uniqs
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh

Re: Open Mind

Why is it jumping to conclusions? They could have dropped the channel long ago, or better yet never offered it to start off with. And if they're going to "consider" their options in the future after dropping it, you can bet it won't be back. And the spectrum cry is BS. If TWC cared about the spectrum use on their networks as a whole, they'd be moving over to SDV completely or some other way to compete. Heck, they could deploy IPTV or even FTTH with some mid-sized changes to the network as a whole, but won't even do that. Instead their focused on their "Signature Home" and "1hour install windows" that others have been doing well before them.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Rakeesh

That particular channel was once LINK, World News, then Current, and now apparently Al Jazeera. It looks to me like this channel hasn't ever had much viewership, and is just kind of the turd that keeps getting kicked around. Why bother keeping it if that trend doesn't look to change any time soon? I mean ask yourself, how many people do you know that will actually regularly tune in to Al Jazeera?

I think TWC probably asked themselves the same question, and are acting accordingly.

As for IPTV and FTTH, that would take a long time and a lot of money to do. Not only are you looking at deploying new cable, but also completely field replacing CPE and throwing out standby CPE. Also if I'm not mistaken, TWC already does SDV.

And while people like you and I really want FTTH, most people don't even know what the hell that is. They'd be spending a ton of money to change to a technology that might never pay for itself.

Mind you I'm not defending TWC, they're one of those asshole companies that sticks the CCI flag on all channels. Personally I hope google kills them. However I don't think there's somebody sitting behind a desk somewhere plotting their next evil deed with their pinky pointed at their mouth. Things like the CCI flag and AJ being pulled off are more likely the result of bureaucracy.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

2 recommendations

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by Rakeesh:

That particular channel was once LINK, World News, then Current, and now apparently Al Jazeera. It looks to me like this channel hasn't ever had much viewership, and is just kind of the turd that keeps getting kicked around. Why bother keeping it if that trend doesn't look to change any time soon? I mean ask yourself, how many people do you know that will actually regularly tune in to Al Jazeera?

Sorry but this argument makes very little sense... you are saying that since the channel keeps changing it's content it has no viewership so TW should change its content?

The change from Current to Al Jazeera IS a change of content, regardless of who does it. If TW dropping the channel were not politically motivated, they would simply go with the change and make a decision based on its ratings. The people arguing that the station gets no ratings are leaving out the fact that there is almost no one that carries it. How exactly can a channel have ratings when it is unavailable? There is no doubt the channel would have higher ratings than some of the crap TW is keeping.

The change is political. Your Illuminati comment not withstanding, American media is not willing to let alternate ideas into the American mainstream where they can help it. They want to preserve the status quo where they are in control of what the majority of Americans see and think about. It is very similar to the virtual blackout of 3rd party presidential candidates and I won't be a bit surprised if other outlets also drop them.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh
It wouldn't take much money to deply FTTH on a cable network. They can easily do so with as much fiber as they have in the field. They need to replace the last what 900 feet to the customers maybe a little more? And instead of replacing the lines, they can use the same ones and pull the coax out and run the fiber right inside, the same as Buckeye Cable was trying with Owns Corning cable. And if smaller companies are deploying FTTH TWC has no reason why they can not. And may not pay for itself? How about, not having to do tech visits to install service? Ship the STB and be done with it, they could activate the entire house and the ONT remotely, Service calls would be down to basically nothing, You wouldn't have to worry about Joe Blow down the street stealing cable and screwing up the entire plant in that area. More HD, More Internet, real time video to the home using STBs and the new Skype/Asus phones that are coming out. TWC could do it, they just flat out don't want to.

And Google won't kill them. 1 Market of TWC's is nothing for them when they have countless other towns and in some areas entire states of service. And Google won't be expanding anytime soon, if at any.