join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

[Info] Proper ser module for C1941...

V.35 serial cable
Greetings...

I've got a v.35 serial cable that I need to connect to a 1941 router. I thought I could use HWIC-1SER for this, but it's apparently discontinued since 2010. There a SOOO many more WIC's out there, than the last time I tried doing this back in 2004.

Question: Given the cable in the attachment, what WIC module do I need for a 1941 router? This is a frame-relay ckt, so it will need to be a 'hi-speed' serial connection versus the kind that tops out at 115.2 KBit (modem-speed)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

hwic-1t or hwic-2t.

q.

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD

I think that will do it.. thanks! --and its cheaper than the HWIC-1SER was....

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to batsona

As tubbynet See Profile says, hwic-1t or 2t, see this image.

Far as I know, you can still find them 2nd hand on ebay, et al but at a rather expensive price.

Regards

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to batsona

Or even a WIC-2T... I'm not sure a 1900 will allow such an old card, but for $20, it's worth a look. Or any number of modules (WIC up to EHWIC) with integrated DSU/CSU -- assuming we're talking about a T1.

(I really don't understand why people pay so much money on gear to terminate a T1. ISR G2's are *expensive*, and T1's are insanely slow. I have quite a selection of T1 termination gear -- didn't pay anything for any piece of it; I run into very few T1's these days that aren't terminated by some ISP specific service device -- integrated voice/data over IP/frame/atm/etc.)

[edit: I have WIC-1T (DB60) sitting here if you want to try it -- assuming I can find the V35 cable for it.]

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to batsona

@cramer
Doesn't look like it officially, unfortunately

If you're feeling experimental and willing to brick a 19xx, thought...

Regards

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

Or even a WIC-2T... I'm not sure a 1900 will allow such an old card, but for $20, it's worth a look. Or any number of modules (WIC up to EHWIC) with integrated DSU/CSU -- assuming we're talking about a T1.

exactly.
it would be even easier to just buy something old (1700-series) or something to terminate some old kit. i still have some old 2600xm's that i keep around just for those situations.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to HELLFIRE

It won't brick it; it'll show up as an unknown/unsupported device.

Expand your moderator at work

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona

Re: [Info] Proper ser module for C1941...

OP here: Thanks to all.. I have to stick with proper, supported equipment, since this is an 'enterprise-class' solution. --no grey market stuff I'd heard that you have to prove where you bought the equipment before Cisco will issue a SmartNet contract..

We're going to go with a 1941 router, and the HWIC-1T. The VerizonBusiness solution includes a managed Adtran CSU/DSU, and they dropped a V.35 cable in a rack, for us to use.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to batsona

So I'm guessing they're pulling in a full T1 for you, or fractional?
Is it an MPLS circuit?

Regards

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

This is a regular run-of-the-mill frame-relay.. I'm a 'spoke', I'm not the 'hub'. Therefore it will appear point-to-point from my standpoint, being the spoke.

QUESTION: can anyone paste in a config example from a Cisco IOS router, that's using the HWIC-1T or HWIC-2T, that's connected to a CSU/DSU? Im sure I need 'speed' statements, and clocking statements etc etc.... I've got a config document from Cisco, for all types of Serial interfaces, but it's 200 pages.

I've done this a million times before using the WIC with the integrated CSU/DSU, but it's been way too long since I've used the external CSU/DSUs, with the straight serial interfaces on the Cisco Router....

C1941 Router------>HWIC-1T---->V.35 cable---->Adtran CSU/DSU

batsona
Maryland

Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

I understand that since my router-end is the DTE, it will inherit the speed setting from the DCE device (Adtran CSU/DSU), therefore, I just need to do the following? (example int names / IPs used)

maui-soho-01(config)#interface Serial 0/0
maui-soho-01(config-if)#ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
maui-soho-01(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay
maui-soho-01(config-if)#framerelay interfacedlci 150
maui-soho-01(config-if)#no shutdown

Would this config work, using the HWIC-1T?

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to batsona

SPLIT HORIZON AHEAD!

It's been so long since I used serial, I don't remember either. Looking at some archived 4500 configs (you read it right) it's just "interface SerialX / bandwidth 1536" (or 128 for a 2 channel frame circuit)

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to batsona

Guessing the ISP will be doing the timing, so you won't need to put any sort of clockrate on it.

A base CCNA frame relay config would have the following
- the encapsulation-type "frame-relay" as you specified.
- authentication (if any) but I'd check with your ISP if it's needed or not.
- DLCI mapping, or turn on IARP.
- LMI type, again check with your ISP if this is needed.
- may need to turn on "frame-relay switching," but I forget what this command is for.
- bandwidth (optional)
- ... and your IP addressing as needed.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02

said by HELLFIRE:

Guessing the ISP will be doing the timing, so you won't need to put any sort of clockrate on it.

A base CCNA frame relay config would have the following
- the encapsulation-type "frame-relay" as you specified.
- authentication (if any) but I'd check with your ISP if it's needed or not.
- DLCI mapping, or turn on IARP.
- LMI type, again check with your ISP if this is needed.
- may need to turn on "frame-relay switching," but I forget what this command is for.
- bandwidth (optional)
- ... and your IP addressing as needed.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

Frame relay Switching is not needed in this case. It's intended for creating a frame relay switch in which you can map multiple DLCI's to multiple DLCI's (think ISP cloud). Good to setup in a lab once or twice though.

Frame Relay Switching

HELLFIRE
Premium

...I'll have to update my lab journal with that information, thanks phantasm11b See Profile

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to phantasm11b

Ive just set up an E1 ring in my lab (4 routers in total), and (so far for testing) switching a DLCI between two ports of a Juniper router around the ring (with one end being in a different virtual router to the first so I can ping between the two).

Using a bunch of VWIC-2MFT-E1's for my frame relay lab so that I can also use them for voice (since all of my Cisco routers have somehow managed to end up with PVDMs and VICs in them as well.)

Yet to try and run voice and data over the same E1 though...

Im a bit late to the frame relay party. I passed CCNA long ago, and its kind of a dying technology (at least going forward.)

+-------[C1760]-------+
   |                     |
   |                     |
[C2811]               [C2821]
   |                     |
   |                     |
   +-------[J2300]-------+

J2300 - Data only, no voice capability
C2811 - PVDM, AIM-CUE, 4x FXS, 2x E1, PoE ESW
C1760 - PVDM, 2x FXO, 2x FXS, 2x E1
C2821 - PVDM, 2x FXO, 4x FXS, 2x E1

The 2821 I picked up from work for free as it was about to be binned (couldnt let that happen.) It had two 4x FXS modules in it along with a PVDM2-64 or some such (Ive shuffled some module around.) Not a bad little score. :-)

</thread hijack>