting sandy) rarely last for anywhere close to 8 hours in all of the places I've lived, normally they are a few minutes.
If they go over 8 hours, and it's a local outage I can use my cell phone.

In NJ even before sandy, the power companies in our area suck, they don't maintain the system as they should. I think we should create stronger regulation to make sure they properly maintain systems and find ways to decrease the amount of power outages. I know quite a few areas, and have lived in a few that experience frequent outages, they usually aren't very long but too common.

Still I'm comfortable with FIOS voice service and cell service.
Sandy was the first time I've been without both phone service and cell phone. And cell service came back relatively quickly. POTS is no guarantee, many many people lost POTS service, and for much longer than I was without cell or FIOS telephone service, because the FIOS lines are more resilient.

Maybe they should add longer lasting batteries to FIOS, eight hours is usually sufficient for me, but maybe more would make people more comfortable.

I think we need to look forward and find ways to make ftth phone service more reliable, it may take awhile but eventually copper will go away. and making ftth better proactively is better than sticking our heads in then sand and clinging to old, degrading POTS lines.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

2 edits

aaronwt to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

I would much rather have copper. With storms like Sandy, even fiber customers are going to have long outage times so that is really not a comparison.

However, for 99% of the time, the outage is usually at the customer premises due to power and for long term, the copper will be up 100% where unless the customer provides their OWN generator, they lose all services in 8 hours. With copper, all phone power is provided from the CO, unless you happen to be on an RT inwhich case the telco is on the hook for providing power to that.

Funny how so many people forget the availability that the copper infrastructure gives.

tell that to my parents. They are still on copper here in Northern Virginia. After the Derecho came through this past Summer, they were without phone service for around a week. While the neighbors that had Comcast and FiOS still had phone service.

Although this is the first time in almost fifty years something like that has happened to the phone service at their house, but it still shows that even POTS can go down.

At my place i have FiOS. I have my ONT on a UPS so the ONT BBU won't kick in until there is a 16 to 18 hour power outage. I'll take phone service over Fiber with FiOS or even coax with Comcast over a POTS line any day. Even when i had Comcast and I had a power outage, i still had TV service since all my electronics were on UPSs.. Comcast didn't have phone service back then though but it would have still been up for me.