dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« not surprised
This is a sub-selection from 27% price increase! Yay...
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: 27% price increase! Yay...

No, what bothers me is that companies will raise rates simply because they know many people aren't willing to waste time and aggravation fighting them and going through the inconvenience to switch to another company (assuming there is one). It is simply exploitation of customer's time which has nothing to do with ability to pay.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by CXM_Splicer:

No, what bothers me is that companies will raise rates simply because they know many people aren't willing to waste time and aggravation fighting them and going through the inconvenience to switch to another company (assuming there is one). It is simply exploitation of customer's time which has nothing to do with ability to pay.

I disagree. If you don't have 30 minutes a year to negotiate your annual contract, then you can afford whatever increase is applied. Where I come from, we call that "lazy" - even as we might agree with some of your sentiment.

You don't have to switch to another company.

Most firms in this country are not charities. They're in business to make a profit. In order to attract capital to invest in the expansion of their network that you and others so often call for, those profits need to be maintained, in a world where costs continue to climb (labor, benefits, taxes, rent, etc). Rate hikes are going to happen.

If the firm applies them in a way that requires customers to be diligent, so what?
There is nothing wrong with that.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I agree that many ARE too lazy to bother either keeping track or spend the time negotiating... some are simply too busy. But, you see, this is my point, we are talking about time.
quote:
If you don't have 30 minutes a year to negotiate your annual contract

Here you are talking about time
quote:
then you can afford whatever increase is applied

but here you are talking about money. While I am sure you would cite the age-old cliche that 'Time is money' the two are obviously not equivalent since a person with a lot of time on their hands is not by definition wealthy. And your defense of costs to business going up would carry more weight if they weren't making higher and higher profits each year. In many cases, their costs can be shown to be decreasing (labor, taxes, etc.) They could get by just fine without raising rates, they do it anyway because they know it is a hassle for people to switch.
« not surprised
This is a sub-selection from 27% price increase! Yay...