share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

Re: [Rant] Tech didn't want to do work because of homerun instal

What? did you even read what I wrote? the house was constructed with two sets of keystone jacks in every room, each one has a Cat5e, a telephone and a Coax... never said anything about them all being active... heck I said I had a 8 port splitter going to the active ones!

the guy who showed up was a contractor Triwire or somethign liek that with with a sign on the truck that says "authorized comcast serivce provider"

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1

Well as a cable tech I check the work order and see the number of outlets and if they match the actual number of outlets activated it's all good. If you have more than that and you want me to check them I will but you will be charged for each additional outlet (not shown on the work order). Of course there is a reasonable limit due to the time assigned to your job. If you have less outlets activated than what's shown on the work order I will activate additional outlets (if you need them) for free. Either way it's best to only have outlets you use activated and by checking your outlet I mean ingress check and updating any fittings if needed.

I don't really care how big your house is or how many outlets you think you need or how you feel about this. Cable cos will charge a one time per-outlet activation fees and if you decide to do it yourself that's OK with me but don't expect any support for that. It seems like you have a really nice setup and as long as there is no ingress backfeeding from your internal wiring and your signal level is strong enough (with the amp) to have 24 outlets should not be a problem.

FWIW I don't work for Comcast and my employer wants MOCA filtered before any amp and not on the modem line (so the filter would be on the input port of the 8 way splitter). But again this may not mean anything (I'm sure some Comcast techs will provide more info).
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to neufuse

Outlet also might be defined differently per cable company.

You could have a mansion with 50 cable jacks, but only three outlets in the billing system. (two boxes and a CM, one box a CM and MTA, 3 boxes and no HSI. 2modems and 1 MTA, etc)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained. From a tech standpoint you dont want a service call whole house setup listed as completed by you. Raises and performance reviews will be in the crapper doing such trouble calls.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL

said by rody_44:

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained. From a tech standpoint you dont want a service call whole house setup listed as completed by you. Raises and performance reviews will be in the crapper doing such trouble calls.

doesnt matter if the house has 1 drop or 50 drops. the signal level needs to be checked before it goes into any splitters/equipment, etc...that is the proper way to check the signal.

if the signal is strong coming in and weak at the wall/drop/room, then that is typically on the home owner. then you need to look at:

-bad cabling
-bad splitter
-bad amp (if one is being used)
-bad connectors on the wall plate

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

and when you build a house you don't go oh I'll have two tv's run only two lines in the walls!

you wire the entire house in home run style now days, then you can turn on and off physical lines as you please

and it turned out the amp outside was going, it's been replaced, like I told the guy the first time, its outside the house... took 5 neighbors to complain to get the amp looked at....

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Its comcast and on comcasts system it lists the amount of active outlets that were paid for to be maintained.

And what if I'm NOT paying "inside wiring maintenance" for CC to "maintain active outlets" - does it make a diff THEN???