share rss forum feed

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

Don't Worry, It's Just ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)

Thought this was a good lesson for all of us who work on their own computers.

Enjoy!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlYi1yLTVQ

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

Good Laugh.

The last part with the discharge of the caps was something we used to do all the time. We would charge up a power supply board and then set it in the scrap bin and wait for the first person to come digging for gold.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

My Dad and I used to do repair on vacuum tube equipment and I still remember the story told by one of our customers how he reached into some de-energized equipment and got across a still charged capacitor. Knocked him right on his butt!

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

I used to repair video arcade games. As routine practice, we would replace all the caps on the monitor chassis when we would bring one in for a rebuild. There was one style chassis in particular that had a cap that would stay charged for a long period of time and that needed shorted before handling. When I first started the job, I grabbed one of these after removing the board from the cabinet, got a hell of a shock, dropped the board and then instinctively grabbed it again to keep it from hitting the floor and got shocked again. I had a headache the rest of day! LOL.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Caps are easy to deal with. However, I've learned the hard way that one can't just quickly discharge CRTs, they actually need to be kept shorted for some time. I shorted one with a screwdriver for probably about half a second, then continued with the removal. About 5 minutes later: !f@#$u%^&(c*~!+k!

From that point, I always hooked up a jumper wire that kept it continuously shorted for at least a couple of minutes before getting close to it.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tcg
Premium
join:2003-09-12
Lubbock, TX

1 recommendation

That 2nd anode will get you!

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Oregonian
A fully charged decent sized cap can make a MacGyver taser/stun gun. If it don't put 'em on their butt, it'll give ya enough time to get the upper hand.

misiek

join:2000-12-25
Round Lake, IL

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

About 5 minutes later: !f@#$u%^&(c*~!+k!

Yeah, I had that happen to me a few times too. Worked like a charm, I would remain alert for the rest of the day!