share rss forum feed

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

Transferring my number to VOIP questions

While I am still pretty green in the whole VOIP scene. I setup my adapter, purchased the a test DID and everything seems to be working great.

I want to transfer my main line over, pretty much because I do not want to lose the number but my home phone is so rarely used that it is silly to pay the amount I do each month for it.

A few remaining questions

- Is there a FAQ on what the proper process for this is? When my line is transferred I want to just kill the DID I purchased and make the new number my main line with the voicemail attached. I have a horrible fear of accidentally killing the number I have had for the last 20 years :P

- I'm topping up $25 at a time with Paypal, once this balance is reached it just stops the line until a new payment is received? (i.e nobody could hack my line and run up a huge LD bill?). I know it will advise me at $10 but I want to make sure I cannot run up a huge credit

thx!

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Is your VoIP provider the specific company called [Voip.MS] ??

If not, you should post in the main VoIP forum.
»VOIP Tech Chat

Even if you do use the specific Voip.MS company, you may want to post in the main forum, very few people read this little sub-forum.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Dunlop

I went through pretty much the same thing - test DID etc.. and then ported my number.

The wiki explains it clearly: »wiki.voip.ms/article/Porting_a_Number

Also, when you initiate the process, the instructions are pretty detailed. If you're not sure of something, just open a ticket with voip.ms - I wasn't sure about something specific to my situation and asked them, got a reply relatively quickly.

Once the port is completed and have confirmed that everything works fine, you can go to "DID numbers/DID billing" and delete your test DID from there. Just make sure you delete the test, not the "real" one.

One important thing to keep in mind is to not cancel your service with your current phone company until the port has been completed (I've heard of some people who did that without problems, but it's stated in the instructions and I did confirm that with voip.ms before initiating the porting procedure).

I don't have an answer to your question about the balance, though you should make sure you have enough money in your account to cover the $25 porting fee.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2

Thanks for the replies, it is in fact for voip.ms

I'm having a new ISP installed tomorrow and if there are no issues I will start the DID portability process

cheers