uniqs
share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[Rant] Tech didn't want to do work because of homerun install...

Had a tech out to check signal levels because the levels from THE DROP where fluctuating so much, not inside the house but directly from the drop... other neighbors are having issues too.. I think our amp is going bad or something... but the tech came out... looked at the wiring room and just said "This is too complex"...

ok... so I have a rack that has patch panels for every telephone port, every cat5e port, and every coax port in the house terminating in one spot... not hard to understand, its standard data-com type setup... all 110 block punch downs, all F connector on the coax... all on patch panels... shouldn't have to even worry about that end if all they are doing is checking the drop levels....

we have a drop line which is CLEARLY labeled "CABLE LINE IN - CABLECO - DROP LINE"

which goes into a MoCA filter then to a 2 way splitter to go to the eMTA then split to an amp to an 8-way, the 8-way then runs to the active ports on our 24 port Coax patch panel with every room labeled, and port numbered... simple to understand right?.... right?.....

all I get is "this is to complex, I can't do a check on this"... argh!!

never had a tech say that before that came out, most of them understood the setup from a glance and found the easy to read coax label that said what was the drop.....

then to end the visit get a comment that goes "I've never seen a house setup like this, why do you have so many coax cables?".. I duno... 12 room house, every room has 2 ports... thus making 24 patch locations......

anyone ever have a situation like this?

Expand your moderator at work

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to neufuse

Re: [Rant] Tech didn't want to do work because of homerun instal

Sounds like the tech didnt want to check anything. If its labeled it doesnt matter how many lines are there. Labels make the job easy. Just my opinion.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neufuse

i duno it just bugged me... I was extreamly patient with the tech, and explained the setup... just bugged me...

and I always love when a tech says "what did an electrician do this work?" like that is some kind of mock agains electricians or something... no, a certified data-comm installer did it... which just happens to be me...

structured wiring isn't some neuroscience thing...

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to neufuse

what i dont get is that all he needed to do was find the line in and run his test.

i dont have that clean of a setup at home, but the connection coming into my office is cable and it terminates on the rack. we have some cable TVs in the office and the line in is labeled on the rack and easily accessible. when the tech came to upgrade our internet/equipment, the first thing he did was find the line in and do a test on the line.

now, i will admit that most homes are not wired like you have it (although they should be) and that the tech that came to my office was a cable installer who was very familiar with business setups, but if it was properly labeled like you say it is, my vote is that the tech was lazy.

it sounds like you were on site with the tech, but can you confirm this? he could have even said...

'this is too complex, can you show me where the feed coming in is located'? (even thought it was labeled).

edit- didnt see your reply. yes you were there.

he sounds lazy to me.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

i duno it just bugged me... I was extreamly patient with the tech, and explained the setup... just bugged me...

and I always love when a tech says "what did an electrician do this work?" like that is some kind of mock agains electricians or something... no, a certified data-comm installer did it... which just happens to be me...

structured wiring isn't some neuroscience thing...

yeah, i hate to say it, but people are ignorant. they just don't know any better and say what the think is right.

the electrician i use is not a data/telecom expert, but if i tell him i need 50 drops and i need the to terminate to x location, he can run wire and terminate. anyone that can follow directions can pretty much do this. the wiring directions are stamped on the patch panels and key stone jacks.

like i said above, he is probably never walking into that clean of a setup. then again, structured wiring is becoming more and more common.

alot of older homes had phone lines daisy chained from another drop. home runs are more common now, as well as including a line for data/spare to each room.

a friend of mine was building a home and he could have had the entire house wired for 1 voice 1 data in each room (2 drops total) and he decided to pay a quarter of that just for a few locations. i told him that he messed up and that it would cost him way more, in the future, to do it.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to neufuse

Sometimes these things happen for a reason. If I were you, I'd consider myself lucky it didn't end up a mess. Unless you took steps to prevent it of course........

Did you suggest to him just to check from the tap to the ground block?
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to neufuse

you really have two outlets to every room and you wanted a tech to activate every one of them. Good luck with that as i wouldnt have done it either

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

my home had two lines in my bedroom. One for tv and one for internet and phone. My parents house has 6 tvs and 6 boxes.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

And if the tvs are there fine but 24 outlets in a house. No one has a need for two outlets to every room. More importantly is was the OP willing to pay to have all outlets activated as the tech would have had to accept responsibility for every last one.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to mikedz4

dp

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

you really have two outlets to every room and you wanted a tech to activate every one of them. Good luck with that as i wouldnt have done it either

You might want to re-read the OP.

He wanted the incoming levels checked that go to an eMTA and 8 other active outlets.

He didn't say a thing about activating more outlets or even troubleshooting the inside wire or outlets(that complicated stuff). Just the drop/input to his racks/panels.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

Ok even 8 was he willing to pay to have every outlet active or was he like just run this line here. Just run this line here isnt how it works. You want 8 hooked up you need to pay for 8 as the tech has to accept responsibility for the 8.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

since when does the customer have to pay for EVERY active outlet? Maybe he has tvs that care connected to an antenna or split off another tv cause that room doesn't need a box. Maybe the customer has tvs that can get clear qam signals the customer shouldn't HAVE to pay for every active outlet unless I missed the MEMO in my bill and YES I DO read my bills.

