share rss forum feed

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Connect to Wifi with FB via Instabridge

Oh boy....does not sound like a good idea to me. Not sure if ISP's would even allow this.

Connecting to Wifi with a Little Help from Your Facebook Friends and a Lot of Access for Your Enemies
Posted on Thursday, January 3rd, 2013 by Jan Legnitto

If you’re one of the millions of Wifi users constantly looking for new ways to connect, a new app called Instabridge might sound like just the ticket.

The Swedish start-up is promising to become the world’s largest Wifi network by allowing users to connect to their friends’ and families’ wireless networks via Facebook without having to enter passwords or logins. How’s that for Wifi access?...........

»www.privatewifi.com/connecting-t···enemies/
--
The Alien in the White House

20,085 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Now that's concerning. From what I read, you have to download the app then add your wifi login/PW info into the apps database, then add your "friends" that you'd like to have one click access to your network.

"The free Android-only app serves as a database for Wifi logins. Those who download it can choose which Facebook friends they want to access their Wifi networks whether they’re at home, in offices or at hotpots."

All I can say is protect your PWs

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to La Luna

I don't even understand how this would work. Don't you have to be close to the wifi hotspot to be able to connect? How would you connect to someone elses wifi who isn't near you?

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by La Luna:

I don't even understand how this would work. Don't you have to be close to the wifi hotspot to be able to connect? How would you connect to someone elses wifi who isn't near you?

Agree Guess if you live in a small town and you have enough friends you could stay connected.

Wonder if this will make it easier for hotspots like Starbucks.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

The minute I saw "Facebook," 10tonne alarm bells went off in my head flashing "Security Alert!"

Regards

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Agreed. I use FB, but I would NEVER do something like this. I keep FB locked down as tightly as possible. Using wifi via FB sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to La Luna

Love that TOS - not.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
reply to La Luna

On the bright side:

Instabridge = plausible deniability if you get caught for copyright infringement.