MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya to 54067323

MVM

to 54067323

Re: How to calculate the amperage of paralleled conductors???

If it's temporary, you bring in PROPERLY SIZED and RATED temporary cables. What you are doing is probably more dangerous at sea than it would be on dry land.
Ever been on a ship that's been on fire? Let me tell you firsthand - it's a whole lot of no fun. Port or not.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by nunya:

If it's temporary, you bring in PROPERLY SIZED and RATED temporary cables. What you are doing is probably more dangerous at sea than it would be on dry land.
Ever been on a ship that's been on fire? Let me tell you firsthand - it's a whole lot of no fun. Port or not.

While I agree, somehow I think that there probably isn't much left on the ship to burn.

"A couple of weeks and then we blow the ship up."
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

If it's temporary, you bring in PROPERLY SIZED and RATED temporary cables.

i would love to do that but it is not possible given the constraints I am working under, my idea was to lay in stingers but the "safety" guy shot down that idea, now we are using the ships wiring which he has signed off on.

If you have a better idea on how to rewire a steel ship built in the 50's within three days I would love to here it.

Yea about 12 years ago I burnt a cigarette to the waterline, had a little fuel problem in the engine room something lit up and the suppression system went off killing the engines and about a minute later boom.

54067323 (banned) to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

While I agree, somehow I think that there probably isn't much left on the ship to burn.

It’s pretty much steel on steel, the wiring is in steel conduit as is every junction box and everything is threadd together.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
It isn't about the ship burning. The whole damn ship can burn and the hull will still float. It's about things like old fuel/oil, insulation, wires. It's the smoke that kills below deck, not flames.