All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo

Re: Subfloor comments and recommendations?

Platon subfloor instructions here:

»www.certainteed.com/reso ··· -04C.pdf

DeltaFL instructions are better though. Thanks for the link.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Yeah Platon's subfloor instruction is a joke.
Then again that's because Platon isn't really marketed towards being a subfloor while DeltaFL is its raison d'ĂȘtre.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Interesting. That is certainly not manufacturer produced instructions. I talked to the manufacturer directly and they absolutely would not give and advice or help in using it as a barrier between concrete and a sub floor. They were firm on having to use the Delta FL.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

3 edits

67845017 (banned)

So the Platon people were firm about using Delta? BTW, I'm pretty sure you didn't talk to the manufacturer. Or if you did, it was some clueless person.

From the manufacturer's website:

»www.armtec.com/en-ca/pro ··· ing.aspx

"Platon Flooring Protector isolates flooring from cold, damp concrete. When used beneath a wooden sub-floor and over concrete in a basement, it makes floors comfortable, odour free, healthy and dry."

Flooring installation instructions (which are worse than Certainteed's) by the manufacturer: »files.armtec.com/Downloa ··· 11-E.pdf

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

Gats... I still need more coffee.. My brain was thinking Delta FL vs. Platon and not what it should have of Delta FL vs. Delta MS which people here have said they used.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Interesting. That is certainly not manufacturer produced instructions. I talked to the manufacturer directly and they absolutely would not give and advice or help in using it as a barrier between concrete and a sub floor. They were firm on having to use the Delta FL.

Cosella Dorken won't tell you how to use DeltaMS as a subfloor because they want you to buy the more expensive DeltaFL.

Their tune changed since that RedFlagForum thread I posted, where some people did call the manufacturer and were told the only difference is the recycled palstic. I guess the manufacturer realised this was a marketing mistake to admit that the MS just smells a bit of recycled plastic (People don't care).
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I'm sure they'll come up with some "scientific" reason to push people towards FL.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Of course they will. Something like it may give off obnoxious odors which would not be an issue out doors but would be as a subfloor.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Delta MS VS. Delta FL
I broke down the relevant parts (excluded dimensions).

I put a red box at the superior factors of FL.
Basically, it is ever so slightly more permeable for water vapors (20 ng vs 22 ng, whatever that means) and isn't smelly or allergenic!!

Yeah.. no I'm not going to pay double for DeltaFL.
That stuff is under a layer of XPS and a layer of plywood. If I get allergic or smell something from it, then it's pretty nasty.
However the roll has been sitting in my basement for a couple of months now and really I smell nothing (I sniffed it up close too!).
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I assume nanograms. Strikes me as being pretty insignificant.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Yeah.. no I'm not going to pay double for DeltaFL.
That stuff is under a layer of XPS and a layer of plywood. If I get allergic or smell something from it, then it's pretty nasty.
However the roll has been sitting in my basement for a couple of months now and really I smell nothing (I sniffed it up close too!).

Maybe I am just looking inthe wrong place, but looking at the spycor web site, FL is $.59/sq foot, MS is $.53/sq foot, and platon is $.49/sq foot. For my project it would only be a $51 difference between FL and platon. Hardly double the price.

Maybe pricing is different where you are.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by 67845017:

I assume nanograms. Strikes me as being pretty insignificant.

Especially since
22ng = 0.3845 US perm
20ng = 0.3496 US perm
said by ropeguru:

Maybe I am just looking inthe wrong place, but looking at the spycor web site, FL is $.59/sq foot, MS is $.53/sq foot, and platon is $.49/sq foot. For my project it would only be a $51 difference between FL and platon. Hardly double the price.

Maybe pricing is different where you are.

Where DeltaFL and DeltaMS are available in store:

$170 - roll of MS (6.6 x 65.6' = 433 sqft) = $0.393/sqft
$70 -- Roll of RL (3.5' x 30' = 105 sqft) = $0.67/sqft

Though it depends on if you can buy in the biggest quantity roll without too much left-over.
For me, I measured exactly how my roll would go and I am very lucky because I end up with only 30 sqft left-over.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Ok.. I have not found it in store anywhere around here. So it could be it is in store in QC but not the states. Or at least in my area.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

It's not in the states. If you go to their website they tell you to special order from Lowes or by from the spycor website.

»Re: Subfloor comments and recommendations?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Check your PM
But here for reference
»www.menards.com/main/bui ··· 5710.htm

Platon is just as good, guys.
Buy whatever is close to you, delta or platon, doesn't matter.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Thanks for all the info. I just called the local Lowes and they sell the 42"x30' roll for $49.38 which is $.47/sq foot. If I ordered today, which I am not, it would be in by the 11th. So not too bad of a turn around.

I would rather have the wider roll so I didn't have so many seams. But that isn't a big stickler.