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Ok even 8 was he willing to pay to have every outlet active or was he like just run this line here. Just run this line here isnt how it works. You want 8 hooked up you need to pay for 8 as the tech has to accept responsibility for the 8.

The tech was called in on a service call to identify (and hopefully fix or in this case, get someone that could) a problem with an existing service, not for an install. A problem that has the indication of not being related to the housewire. Is that so hard to comprehend?
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to neufuse

Ok thought it was a install. A picture to see what we are dealing with would be nice as i still think it comes down to the tech didnt like what he saw and didnt want his name on it.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

If the tech didn't even check the signal then he was being lazy. Then to say he didn't know what he was looking at reflects on the training Comcrap provides. When I was a tech the first thing that was taught was never let the customer know you don't know how to do your job. You always tell them you are checking your resources. I would write Comcrap and tell them what happened, then cancel my service. Cable is too high to have a lazy or ignorant tech come to anyone's house, let alone come and tell them you can't and won't do,your job. As long as people keep paying then that's the level of service we are going to get.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Ok thought it was a install. A picture to see what we are dealing with would be nice as i still think it comes down to the tech didnt like what he saw and didnt want his name on it.

re-read the first post.

by the explanation of the OP's post, his install is very clean and well labeled.

sounds like the tech was lazy and confused as such a clean install and was not understanding how everything was wired.

the OP probably has 2 drops to every room in case he wants to re-arrange furniture and avoid running a cable along the wall to the other side of the room.

nothing wrong with having a home future proofed (as much as you can during the time of the wiring stage).

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

might have been an outside contractor. Talked to actual tech and said they will spend all day at a house to get a problem fixed whereas a contractor does as little work as possible because they are paid by the job. Don't know how true this is but have seen contractors leave an install half finished a couple times for me. Had to get a tech to come back and fix the problems from the installer.

Expand your moderator at work

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

Re: [Rant] Tech didn't want to do work because of homerun instal

What? did you even read what I wrote? the house was constructed with two sets of keystone jacks in every room, each one has a Cat5e, a telephone and a Coax... never said anything about them all being active... heck I said I had a 8 port splitter going to the active ones!

the guy who showed up was a contractor Triwire or somethign liek that with with a sign on the truck that says "authorized comcast serivce provider"

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA

Well as a cable tech I check the work order and see the number of outlets and if they match the actual number of outlets activated it's all good. If you have more than that and you want me to check them I will but you will be charged for each additional outlet (not shown on the work order). Of course there is a reasonable limit due to the time assigned to your job. If you have less outlets activated than what's shown on the work order I will activate additional outlets (if you need them) for free. Either way it's best to only have outlets you use activated and by checking your outlet I mean ingress check and updating any fittings if needed.

I don't really care how big your house is or how many outlets you think you need or how you feel about this. Cable cos will charge a one time per-outlet activation fees and if you decide to do it yourself that's OK with me but don't expect any support for that. It seems like you have a really nice setup and as long as there is no ingress backfeeding from your internal wiring and your signal level is strong enough (with the amp) to have 24 outlets should not be a problem.

FWIW I don't work for Comcast and my employer wants MOCA filtered before any amp and not on the modem line (so the filter would be on the input port of the 8 way splitter). But again this may not mean anything (I'm sure some Comcast techs will provide more info).
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to neufuse

Outlet also might be defined differently per cable company.

You could have a mansion with 50 cable jacks, but only three outlets in the billing system. (two boxes and a CM, one box a CM and MTA, 3 boxes and no HSI. 2modems and 1 MTA, etc)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained. From a tech standpoint you dont want a service call whole house setup listed as completed by you. Raises and performance reviews will be in the crapper doing such trouble calls.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

said by rody_44:

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained. From a tech standpoint you dont want a service call whole house setup listed as completed by you. Raises and performance reviews will be in the crapper doing such trouble calls.

doesnt matter if the house has 1 drop or 50 drops. the signal level needs to be checked before it goes into any splitters/equipment, etc...that is the proper way to check the signal.

if the signal is strong coming in and weak at the wall/drop/room, then that is typically on the home owner. then you need to look at:

-bad cabling
-bad splitter
-bad amp (if one is being used)
-bad connectors on the wall plate

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

and when you build a house you don't go oh I'll have two tv's run only two lines in the walls!

you wire the entire house in home run style now days, then you can turn on and off physical lines as you please

and it turned out the amp outside was going, it's been replaced, like I told the guy the first time, its outside the house... took 5 neighbors to complain to get the amp looked at....

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained.

And what if I'm NOT paying "inside wiring maintenance" for CC to "maintain active outlets" - does it make a diff THEN???