how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

Lenovo Power Management

I just setup a Lenovo X230 Tablet with Windows 8 Enterprise and there is just one annoying issue which is the last thing I thought I would have issues with - the power adapter isn't charging the battery. Ive loaded and updated everything that has to do with the power management - mainly the driver itself and some Lenovo software called Settings Dependency, made sure the BIOS is updated but am unsure what else to do. A Lenovo rep told me that the battery "security chip" could be faulty which to me sounds like he's reaching but is a possibility and plan to check for that however in the likely event that isn't the cause, does anyone have any ideas? The Lenovo Power Management software never starts and the Windows native power management just states the battery is "plugged in, not charging". And yes, Ive tried multiple adapters. Lenovo's official line is Power Management isn't supported under Windows 8 however other people have got it to work and the drivers are available on their website.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
I don't have Windows 8, but the Lenovo Power Manager is a Control Panel applet in earlier versions of Windows. There's a setting to enable charging only when the remaining battery charge is below a certain percentage.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to DSMdude
What the Lenovo rep told you is, as much as it might surprise you, quite valid. Each battery has a communications controller in it, which is how the laptop (and software on the laptop) can tell what it's capacity and charge percentage is, battery manufacturer/brand, blah blah. It's very possible that either the chip in the battery, or the chip in your laptop could be bad. If you've tried multiple batteries and the behaviour is the same, then I'm inclined to think the faulty part may be in your laptop.

This certainly sounds like a hardware-level issue and not a software issue.

Bottom line: make this Lenovo's problem. They are the only ones who can help resolve a hardware issue of this nature.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DSMdude
I have a lenovo with Windows 7. Check your battery settings. I have "plugged in, not charging" and the battery is about 50% charged. This happens if you have "best battery health" selected as opposed to"optimize for best battery runtime".

I also keep the laptop plugged in. I have found that if for some reason it is unplugged for a while, it will detect that and change the setting to optimize for best battery runtime and continuously charge the battery.

I hope this helps and is what is causing the problem.

Sincerely, Libra

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON
I have no way of selecting that since I cant get the battery management software to work with Windows 8. However I tried another battery and its charging fine so its nothing to do with my system. Im having Lenovo send me a new battery under warranty.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
I'm glad you're getting a new battery. I didn't realize you couldn't access the battery management software.

Sincerely, Libra