uniqs
share rss forum feed

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

Hmm?

I just talked to a member who lives near Buffalo who said he was getting 50Mbps down from Comcast at his house.

Who should readers believe?
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Dan Jones

@rr.com
This refers purely to wireless 3G and 4G services.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to linicx
It must be another Buffalo. We have time warner or FIOS here...Well in buffalo, they get DSL I do get 50/25 w FIOS tho...

And yes since we have FIOS competition, TWC has wideband up here too and it's fast.

Now if you are talking weather, I agree Buffalo sucks

Dan Jones

@rr.com
Again, this refers to wireless not cable or DSL, as far as I know RootMetrics only surveys wireless.

Gandalf4503

join:2002-06-27
Cohoes, NY
reply to elefante72
said by linicx:

I just talked to a member who lives near Buffalo who said he was getting 50Mbps down from Comcast at his house.

said by elefante72:

It must be another Buffalo. We have time warner or FIOS here...Well in buffalo, they get DSL I do get 50/25 w FIOS tho...

And yes since we have FIOS competition, TWC has wideband up here too and it's fast.

Now if you are talking weather, I agree Buffalo sucks

I think you guys need to learn how to read. It blatantly says WIRELESS in the subject of the article.

Seriously guys.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to linicx
said by linicx:

That was me. And no I did not say Comcast. Comcast doesn’t have any territory for a couple hundred miles from here. I said Time Warner. I get 50Mb service from Time Warner and I live in a relatively rural community. The focus of this study was wireless, so I don’t see why you even brought that up.
»FCC: Deaf.Dumb & Blind
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to linicx
said by linicx:

Not you! There is no Comcast connection anywhere near Buffalo

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to Happydude32
The original conversation, Steve, was your disagreement with my experience with telco and cable inre poor service, low speeds and no competition in rural areas.

If a house receives Comcast, Time-Warner, or AT&T Internet it is not a rural location. Years ago AT&T, Verizon, Cox, Road Runner, T-W and Comcast divested their interest in landlines loaded with debt,old equipment, and promises they did not intend to honor in mid-markets and rural America in towns under 100,000 from coast to coast to the likes of Frontier, Suddenlink, Central Telephone, and other suckers who thought they were getting a good deal.

If the owner has a 50Mbps to the home, it is not rural. If the owner needs a modem-to-cable connection, or telco-to-modem connection to receive a signal to the house, then the house is not wireless -- not yet anyway.

I live in a tiny town 50 Miles from AT&T or a national cable providers. My town is surrounded by fiber cable. FIOS to the CO/Head-in. Telco and Cable both share FIOS. Cable charges $100 for 10/2. Telco charges $40 for 10/.512. Telco delivers ADSL over fiber to a A -D converter box some 30' from my house. There it is converted from digital to analog and delivered to the house over a POTS line. The RJ-11 device inside the house connects to the modem and the web. When I decided I wanted to be wireless, I bought wireless devices and an ASUS 802.11 b/g/n wireless router. I enjoy my wireless toys, but they are useless without a cable or telco connection to a modem.

You may actually get wireless, or FTTH, but I've never seen it, and where I live it is unlikely I ever will. .

You can argue all day long, insult me and kick and scream. The fact is you don't live here. And you have not lived in the rural areas I did in three states that had identical problems from a dozen different providers. The only thing that changed was the name on the bill.

As to the other... I wish you all *good vision and good hearing* until the day you die. I lost both at age 70. I won't apologize for what I don't see, but I will say this much: cable is cable it makes no difference who delivers it to your door. The difference is your distance from the head-in and your location in the 'hood. Mine is lousy; it's why I have telco, and Dish -- which has thus far been superior to any cable I ever saw, and telco except SBC is one town only. The net was down 30 minutes one time in 2 years.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
This is a topic about a study that involves cellular broadband speeds, I have no idea what 95% of your post has to do with anything. Wired broadband is not the issue at hand. I have been in many rural areas of the Buffalo and Western NY area that have cable service. And DOCSIS 3 service is available in 100% of the Time Warner footprint in a given division. I’ve seen cable in areas that have no weekly garbage pick up, I’ve seen cable run on no service roads. Yes, there are many rural areas with no high speed options, but there are many that do. But all of this is completely irrelevant as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is wireless speeds.

Like I said, about 95% of your post above, I do not understand and makes no sense. I cannot comprehend what you are trying to say. The only thing I can come up with is you’re confusing the term ‘wireless’. You think the article is talking about the average wifi speed is determined by the speed of the land based connection it connected to, when the article is actually talking about mobile cellular broadband speeds from Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint and T-Mobile. Two completely different things.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.