how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

No Limit
Just Say No To Social Promotion

join:2000-10-07
Katy, TX

Telephone service required for Fusion Broadband?

I just typed in my address to check if there's availability and there was a bunch of numbers that popped up and I had to select one in order to continue. I rent and I use my cellphone basically as my landline. Do I really need a landline to get Fusion? I'm really thinking about switching as I saw my latest Comcast bill and it's getting ridiculous how much I'm paying for that.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

1 edit

AFAIK, you don't need a landline to get Fusion.

Doh, I was thinking of an AT&T landline...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to No Limit

Fusion is a product that combines phone and Internet service and therefore when you sign up for Fusion you will get phone service as well. To avoid confusion, this phone service is provided by Sonic and not by the LEC (probably AT&T)!

You don't have to use the landline if you don't want to and can simply consider the entire cost of Fusion to be the price for Internet service. However the Fusion phone service is actually very good and well worth considering to use:

- good voice quality
- free domestic calling
- very low international calling rates (including some free countries)
- all services (caller id, voicemail, etc.) that are typically extra charge features on telco phone lines are included for free
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

lifeofparty

@privacyfoundation.de
reply to No Limit

if i dial 911 from my sonic.net fusion phone line, will the local police department know my exact location like they would with an at&t phone line?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Yes, but I'm glad I haven't had any need to tried it out.

said by Sonic CEO blog :

Having a reliable landline at home also offers peace of mind. Reliable 911 service which provides physical address information to emergency responders is a key lifeline, and its awful that so many households do without because it has been overpriced. And because landline voice service is DC (direct current) powered from the central office, it works even when your household power is out.

It is my understanding that as a CLEC Sonic.net is required to provide 911 service. Unlike the 911 service provided by VoIP or mobile phone carriers (where there can be uncertainty about the location of the caller) the Sonic 911 service can provide the exact address of the Fusion customer (just like an ILEC would).

Note that regardless of voice carrier your location details are only transmitted if you actually dial 9-1-1. If you use the direct numbers for any emergency services only the regular caller-id information is provided (which some people choose to block).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

Re: Sonic 911 location service

Just last night I was reading the Sonic FUSION Wiki and found the dialing code to verify emergency location information.

Dial 933, wait about 20 seconds and a recording will read back your telephone number and address.

Reliable 911 service is another reason to love Sonic

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network
reply to No Limit

Re: Telephone service required for Fusion Broadband?

I was thinking about signing up for Sonic's fusion 20 mbps Broadband +phone(When it become available in Orange County, CA in Fall) . Is it require to have landline? We cant use the telephone because we are deaf and hard of hearing. So that negate the need of having landline. Plus, I don't want to pay taxes and fee on landline too lol
--
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com