All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FightingBlue
@frontiernet.net

FightingBlue

Anon

[DSL] No ethernet connections with a Westell modem.

Short version: Ever since Frontier "upgraded" me to a Westell modem awhile back, I've been unable to connect anything to it using the ethernet ports. I thought at first it might be a bad cable, but I tried even brand new short cables to known good devices, with no luck. I've looked all around the configuration menus, but there doesn't appear to be any options that would prevent me from using ethernet.

After a lot of frustration I gave up, and just relied on WiFi exclusively for many months. But for a bunch of reasons, that's becoming more and more impractical. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed, or is my router just busted and I need a replacement?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Is your equipment set for DHCP and have you rebooted the equipment?

FightingBlue
@frontiernet.net

FightingBlue

Anon

Naturally. It's set to defaults: Private LAN DHCP Server enabled, Private LAN enabled, router IP 192.168.1.10, DHCP start and end addresses are the default. But for all intents and purposes, when I plug in an ethernet device, it acts like there's no connection at all. It continues to display 0 devices connected via ethernet, even when stuff connecting by WiFi clicks online without any messing around. Been like this through many reboots.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to FightingBlue

MVM

to FightingBlue
Are the link lights coming on for the Westell when you connect a device? If you've done the whole reset to defaults trick and the computers work fine Wired between each other or to another router, you might just have a bad unit with a faulty Ethernet switch.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to FightingBlue

to FightingBlue
From what you (the op) describe I would also lean towards a bad or disconnected internal switch on the router. Give frontier a call and ask for a replacement modem. You have done all the proper troubleshooting so they should not give you much trouble.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

2 edits

Hank to FightingBlue

Premium Member

to FightingBlue
OK, using the reset procedure and the reset switch on the back of the modem I would reset it, as suggested by Smith, to factory default and let it reacquire the network. Make sure you have a PC or laptop connected to port E1 when preform the factory reset. If you can see the modem going through the setup process then the switch is good.

By the way, if it is a 7500 the address should be 192.168.1.1 and if it is a 7550 is should be 192.168.254.254.

By the way where are you located?

Just reread your original post. Since are able to see the modem and it appears you can see the summary page, I don't believe your modems switch is bad. Are all of the machines running the same operating system?